Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

spacetweek wrote: »
    Easier said than done! Land needed, crossing points at each overbridge and junction etc.

I totally agree. And somebody with Sean Canvey's background should know better. This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion, the extra planning alone for the bridges would set the project back another year. Totally a "greenway bandwagon" jumping, politically-pandering to the masses suggestion from Canney. Every God - damn time there is news on this project, it's kicking the can further on down the road.......... Plus, a greenway should be in a quiet scenic area, not along a damn motorway. Can anybody guess that I'm angry with this idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

jenningso wrote: »
    I totally agree. And somebody with Sean Canvey's background should know better. This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion, the extra planning alone for the bridges would set the project back another year. Totally a "greenway bandwagon" jumping, politically-pandering to the masses suggestion from Canney. Every God - damn time there is news on this project, it's kicking the can further on down the road.......... Plus, a greenway should be in a quiet scenic area, not along a damn motorway. Can anybody guess that I'm angry with this idea!

His comments are an attempt to stop the growing support for a greenway along the Western Rail Corridor, unbelievably transparent. Thank goodness they are being ignored and the contracts have been signed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

westtip wrote: »
    Thank goodness they are being ignored

Looks like this is the case, Galway Co Co are saying they expect the contracts to be signed in february

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/2104-motorway-set-for-major-move
    Michael Timmins, senior engineer at Galway County Council, said that the contracts for the major road project, which will complete the motorway from Galway to Limerick, are expected to be signed this February.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

antoobrien wrote: »
    Looks like this is the case, Galway Co Co are saying they expect the contracts to be signed in february

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/2104-motorway-set-for-major-move
    Great news anto! Thanks for posting this and keeping us up to date.

I read the Connacht Tribune article. Who is this Deirdre Frost person? I know she's the "Policy Analyst with the Western Development Commission" but I mean, look at this (from the article):
    Ms Frost said that over the past 10 to 15 years, State investment in transport was “entirely on radial and inter-urban routes from Dublin to the regions and connecting Dublin to the cities in the regions” to the neglect of the West.
    "Entirely"? WTF kind of sh1te is this? M18? N17? (Knock and Claremorris bypasses, recent Castletown re-alignment, recent improvement in Milltown->Ballindine stretch (even if that was in reaction to the horrendous fatal crash)). Completion of Limerick bypass including Shannon Tunnel? WRC from Limerick to Galway?

And the typical canard about the M6 "only" serving Dublin. How many thousands of Galway commuters use it every day?
    Construction on the Gort to Tuam element of the Atlantic Corridor network is to begin in 2014 and that is very welcome but from a regional perspective the real problem is that it has taken so long. I know there were issues, but a lot of the issues with respect to that road are financial and part of the reason they are financial is it took so long to get the project commenced.
    We fcukin ran out of money!!! (In case you hadn't noticed)
    Ms Frost also pointed to data which supported the argument for the reopening of the northern section of the Western Rail Corridor, from Tuam to Galway.
    Oh, FFS :rolleyes:

I'm all in favour of balanced regional development, but this "ye up in Dublin are all agin the Wesht" crawthumping nonsense really pisses me off :mad:

serfboard wrote: »

You're welcome.
    I read the Connacht Tribune article. Who is this Deirdre Frost person? I know she's the "Policy Analyst with the Western Development Commission" but I mean, look at this (from the article):

"Entirely"? WTF kind of sh1te is this? M18? N17? (Knock and Claremorris bypasses, recent Castletown re-alignment, recent improvement in Milltown->Ballindine stretch (even if that was in reaction to the horrendous fatal crash)). Completion of Limerick bypass including Shannon Tunnel? WRC from Limerick to Galway?

I didn't mention it because it doesn't ring true really. As you pointed out, national transport projects stopped due to the economic problems.

Her thoughts seem to be railing against the attitude that the motorway network is complete because all the cities are linked to Dublin (something I got into a few arguments over while I worked in Dublin), it's just a pity that she didn't put it that way.

I'll post a summary of the print version of the article later (they only post about half the article online).

• Advertisement

Her thoughts seem to be railing against the attitude that the motorway network is complete
    Sorry to be pedantic, but with this announcement, and excluding the M20, that's true.

The rest of the work needing to be done on the network will be dual carriageway (like the recent Castleisland and Tralee bypasses, and like the planned/stalled N22/N24 work) and high-quality single carriageway (like the N5 Ballaghadereen bypass, currently being built).

(The GCOB I don't consider as motorway (even if it will be technically for a stretch)).

Edit: I see from here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88377619&postcount=233 that there is an M11 outstanding - but I expect that to be started before the Minister for Wexford runs for re-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Sorry to be pedantic, but with this announcement, and excluding the M20, that's true.

The rest of the work needing to be done on the network will be dual carriageway (like the recent Castleisland and Tralee bypasses, and like the planned/stalled N22/N24 work) and high-quality single carriageway (like the N5 Ballaghadereen bypass, currently being built).

(The GCOB I don't consider as motorway (even if it will be technically for a stretch)).

Edit: I see from here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88377619&postcount=233 that there is an M11 outstanding - but I expect that to be started before the Minister for Wexford runs for re-election.

When economic circumstances permit, there would still be scope for an extension of the M4 to Longford, for an M2 to be built from the M1 in Louth to the border, linked into an A5 (M), and for a Leinster Outer Orbital Motorway to enable traffic from all directions to avoid the M50 and to provide greater connectivity between the regions. The N25 Cork to Rosslare, N24 Limerick to Waterford and the N17/N15/N13 Tuam-Sligo-Derry-Letterkenny routes require major upgrades, as do the two major roads into Kerry (N21, N22) and it is possible that some sections of these routes may be upgraded to motorway.

Ireland's national primary route network still requires major improvements and it is impossible to say whether or not some of these improvements will be built as motorways.

Whatever the opinions of posters here, decisions about new motorways will ultimately be taken by politicians and we all know that delivering a motorway for 'their' voters can take priority over any other considerations.

It would not surprise me to see major extensions to Ireland's motorway network along the lines above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

And the typical canard about the M6 "only" serving Dublin. How many thousands of Galway commuters use it every day?

We fcukin ran out of money!!! (In case you hadn't noticed)

Oh, FFS :rolleyes:

I'm all in favour of balanced regional development, but this "ye up in Dublin are all agin the Wesht" crawthumping nonsense really pisses me off :mad:

Agreed. The Motorway to Tuam is going ahead before the M20, and the WRC is taking money out of IÉ's budget that could be spent on improving line speeds across the network and even double tracking Portarlington to Athlone, and closing level crossings on the Galway line, increasing speeds to both Westport and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The N11 HQDC under construction, needs an access for Coillte to a forest of theirs. So the Motorway laws need changing, or there will be 3 M11's instead of 2.

The N40 should be Motorwayised also, at least the bit under the Lee and over Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

The N11 HQDC under construction, needs an access for Coillte to a forest of theirs. So the Motorway laws need changing, or there will be 3 M11's instead of 2.

The N40 should be Motorwayised also, at least the bit under the Lee and over Douglas.

re n11 - this is what i got from contractor. Perhaps the Coillte access from the new N11 is for emergencies (fires etc) only.

Thank you for your enquiry.
    The new section of N11 will be dual carriageway and of sufficient standard to be re-designated as motorway. There are no plans for re-designation at present. The route of the new road is to the west of the Ballinameesda bends; the Coillte access will be from the existing N11 which will be re-designated as a Regional Road when the new section is opened to traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That seems to be different to the impression given earlier, that the forestry would access off the mainline.
    Looks a dead cert for motorway from the get go so

Just another gentle kick further up the road.............. Can they get it any nearer to the local elections!

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/4071-contract-for-gort-to-tuam-motorway-awaits-financial-arranegements

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

Just another gentle kick further up the road.............. Can they get it any nearer to the local elections!

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/4071-contract-for-gort-to-tuam-motorway-awaits-financial-arranegements

My understanding is that there are severe penalties for not completing the contract on time in PPP projects. I can't imagine that they will arse around at fencing until the summer if they sign in February. Time will tell I guess

Come on at least pretend you've read the whole 4 lines
    Galway bay fm newsroom - The contract for the much-anticipated Gort to Tuam motorway won't be signed until next month, despite assurances late last year from the Taoiseach and Transport Minister that the project would get underway early in the New Year.

A spokesperson for the National Roads Authority says the Government funding is in place and the contractor is now organising the private element of finance.

It's hoped the contract will be signed before the end of February.

However it could be at least summer before major works and machinery will be seen on site, after the contractor completes advance works such as fencing and site clearance.

Come on at least pretend you've read the whole 4 lines

I have read it! Contracts are still not signed! You must remember similar articles mentioning machinery would be onsite early 2014?

You must remember similar articles mentioning machinery would be onsite early 2014?

I do. And nothing in that article is ruling that out.

I'd just love to know what the delay is - seeing as the government portion of the funding is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

I do. And nothing in that article is ruling that out.

I'd just love to know what the delay is - seeing as the government portion of the funding is in place.

This must be the most anticipated road scheme since the Naas Dual carraigeway

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I've been following this thread nearly daily since the first post, so yes it is eagerly awaited. Actually bought in north galway in the belief the road would get built :D

Just checked first post.... jeez 2007!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

First post 2007, as a landowner on the scheme we have been waiting since 2001 for it to begin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

sonnyblack wrote: »
    This must be the most anticipated road scheme since the Naas Dual carraigeway

Newlands? M50 upgrade? Moatf2f enfield mountrath abbeyleix fermoy... All much much more beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Wouldn't all the funding have to be in place before you sign a contract?

As of 26/11/2013, that's two months ago, it doesn't seem to be...

The European Investment Bank is currently helping to fund the works at Newlands Cross and at the N11 at Rathnew. We are also confident, although I do not want to jump the gun, that it will help to fund the M17-M18. I hope that will go to a financial close and start construction in quarter 1 of next year, but it is a PPP, which involves construction companies, banks and pension funds. These must all go to their boards and credit committees and the rest and clear the project, which can take some time. I believe it will happen in quarter 1 of next year, but if it does not happen then, that will not be due to a lack of effort on my part or that of the NRA.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/TR52013112600005

Newlands? M50 upgrade? Moatf2f enfield mountrath abbeyleix fermoy... All much much more beneficial.

Obviously you don't deal with Claregalway on your daily commute! However each to their own, every region have different needs. Here in the west, it is classed as urgent, along with the Galway Bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Newlands? M50 upgrade? Moatf2f enfield mountrath abbeyleix fermoy... All much much more beneficial

Quite true but how many upgrades does the m50 and M1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9 go through before we start to build a national motorway system rather than Dublin centric system. Road development brings job and further development. M50 is a classic example of development following investment. It was built under spec for many reasons, money in the 80,90, politics, developers, we don't need a massive motorway brigade. But most of the m50 is now 3 or more lanes.

m20, m18, m17 are the first steps in making the motorways system truly national. If the "don't need a massive motorway brigade" have their way the country will stagnate. If the "don't need a massive motorway down in the backend of nowhere brigiade" have their way, then well have a 5 lane m50 and a Leinster outer loop which would effectively mean a city state.

I’m sure I just riled up the "you culchies are always complaining" brigade now. I've lived outside of Ireland for many years and travel international for work. China, Africa, the Americas last year, I have seen how always responding to the road that need a new lane now! can lead to super cities surrounded by poverty and holiday villas. Ireland is not that way yet, but without a truely national motorway system, large parts of the country will fall further behind. Ireland not that big, nowhere should be more that 4 hours away by car. Oranmore to cliften should not take more time than Oramnore to Dublin, galway bypass please. We can comlpete a national syatem fairly easily.
    completing the m20,17,18, some improvemnts to the N5, working with NI to complete the a5, something from limerick to waterford/wexford, would bring most of the country to be within 60Km of a safe divide dual carrageway.
    Alternative is a Dublin of 3 million wanting the m50 to be 7 lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Obviously you don't deal with Claregalway on your daily commute! However each to their own, every region have different needs. Here in the west, it is classed as urgent, along with the Galway Bypass.
    I guess you never sat in moatdm or abbeyleix pre 2008. While obviously CG needs bypassing badly, the other schemes did much more for road users coming to or from a bigger city. For moate and enfield, the galway mans trip. Y Dublin was also benefited.

I can't see enough uptake of this route by traffic going to galway. Too circuitous. Hope I'm wrong. But still I would take newlands over this any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

As any provincial (Culchie) could tell you it 's all about the capital - if this wee country was a boat we would be shifting a bit of ballast to the Atlantic side

I guess you never sat in moatdm or abbeyleix pre 2008. While obviously CG needs bypassing badly, the other schemes did much more for road users coming to or from a bigger city. For moate and enfield, the galway mans trip. Y Dublin was also benefited.

I can't see enough uptake of this route by traffic going to galway. Too circuitous. Hope I'm wrong. But still I would take newlands over this any day.

I did, every second Friday when I was dating my now wife who is from Dublin... so had to deal with Loughrea also! Moate I agree was the worst, however Claregalway is also bad...

Ive lived in Dublin, limerick and Cork in the early 2000s and to see the improvements such as bypasses etc are great but shows up how far behind Galway has been left...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Problem is everyone sees their traffic jam as the worst. Doesn’t matter where in the world you go they always have the worst traffic according to the locals.

Problem in Ireland is that parts of the country are now on phase 2 or 3 of redevelopment of their infrastructure while others lack basic access. m20, m17,18, N5/M5 A5 and (Galway bypass) would go a long way to finishing a national motorway system. However the major interurban completed it easy to forget those who live over 50-to 80Km form a motorway or 40km from a decent S2. If one can get to a decent road within 20 to 30 minutes then the world is open for business. (S2 can be decent roads) we don't need motorways to everyone’s front door.

I mention the Galway bypass as if you live west of Galway city the you are essentially cut off from the existing roads system. For large parts of the day/week. Which is similar to being in north Mayo Sligo Lietrim, Donegal, Cavan etc. no investment, No access, no jobs, so move to Dublin and make it more congested.

Alot of ths is a lack of local funding issue, which cannot be sovled with out a proper local tax system.

Completing the national system, m20, m17,18, N5/M5 A5 (NI) should happen before we start ungrading what was built 10-15 years ago. And to all those who say "you dont need a motorway from galway to sligo", well you are probabily the same people that want sections of the m7 etc expanded to m3 lanes, or newlands completed. Build for the future (40 years out)not for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Design for scheme due to start in august with Construction starting in 2015

You can't surely be talking about the Gort-Tuam road? Are you thinking of the Galway Outer Bypass perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's already designed, it's starting in a few weeks.

Advertisement