Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why a per-month charge for replacing Annual tickets?

• 17-10-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭

A coworker lost his Annual Rail Ticket.
    The FAQ says that the replacement cost is a multiple of the number of months left on the ticket (12-20 euro per month).

What is the logic/justification for the per-month charge? I would expect that the amount of work involved would be the same regardless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

I suspect it's because they can't hotlist/cancel tickets so the old ticket will still be out there and possibly being used. In effect they're penalising you for losing your ticket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

daymobrew wrote: »
    A coworker lost his Annual Rail Ticket.
    The FAQ says that the replacement cost is a multiple of the number of months left on the ticket (12-20 euro per month).

What is the logic/justification for the per-month charge? I would expect that the amount of work involved would be the same regardless.

I thought the first replacment was free and after that you paid a montly cost for how ever long you have left?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think they do it because they can, but it does create a monitoring headache for them to have lots of double tickets out there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the tickets have to go through a machine, they should be able to read the ID off the ticket and use CCTV to nail the culprit.

Or at least put a sign up or dummy camera up so people think that what's happing.

In France they introduced a trail scheme where you used a thumbprint instead of a pin number on credit cards. Fraud dropped substantially, but we use the far less secure chip and pin because it saves something like 10c per card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

AFAIK the tickets don't have a trackable ID on them that can be blacklisted, so your 'lost' ticket can still be used. The extra money is probably to cover the cost of how often they expect tickets to be fraudulently reported as lost/stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

kearnsr wrote: »
    I thought the first replacment was free and after that you paid a montly cost for how ever long you have left?

Replacements for damaged tickets are free, lost or stolen tickets incurr the charge. The tickets do not have a unique identifier so they cannot be cancelled off the system, a replacement issued without retrieving the original is essentially a second ticket.

If only someone had invented a new kind of ticket that could instantly be flagged as stolen on the system, a ticket perhaps without a magnetic stripe that is prone to failure and intentional damage. :rolleyes:

Advertisement