Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pick me a team

• 10-03-2012 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen this in American football and tried to help the OP, wondering can I get some advice here

I've watched pretty much every baseball film out there
    Have read Moneyball and the John Feinstein book Living on the Black: Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember
    And getting the ESPN baseball podcasts

I have an interest but there's a lot to learn and I want to take it further and get into it

What team out there has a rich and ancient history but are sleeping giants now.
    Realy struggling at the moment, dreaming of better times but they could improve
    I'd like to support a team like that

Is that the Baltimore Orioles?
    I've read a few forums and the fans seem to hate the owner Peter Angelos. But the team has a long history

I know say just watch all I can and I don't pick the team, the team picks me :)
    But just to get started, any advise?
    This has been done in American football forum a few times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

My advice would be to not decide yet, but do take on board what other posters have to say and watch a couple of games (you could decide before this season starts by watching some spring training! ) - on ESPN America on Monday they are showing the Red Sox v the Marlins, at half 5 I think.

Also have a look around the MLB section of ESPN or Sports Illustrated website (previews of the season etc.) and maybe a team will catch your eye there! Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just watch a few games when the season starts and a team will pick you. You'll come to like some team's style or attitude or you'll like some player so pick your team that way.

One bit of advice though would be to pick an East coast or at worst a Central Time Zone team. Their games will be more watchable than temas out West where the games won't start until 2-3am in the morning.

Also, please don't go down the glory hunting route and pick the Yankees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I have an interest but there's a lot to learn and I want to take it further and get into it

Is that the Baltimore Orioles?

Welcome to the baseball forum Mike!
    To answer your initial question; NO! It is not the Baltimore Orioles. They have a terrible owner, awful luck with top prospects lately (especially pitchers), and are stuck in a division with 3 of the top 6 six teams in the AL, and the up-and-coming Blue Jays.

I would second the other guys, don't jump on a team straight off without watching them a bit first, and East Coast definitely helps (I can attest to this as a Red Sox fan, followed them since I spent a summer in Boston in '03).

A great way to get more into the game is fantasy baseball, you will find yourself following it way more, drop me a PM if you're interested, can continue the Bengals/Ravens rivalry across sports!

Failing all that, the teams that might fit your underdog/tortured/history profile would be:
    Chicago Cubs (should be optimistic with Epstein in charge)
    LA Dodgers (new owner could spur some optimism and have 2 of the best players in baseball)
    Mets (no hope for the future though)
    Blue Jays as mentioned above
    Rays also perennial underdogs competing with Yankees & Sox
    Maybe even the Washington Nationals, great young talent, should be fun for next few years

Maybe even the Washington Nationals, great young talent, should be fun for next few years

That's a great shout Rob. The Nationals are going to be contending, if not this year, then definitely next year. Although they're in the NL East with my Mets and I shouldn't want them to do well, you can't not be impressed with Strasburg when he pitches and I can't wait to watch Bryce Harper when he gets called up. They are going to be good for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

That's a great shout Rob. The Nationals are going to be contending, if not this year, then definitely next year. Although they're in the NL East with my Mets and I shouldn't want them to do well, you can't not be impressed with Strasburg when he pitches and I can't wait to watch Bryce Harper when he gets called up. They are going to be good for years to come.
    I think they will contend this year and sneak a wild card as I think the NL race is wide open this season. Gio Gonzalez was a great pickup, Jordan Zimmerman will be better and Edwin Jackson will eat innings. If Ryan Zimmerman stays off the DL, Werth lives up to his contract and of course Harper hits when he is called up then its possible...

Another underdog team has got to be the Royals. They were a powerhouse through the late 70s/early 80s. These days they have a ton a talent and could contend in a year or two although Detroit are going to be hard to dislodge from the top of the AL Central...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thanks for the suggestions and help

I wanted a famous franchise but a tortured history. A sleeping giant with a hopefully bright future

Haven't won the World Series since 1907

And I've definitely heard of Wrigley Field, one of the most famous ballparks in the world

And while I've never been to the States I've watched a lot of shows and read a few books based in Chicago and would like the city some day
    I've been watching a documentary on the Cubs too

The team for me
    chicago_cubs_logo-9313.jpg

I wanted a famous franchise but a tortured history. A sleeping giant with a hopefully bright future

And I've definitely heard of Wrigley Field, one of the most famous ballparks in the world

And while I've never been to the States I've watched a lot of shows and read a few books based in Chicago and would like the city some day

The team for me

Welcome aboard, I hope it works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gciddy

Mikemac1:

Welcome to the fan base of arguably THE most cursed team in baseball. Talk about a team with HISTORY! I lived in Chicago for almost 8 years and been to more than a few Cubs games, and I think you have picked a great choice to follow a team. They will struggle for a couple of years, no doubt but there is some definite hope with Epstein running the show. And, unlike other recommended teams like KC, Toronto, and the like... following the Cubs will never be boring!

I am curious though, what documentary of the Cubs do you speak of? I would be interested in seeing that ...

BTW - would totally recommend you going to Chicago and seeing a Cubs game if you can manage it. The stadium has a great party atmosphere and the neighborhood of Wrigleyville can be a lot of fun.

Gciddy

gciddy wrote: »

BTW - would totally recommend you going to Chicago and seeing a Cubs game if you can manage it. The stadium has a great party atmosphere and the neighborhood of Wrigleyville can be a lot of fun.

Gciddy

Wrigley field and Wrigleyville are great. I was only at one game there but it was great and even as a fan of the away team, the crowd were great.

I didn't enjoy the troughs in the toilets though. That was an experience I'll certainly remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

gciddy wrote: »
    I am curious though, what documentary of the Cubs do you speak of? I would be interested in seeing that ...

I'll second that, catching a game in the States is awesome, have been to Fenway several times and loved it. From what I've heard from friends in Chicago, Wrigley is the same.

Don't know exactly which documentary Mike is referring to, but there was a good one recently from ESPN, called 'Catching Hell'. More about the Bartman thing, and scapegoats in general but very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gciddy

I'll second that, catching a game in the States is awesome, have been to Fenway several times and loved it. From what I've heard from friends in Chicago, Wrigley is the same.

Don't know exactly which documentary Mike is referring to, but there was a good one recently from ESPN, called 'Catching Hell'. More about the Bartman thing, and scapegoats in general but very good.

I saw 'Catching Hell' and found it very interesting! I was living in Chicago when the whole thing occurred watching it on TV. I could not believe my eyes at the time - but more telling than how Bartman innocently interfered in the catching of the foul ball was how EASILY the Cubs folded once that happened. At the end of the day it was a foul ball and caused no runs to be scored, but somehow the Cubs could not hold it together after that.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Welcome aboard! You now need to learn this song. We don't get to play it very often, but when the Cubs win it is a good day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Only one team in Chi-Town, THE Sox!

What a team! AJ, Paulie, Mark, Jermaine and Ozzie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Also, please don't go down the glory hunting route and pick the Yankees!

He's bias! He's a Mets fan! haha

Well I'm a Yankees fan but I've got a strong family link living in the Bronx, surely I can get a pass for that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭TempPeck

are you starting to regret your Cubs choice yet??
    You can still change your team before the season ends.
    Its like a warranty period.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

TempPeck wrote: »
    are you starting to regret your Cubs choice yet??
    You can still change your team before the season ends.
    Its like a warranty period.

:D

Exciting years ahead for the cubbies, well worth persevering.

once a cub, always a cub. the warranty expired years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Should've picked the Orioles mike, where's your Baltimore loyalty? I went to an Orioles game and it was awesome, especially compared to a yankees game I was at.

Reading forums a lot of Ravens fans hate the Orioles
    Well no, actually that's not correct

They hate the owner and refuse to support the team until the owner is gone

Sounds messy

summerskin wrote: »
    once a cub, always a cub.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Reading forums a lot of Ravens fans hate the Orioles
    Well no, actually that's not correct

They hate the owner and refuse to support the team until the owner is gone

Sounds messy
    I wouldn't blame them! When Peter Angelos bought the Orioles back in the early 90s they were perennial playoff contenders. Unfortunately it wasn't long before his meddling ways cast the team into mediocrity where they have remained until now. I'd like to see the Orioles do well this year for the fans who still support the team and not the owner...

The Orioles actually drafted Cal Ripken Jrs son today in one of the later rounds of the draft so the Ripken association with the Orioles continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

So what if the Cubs are on track to have their worst season ever. It means we can only go up from here :D

jujibee wrote: »
    So what if the Cubs are on track to have their worst season ever. It means we can only go up from here :D

They picked up some Cuban kid today (Jorge Soler) for $30m yesterday who apparently is pretty good. He's only 20 so it'll probably be a couple of years before he hits the majors but if he works out as expected, there could be good times ahead

Are you a blind optimist?

Do you think this year will be your year despite generations of failure?

Sucker for punishment?

You are a Cubs fan :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Red Sox.

Best and most historic ballpark in MLB, a history of both over-the-top inspiring wins (2004, 1975's Game 6) and crushing defeats (1986, 2003). They are part of the best rivalry in US sports (Yanks-Sox), and are in MLB's toughest divison (the AL East). They're in Boston, which loves anything and everything Irish, so you'd immediately be accepted, and while they're a bunch of overpaid whiners now, they have a young core which will tear through the league in the next few years.

Plus, you won't believe how satisfying it is to chant "Yankees Suck" with 37,000 of your closest friends.

However, if you want to go off the beaten path and make your friends question your mental health, only to look back ten years from now and realize you're actually a genius, go with the Pittsburgh Pirates. They are awful right now. Think about how bad a team could possibly get, think of the lowest depths of suckdom your mind can fathom, and then think a few steps lower, and you will get to how bad they have been for the past 2 decades. They have not had a winning season since 1992, Barry Bonds' last year as a Pirate. I went to college in Pittsburgh, and I watched them lose in every way imaginable. Plus, they have a tendency to ship out any and all players with even a modicum of talent, keeping the roster filled with rejects, has-beens, and never-will-be's.

But they've started to turn a corner, and have some great young talent. They're definitely a sleeper this year, and I bet they'll even get above .500 either this season or next. Think about how cool it would be to say you were a fan back in the day when everyone else is just getting on the bandwagon. Of course, they could ship out all their good players and suck for another 20 years, leaving you with tearing your hair out wondering why you would ever give your heart to this team. But that's the deal you strike when you become a fan of any team.

-Tyler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

The team for me

I'm disappointed that you passed over one of the most historic teams in history to root for their rivals.

Yes the Cubs have had a longer wait for a win. But the Reds were the first pro team in baseball, paying their players for the 1st time in 1869 (including a player from Cavan). They were the first team to play a game under lights in 1935 (For the 75th anniversary a couple of years ago, they sold some concessions at 1935 prices, 5cents for a bag of peanuts was awesome. (They had the "Big Red Machine" team in the 70s (if you're interested in baseball history, it's worth looking this up) And a world series win in 1990.

Some of the greatest players in the history of the game have been through cincinnati (Johnny Bench, Frank Robinson and of course Pete Rose)

The Reds have always been, and still are a small market team. After 20 years in the shadows, they are finally starting to be competitive again (won National League Central in 2010 and 2012) but still have not won a playoff series since the 90s. They were swept by the Phillies in the NLDS in 2010 and lost 3-2 to the Giants this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LoneDRanger

Certainly the Cubs are a lot of fans 2nd favourite team. As a Canuck, I adopted the late, lamented Montreal Expos back in 1969. I've slowly become a Blue Jays fan over the past couple of decades and am very pleased at the off-season acquisitions they've made this year.

But if you don't have a home team - the Cubs are lovable losers and all ball fans will be happy when they finally win it all.

2013 will be the Cubs year!! :D

Had a great first season watching ball
    And finished second in the board fantasy league :)

On to to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

2013 will be the Cubs year!! :D

It's well seen you can smile about it...:D

Keep dreaming! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Cubs payroll for 2013 around $42million, down from $87million in 2012.....most of that is the 17 million or so they give to underperforming soriano.....tough to win these days without paying out.

Advertisement