Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overrated Albums?

• 16-01-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Going through my CDs recently and I came across Carlos Santana- Supernatural so I threw into the car and have been listening to it..

Now this album was hailed as the greatest thing since slice pan when it came out and received all sorts of awards...8 Grammys!!

I had to turn it off towards the end as I was falling asleep and hence a danger to myself and other road users...

I thought this album was utterly boring and uninspiring...it put me to sleep..

Anyone else have any albums they thought were totally overrated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ni4979

Every u2 album is overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

ni4979 wrote: »

Fair enough..but IMO...the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are quiet good..no comments on anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

ni4979 wrote: »

along with coldplay albums to be honest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Odelay-Beck
    White album-Beatles
    Actung baby-U2
    Pet Sounds-Beach Boys
    What's going on-Marvin Gaye
    Critics love them but it's a case of the emperors new cloths-they're average but nobody wants to admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Pet Sounds definitely
    anything by the Whites Stripes imo (though some individual songs are alright)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭GazPat

I think it's the case with being overplayed, for me anyway, when I hear a song and like it then all of a sudden you can't get away from it,"Every bar,radio station,and even in tv programmes".

It gets to stage where you hear it and go for Fu*ks sake if I hear that again I'll go f-in mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The vast majority of double albums, as already mentioned The White Album. Add to that the Use Your Illusions, Mellon Collie..., The Wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Never Mind The B*llocks is very overrated... Sounds way too clean for a punk record.

Nirvana 'Nevermind', Pearl Jam 'Ten', Def Leppard 'Pyromania', Judas Priest 'British Steel', Motley Crue 'Dr. Feelgood', Queens Of The Stone Age in general. (QOTSA are, according to a friend of mine's cousin ''The Greatest Rock Band in the world''... I did not laugh too loud; they are good but f*ck....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Every U2 album.
    Every coldplay album.
    Everything Beatles album.
    Every Radiohead album.
    That will do for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Both albums by Republic of Loose, seriously they are the most over rated, watery, run down band 'to make it big' in Ireland ever. You can but the Blizzards in there too.
    Compared to the amazing talent out there, I wonder how these are the bands that end up with a record deal!

U2 Anything after 1990.

The Kooks - Inside in Inside out your man is so nasal and most of their music is so bland.

Any album from The Killers after Hot Fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

I think the new U2 album is the most overrated album in history. A very poor offering indeed,possibly their worst album to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lollerskater

seanybiker wrote: »

Now let's not go crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

todolist wrote: »
    Odelay-Beck
    White album-Beatles
    Actung baby-U2
    Pet Sounds-Beach Boys
    What's going on-Marvin Gaye
    Critics love them but it's a case of the emperors new cloths-they're average but nobody wants to admit it.

I'd have to disagree with you on most of them (never been asred listening to the white album). Most of those albums are great, especially what's going on. that's one of my favourite ever albums. Let's get it on is also fantastic

but there are a lot of albums that appear in Q magazines seemingly twice yearly run down of greatest ever albums that bore the bejaysus out of me, such as anything by smashing pumpkins, strokes, oasis or ocean colour scene

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I know it not fashionable to like U2 at the moment and I am certainly not their biggest fan but I cannot regard "Achtung Baby" as overrated:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

seanybiker wrote: »
    Every U2 album.
    Every coldplay album.
    Every Radiohead album.
    That will do for the moment.

I agree on Coldplay and most of U2 albums but Every Beatles and Radiohead album? Thats madness. I'm curious to know what you like. Not because I love radiohead and the beatles....I'm genuinely curious to know what someone who doesn't like these would listen to.

I think Use your illusion (both) are overrated. I'm not saying they are sh*t, just that they are overrated. Also, The Who.........no album in particular, just in general. I'll admit I've only listened to greatest hits and the live leeds gig but I don't get it. Anyone recommend an album to convert me?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I think the new U2 album is the most overrated album in history. A very poor offering indeed,possibly their worst album to date.

Did anybody actually rate it though?

Never saw what the big deal was about Jeff Buckley's grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I agree on Coldplay and most of U2 albums but Every Beatles and Radiohead album? Thats madness. I'm curious to know what you like. Not because I love radiohead and the beatles....I'm genuinely curious to know what someone who doesn't like these would listen to.

I think Use your illusion (both) are overrated. I'm not saying they are sh*t, just that they are overrated. Also, The Who.........no album in particular, just in general. I'll admit I've only listened to greatest hits and the live leeds gig but I don't get it. Anyone recommend an album to convert me?

i'm not a major fan of the who either but I do think Who's next is a deadly album. got some great tunes: behind blue eyes, baba o'riley, won't get fooled again. and going mobile is good fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It's not overrated. Majority of reviews say it isn't very good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I know it not fashionable to like U2 at the moment

It never was mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Who.........no album in particular, just in general. I'll admit I've only listened to greatest hits and the live leeds gig but I don't get it. Anyone recommend an album to convert me?

Who's next.

1. "Baba O'Riley"
    2. "Bargain"
    3. "Love Ain't for Keeping"
    4. "My Wife" (John Entwistle)
    5. "The Song Is Over"
    6. "Getting in Tune"
    7. "Going Mobile"
    8. "Behind Blue Eyes"
    9. "Won't Get Fooled Again"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RAMAN

The last three U2 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Coldplay
    The Killers
    Arctic Monkey's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

loved gnrs use your illusion albums,actung baby is brillant too,way i see it,if theres anything thats advertised as "critically acclaimed" i know its going to be ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 tayto2009

radiohead overated tripe........coldplay more tripe......u2 pure class sorry thats fact....no arguments please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

found radiohead/coldplay depressing too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Who's next.

1. "Baba O'Riley"
    2. "Bargain"
    3. "Love Ain't for Keeping"
    4. "My Wife" (John Entwistle)
    5. "The Song Is Over"
    6. "Getting in Tune"
    7. "Going Mobile"
    8. "Behind Blue Eyes"
    9. "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Whoa! How's that for an opening and closing track? Those tunes are awesome. Thought tbh, Baba O riley is way too sad to be track 1.
    Album ends on a high I guess.

I hate Coldplay and think most of their songs are ****, but they are like U2 only moreso in that the band/singer has a presence you can't really deny. It's not so much talent, as a grudging respect - they have the 'big' feel.

Fair enough..but IMO...the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are quiet good..no comments on anything else

Maybe I'm a philistine, but Joshua Tree only seemed to have the major singles. The rest of it seemed really boring.

Pink Floyd? I never really got the fuss about them. Joni Mitchell and Blue.
    Led Zep album, can't recall the name. Marvin Gaye What's goin on?

Many would say Urban Hymns too but I like The Verve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 nige_jude

Damien Rice - O

Couldn't dig this album at all. Sounded like one long song the whole way through, and the tempo doesn't seem to exceed 10 bpm on any song.

Advertisement