Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pokemon General Discussion Thread

• 02-07-2011 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I didn't really see one of these so I thought I'd stick one in here >.<

I'm thinking of doing a Caterpie only playthrough of Yellow but I heard it was impossible because of Ghost type pokemon and Agatha of the Elite 4

Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

You could always Struggle and heal constantly but I'd imagine Caterpie's BST would be too low, you could always give it a shot tho, and keep me posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Not sure, really. Conflicting information from what I can see.

Struggle on Bulbapedia says that in Gen 2: "Struggle now inflicts normal damage to Steel-type Pokémon as well as Rock-type, and hits Ghost-type Pokémon even if the user has not previously used Foresight." That to me says that it used to not affect Ghost-types and did ineffective damage to Rock-types in Gen 1, but I'm not sure about that.

Actually, this pretty much confirms you can't do it. On the Normal-type page on BP:

Every Pokémon uses [Struggle] when unable to use regular moves, cannot miss, not affected by resistances or immunities (not the case in Gen 1), user loses 25% of maximum HP (in Gen 1-3, 50% recoil).

Combined with the fact that the CPU Pokémon don't ever run out of PP...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

The best way to find out is to play!

Viva lá 010.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Actually, while this thread is fresh, is Swinub released in Dream World yet? I want me a Thick Fat Mamoswine with Icicle Crash. It is proving brain hurty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Replaying SoulSilver on a long trip, caught an Unown for the ****z and the giggles, I'd be better off tapping the screen with a spoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The worst pokemon that can be used to complete RBY is Weedle as Poison Sting can hit Ghosts.

Technically Kakuna is probably worse because it has a lower speed stat.

Technically Kakuna is probably worse because it has a lower speed stat.

15 less Speed AND 10 less Attack ;)

Anybody forsee a Ruby/Sapphire remake on the horizon? I understand that they weren't as popular as R/B/Y/G/S/C, but they still went on, including Emerald, to sell around 20 million units, which isn't that far behind. Also, there's kind of a connectivity issue, considering getting your Gen 3 squads onto a Gen 5 cart is somewhat convoluted. I guess I really just want to have another jaunt around Hoenn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd say its kinda likely what with the newer DS systems not being able to connect to GBA games. Wouldn't hold my breath though. Sapphire is my favouritest game ever BTW so it would be nice to see an update :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd definitely get a R/S/E remake, as long as it's not 3DS only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

They should do the decent thing, make Gen 1-3 available via the 3DS eShop with added GTS and wireless trading support as well as a stand-alone free export application that let's you move 'mon from those games to the DS/3DS cart in the slot. They'd make a mint and their distribution overheads would be minimal.

Yea, that's what I think will end up happening. They'll be brought back as downloadable games. While I think we'd all love a remake, I doubt it will happen since they still have some loose tie between Gen 3 and Gen 5 with the people who still have GBA slots.

Plus the advent of GTS and with the 'mon being made available through other games has kinda eliminated the need for even Gen 3.

Bear in mind the main reason FR/LG and HG/SS were made is because Gen 1-2 are isolated from the others since you can't go GBC to GBA.

TheChrisD wrote: »

Bear in mind the main reason FR/LG and HG/SS were made is because Gen 1-2 are isolated from the others since you can't go GBC to GBA.

Yeah, weren't they also supposed to celerbate the anniversaries of said games? I mean, it'd be cheap enough to re-do Ruby and Sapphire, there's
    not nearly as much design work to do as one would on a typical game, just an engine update, the Pokemon/Nintendo premium's there too and I think there might be a temptation to get something Poke-related onto the 3DS, just to make sure it's got a future.

It could work, I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So I'm kind of considering going for a full living dex on Black. I reckon it's achieveable enough, just getting legendaries should be the only problem. Any advice? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Have a full living dex on diamond (bar the unobtainables). Still working through the white dex. Much more difficult than doing it on diamond as most pokemon seem to evolve at much higher levels than previous generations. Best of luck, its gonna be a long road to completling it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

Be careful of catching too many mon like I did in my white game. Well not so much catching them as opposed to sending over nearly every pokémon from the previous games. I must have three if not four sets of legendary dogs :/

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Anybody forsee a Ruby/Sapphire remake on the horizon? I understand that they weren't as popular as R/B/Y/G/S/C, but they still went on, including Emerald, to sell around 20 million units, which isn't that far behind. Also, there's kind of a connectivity issue, considering getting your Gen 3 squads onto a Gen 5 cart is somewhat convoluted. I guess I really just want to have another jaunt around Hoenn.
    I wouldn't have imagined a remake but some of the new merchandise seems to indicate it:
    Pokemon Time RSE
    Starter Keychains/charms

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I didn't want to make a new thread for something that might be answered in a few words.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Celebi_Egg_glitch

Has anyone done that and more importantly, did it work with no issues? The hardest part looks like getting the two level 57 Sneasel's needed. Nobody else seems to learn Beat Up and it isn't a TM.

Apparently, there's a big announcement regarding Pokemon's future coming on the 8th of January. Granted, this news is skimmed from the end of a Black 2/White 2 trailer, and offers no hint as to whether it's game/movie/spin-off related, but hey, internet + reasons to be baselessly speculate most often equals fun times.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=193547

- info comes from the end of a Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 trailer
    - details say next big news regarding Pokémon will be revealed on January 8th 2013
    - no details on if the info is game related or something else having to do with Pokemon

Mark the day on your calendars, friends. Let's hope we don't end up disappointed! Thanks to VGAMER for the heads up.

Money seems to be on Ruby/Sapphire remakes, but if that's the case, they'd most likely be DS games, as I don't envision Ninty blowing the main-series' 3DS debut on a pair of remakes, and given the amount of dev time still involved, I don't see'em continuing DS support for that much longer.

It could also be a tease for Gen 6 for 2014, considering Nintendo tends to announce these things over a year in advance, and generation cycles tend to be 4 years.

Mostly likey, it's just a new movie or some such.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd be quite happy with a remake of Ruby/Sapphire, I'd actually been expecting them before the announcement of Black 2 and White 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ruby/Sapphire hopefully. 3ds has been out for 20 months now. Where's ma pogiez?

I think there's definitely something Ruby/Sapphire related in the works, as I checking out Egoraptor's latest 'Did You Know' Pokemon vid, and the Bulbapedia article on B2/W2's beta, and there's data relating to Gen-3 items, not present in any Gen-4/early Gen-5 title, such as the Fame Checker.

I'd link the Bulbapedia article, but Google's flashing me a malware warning, if anyone's got a decent anti-virus and is curious.

I'm honestly a little surprised if they go ahead with them, considering the original justification behind the remakes was that it opened up Pokemon that weren't available in current gens, due to the tech-gap, but that's been compensated for heavily with the mixings of Gen-4 and bits of Gen-5, and Gen-3, despite being a fave of mine, is considered to be the era in which a lot of the original followers of the franchise checked out, thus I'd not consider them prime candidates for a re-do, but I'll take it with joy if they do pop up.

Just did my first ever play through of Red with one single Pokemon :D Charmander too just to make it harder to begin with. Had a Charmeleon going into Brock and a level 52 Charizard by the time I got to Erika meaning I had very little trouble along the way.

Also had a female Nidoran that I evolved to Nidoqueen because obviously Charmander cant learn surf. I only picked Nidoran because I misread Bulbapedia and thought they could learn cut, surf and strength. Turns out they cant learn cut until later gen's. She never saw a trainer battle and was dumped into the PC when I got to the Pokemon league, along with Lapras whom I accidently got. I forgot who gave her to you :o Charmander was the only one to see competitive action.

Lance was the only person I had any issues with. Dragonite almost did me in before a Mega Punch KO'd him. Was PRAYING you got to use potions before going into the rival battle, as I couldnt remember if you did or if it just pushed you straight through. Thankfully I did and was able to dispose of him with seven hits, five one hit KO's :D

I now have a level 79 Charizard and no clue what to do next :pac:

Learn something new every day.

I always thought the most effective method of beating Brock in Yellow was with a Butterfree. It turns out Mankey + Low Kick = Awesome. Only found out because I forgot to put Butterfree at the top of the lift so decided to see how Mankey did when he popped out.

All the effort I used to put into Butterfree and he would often lose to Onix anyway....

Is their any more like that which I've been missing out on?
    Misty: Bulbasaur/Pikachu
    Surge: Geodude/Diglett/Mankey??
    Erika: Charmander/Pidgey
    Sabrina: Think I usually use a Haunter for her? Along with hope :pac:
    Koga: Charmander
    Blane: Squirtle
    Giovanni: Squirtle/Bulbasaur

Or whatever their evolution is at the time.

Haunter was no good in RBY. Ghost couldn't hit psychic at all in those games even though it was supposed to, and its part poison typing meant it was boned.

Trailer for Pokemon Movie 16: Mewtwo's Awakening.

Badass-hero Mewtwo, f**k yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I just realised that Venonat looks like Butterfree. I looked even further and saw that Metapod looks like Venomoth.

This puts all my beliefs into question. I don't know who I am anymore.

Trying to watch all the episodes and movies in order but I'm having trouble finding out where the movies fit in. I know the first one follows on from The Battle of the Badge episode but after that the best I can find without spoilers is one movie per season. That isnt exactly helpful. I know the movies for the most part dont overlap into the TV show but I still want to watch them. When would be the best time to watch each? Start of the season, middle of the season, end of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Movies are generally released in the summer, and there's 15 of them I think, so end of the seasons, Japanese-wise, as far as I can tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Can honestly say, the only movie ive seen is the first one, and that was in cinema where you got a free pokemon card with your ticket.

Are they worth watching, or are the like the tv show.

Advertisement