Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSc Interactive Digital Media

• 22-01-2011 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering has anyone done this course or are they doing it now?

It's one of the courses I'm considering applying for in the future, so just looking for any thoughts on it. Any use? Highly regarded by employers? Good teachers and classmates?

http://www.scss.tcd.ie/postgraduate/mscidm/

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Cheers

BTW, this page says that tuition fees are only €2,500!!! Surely that can't be right, can it? :eek: That's fvck all for a masters which seems to cover quite alot of stuff!
    I was also considering doing an MA in Cognitive Science in UCD -- it costs €7,500, and has no real career benefit for me :p (looking to get into web design)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nobody has taken this course? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Slight reference to it in this thread, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Hi, this thread was from 2011 so hopefully someone has some more up to date information.

I'm also thinking of applying for this course so I'm just wondering are there any past or current students that can give me an insight about the course such as the topics/modules covered and more about the course in general. The TCD site only provides so much information so I'd like to get a students point of view

I will (hopefully) graduate with a 1.1 in IT and I'm developing a portfolio to demonstrate my digital skills so hopefully that will be enough to be considered for a place on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

Hi

Hard enough to get into. Course Co-Ordinator very nice so you should call him and ask any q's you have. Yes it is that cheap! This course (and others) are subsidised by Govt under various different schemes to increase number of graduates in the area (so in other words its very likely that if you pass the course you'd walk into a job...most grads from the past years have)

Best of luck!

p.s - its pretty full time - you'd need to be available for fulltime study on this one - not many manage it whilst holding down work at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Thanks for the reply Hellywelly. I'll email the course co-ordinator with some on my questions and then call him if I need some more info.

I've anticipated that's its going to hard to get into so I've applied for some of the other digital media Masters just in case. Do you remember what the application process was like, is there an interview stage, I've no idea how it works?

I plan to save during the summer so I can give it my full attention so I won't be working, thanks for your advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

mcR wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Hellywelly. I'll email the course co-ordinator with some on my questions and then call him if I need some more info.

I've anticipated that's its going to hard to get into so I've applied for some of the other digital media Masters just in case. Do you remember what the application process was like, is there an interview stage, I've no idea how it works?

I plan to save during the summer so I can give it my full attention so I won't be working, thanks for your advice

Hi. Usually an interview for Trinity for this course - I don't think they take anyone on it without meeting them first. I think they then explain what the course is like also and how demanding it is..
    Not sure about any other digital media masters - I dont think TCD do another one (I work there and can't think of another one, but please correct me if there is and I can try find out for you !)

As I mentioned though Glenn is very nice and chatty so you should have no problem getting any questions answered..

Best of luck with it - it looks like a terrific course!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bluebox85

Thanks for your help Hellywelly. Yeah there is an Interactive Entertainment Technology Masters in TCD but its not quite digital media. DIT and GCD also have a digital media course so I'll apply for those as well. I'll ring Glenn with some questions before I apply so, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stevenandyray

Applied this course, and waiting for the result!!!
    Anyone already be offered a place??

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

I'm curious about this course myself! I had intended on doing an MA in radio and TV production in Maynooth but as it's such a hard industry to get into I think digital media is the way to go!! The price on this course is great tho! Most others are around €8000!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

I see this thread is a few years old but I would be interested to hear from peoples experiences with this course.
    Did the course live up to your expectations, did you get the job you wanted once you graduated etc.

Any UXers out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 miraik

Hi guys,

I'm planning on applying to this masters for 2017/2018 and was hoping someone might be able to answer some of my questions.

If any of you have gone to an interview or actually gotten on the course, what were the expectations of applicants? Did you need to show a portfolio?
    Also in general, how is the teaching, do you receive support from your lecturers/tutor, are the projects you need to do well explained (I've had some problem with this on my current course), etc...

I'm currently studying Digital Arts at Kent, so have done some Web Design, Film making and 3D among other things, but because of the diversity of the course it's all mostly on basic level. I would like to go into Web Development, but at the moment only know HTML5, CSS3 and a bit of JS. Do you think this would give me a good basis for being on the course andcould the course prepare me for a web development job afterwards?

Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Niall0010

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi guys, I applied to both the Creative Digital Media (DIT) and Interactive Digital Media (Trinity) courses. I got accepted by DIT after an interview and rejected by Trinity so naturally I accepted the offer by DIT. However Trinity have since contacted me saying they mixed up my file and would like to interview me for a place on their course. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with either of these courses and could offer me some feedback on their time studying at either university? [/font][/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]As I understand it the course at Trinity is much more theory based with the course at DIT being more practical, which is why I am leaning slightly towards DIT as I think the practical nature of the course will benefit me more when looking for a job. In saying this the course at Trinity is cheaper than DIT and as I will be funding this course myself this could be a deciding factor.[/font][/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Any help would be great,[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Niall[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sth_safal

Niall0010 wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi guys, I applied to both the Creative Digital Media (DIT) and Interactive Digital Media (Trinity) courses. I got accepted by DIT after an interview and rejected by Trinity so naturally I accepted the offer by DIT. However Trinity have since contacted me saying they mixed up my file and would like to interview me for a place on their course. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with either of these courses and could offer me some feedback on their time studying at either university? [/font][/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]As I understand it the course at Trinity is much more theory based with the course at DIT being more practical, which is why I am leaning slightly towards DIT as I think the practical nature of the course will benefit me more when looking for a job. In saying this the course at Trinity is cheaper than DIT and as I will be funding this course myself this could be a deciding factor.[/font][/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Any help would be great,[/font][/font]

Hi Nial,

Did you go with the course at DIT or TCD? I have applied for the IDM course at TCD and am waiting for the reply. Hopefully I will see you there?

-Safal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'm doing this course this year. So see yizzers there if anyone else here is doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GraceCareer

pinksoir wrote: »
    I'm doing this course this year. So see yizzers there if anyone else here is doing it!
    Hi! I've just been accepted on this course also, and was wondering if you have any information on how the fees required? Is the EU grant still applicable on this course?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GraceCareer

Niall0010 wrote: »

Hi, what is the cost of this masters?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jmonreal

How's the course?
    Do you recommend it?
    What kind of job do you might pursue after it?
    Is it suitable for UX Designers? or anyone seeking that path?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jmonreal

pinksoir wrote: »

How's the course?
    Do you recommend it?
    What kind of job do you might pursue after it?
    Is it suitable for UX Designers? or anyone seeking that path?

Advertisement