Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5w LED Bulb €1.49 Dealz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Only had screw bulbs in the dealz near me, no bayonet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

looks like letting everyone know means they have a shortage on the shelves lol - i should have kept me mouth shut haha - naw, im sure they will be getting more in just keep your eyes peeled :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leds are on the way out lads, incandesants is where it's at.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35284112 :eek:
    In theory, the crystal structures could boost the efficiency of incandescent bulbs to 40%, making them three times more efficient than the best LED or CFL bulbs on the market.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

6W bulbs too

http://www.dealz.ie/v-tac-led-candle-bulb-6w
    V-tac Led Candle Bulb 6w

This V-Tac bulb is part of the premium LED series. 6W LED Candle bulb is equivalent to 40W in a standard bulb and has a brightness of 470LM. LED bulbs have a low power consumption and allow you to save upto 80% energy,they have an energy rating of A+ These have a warm white colour and an expected lifespan of 20,000 hours. Small Eddison screw fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It'd be interesting to see how long such a bulb would last, and how expensive it would be to mass produce. As it is, LED is very efficient and cheap to produce

They seem to have a huge amount of candle bulbs in my local dealz. A lot of down lighter type ones, Not so many bayonet and no bigger screw in types.

B and q doing 3 Philips down lighter ones for €15

• Advertisement

DEALZ is even cheaper than LIDL for LED bulbs my wife saw LED bulbs in LIDL but they were about €6.50 a piece

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see how long such a bulb would last, and how expensive it would be to mass produce. As it is, LED is very efficient and cheap to produce
    Still in the lab so years to go yet.

Also best lab LEDs are way more efficient that what's on sale today. In theory we could get 1,500 lumens out of a 5W bulb.

http://www.cree.com/News-and-Events/Cree-News/Press-Releases/2014/March/300LPW-LED-barrier
    Cree reports that the LED efficacy was measured at 303 lumens per watt, at a correlated color temperature of 5150 K and 350 mA. Standard room temperature was used to achieve the results.

i got a couple of SES LED candles for the cooker hood from DEALZ to replace the incandescents to be honest a couple of times the incandescent bulbs blew in the cooker hood and I think (even though slight) vibrations from the cooker hood motor may have been the culprit and vibrated the filament of the incandescent bulb, hopefully because the LED's have no filaments in them i will no longer suffer from this

Also best lab LEDs are way more efficient that what's on sale today. In theory we could get 1,500 lumens out of a 5W bulb.

http://www.cree.com/News-and-Events/Cree-News/Press-Releases/2014/March/300LPW-LED-barrier

I got a torch as a christmas present with a cree bulb, it is fantastic the amount of light it throws out and only on 3 AA batteries! - these sureley must be the next technology to look out for soon after the normal LED bulbs have been out for a while. I dare say they will be expensive at first the way LED bulbs were but then they will come down in price. - you could easily make a energy saving 500w halogen flood lamp for the back yard I bet out of 2 or 3 cree LED's in i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Doubt we'll see anything in general production in the next 15 years. What they have in the lab as proof of concept is 6.6% efficiency which is 43.8 lm/W. Could be appealing for colour rendering purposes photographic lamps, projectors, etc though so you never know.

What cree have is a bright blue led which has to be phosphor converted and diffused to make a useful led for lighting so you're realistically talking less than 200lm/W for a warm white version with decent cri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

I bought 4 of the 330 lumen (5w) bulbs today and replaced 4 x r50's (40 watt) in our kitchen 4 way light.
    Very impressed, much brighter. Light is a little whiter but it actually has improved the kitchen space I think.
    If these things last a decent amount of time, I'm going to permanently switch to led. Says 10,000 hours on the box...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DEALZ is even cheaper than LIDL for LED bulbs my wife saw LED bulbs in LIDL but they were about €6.50 a piece

I bought a mini screw type yesterday in Aldi for €2.99.

Will try get to a Dealz to pick up some of these.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone put off by the fact the bulb is made of plastic? ..is it safe?

I've probably watched too many, YouTube, Chinese eBay Led/Bulb break downs..

Amalgam wrote: »
    Anyone put off by the fact the bulb is made of plastic? ..is it safe?

I've probably watched too many, YouTube, Chinese eBay Led/Bulb break downs..

I think all the lower base is plastic (apart from the BC or Screw part obviously) but the outer top part seems to be frosted glass not plastic (well on the 5w BC round bulbs)

plastic most probably helps to keep price and weight down - plus those more expensive bulbs with the metal heat sink outside the bolb i have heard that live 240v main voltage wire can come into contact with metal heatsink and outside of bulb with metal heatsink on outside of bulb could become live!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

When buying the 5W ones last week kept an eye out for these - well, the round ones specifically http://www.dealz.ie/v-tac-led-round-bulb-6w. No sign in Finglas, the ILAC or Henry Street that I could see.

Sold out in Dealz galway.
    I went back in to clear them out. dammit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can buy them from Poundland via Parcelmotel with £2 delivery
    http://www.poundland.co.uk/home-and-pet/around-the-home/lighting-and-electrical

Semi related, my local expert hardware store is doing 10 ever ready gu10 for €39
    Looks to be a nationwide offer.

snubbleste wrote: »
    You can buy them from Poundland via Parcelmotel with £2 delivery
    http://www.poundland.co.uk/home-and-pet/around-the-home/lighting-and-electrical

But if your buying from Poundland and paying for delivery:

£1 for the bulb, £2 for delivery, €3.95

not worth it, youd get them from homebase or similar diy for that amount.

However if your up shopping over the border, enniskillen say for example - you should be able to get them in poundland in the ernside SC (if they have in stock)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well obviously you would not be buying one bulb.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well obviously you would not be buying one bulb.

Poundland is not going to fgive you discounts on how many bulbs you buy - sure you will be saving on postage if you were to order a load.

Best bet is to wait when they come back in stock at DEALZ - or have a word with staff and ask em to get some more stock in of the bulbs.

Or tell em they should have a fair buy policy where bulbs are limited to 5 bulbs per customer lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dealz items are 1.49, £1 is €1.33 on google, not sure what you would get with the bank. Lets just say it is 16cent saving.

Nobody in their right mind is going to buy 1 bulb, on the other extreme if you bought enough stuff it would cancel the postage & pm costs, but it would take a lot. Post is free if over £50.

You would have to get 25 typical £1/€1.49 items to cancel out the PM fees.

42 items to cancel the PM and £2 delivery. But then you are near the 50 mark so might want to go over.

50 items might be too big to fit in a standard PM locker though, depending on what they are. Dealz is a bit out of the way for me so I would really value delivery option.

They don't seem to have any bayonet bulbs, you can get converters but I would rather not use them.

Not all offers are the same, in the UK 2 cans of regular coke are £1, but in Ireland you get 3 cans for €1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Best to check the lumen level (often described as LM)instead of watts.

Just installed the 200 lumens 3 watt bulbs there and they are noticeably yellower than the 330 lumen 5 watt.
    So are giving a more incandescent bulb like colour I think...

rubadub wrote: »
    Dealz items are 1.49, £1 is €1.33 on google, not sure what you would get with the bank. Lets just say it is 16cent saving.

Nobody in their right mind is going to buy 1 bulb, on the other extreme if you bought enough stuff it would cancel the postage & pm costs, but it would take a lot. Post is free if over £50.

You would have to get 25 typical £1/€1.49 items to cancel out the PM fees.

42 items to cancel the PM and £2 delivery. But then you are near the 50 mark so might want to go over.

50 items might be too big to fit in a standard PM locker though, depending on what they are. Dealz is a bit out of the way for me so I would really value delivery option.

They don't seem to have any bayonet bulbs, you can get converters but I would rather not use them.

Not all offers are the same, in the UK 2 cans of regular coke are £1, but in Ireland you get 3 cans for €1.49

you've really thought about this haven't you :D - good man

kyeev wrote: »
    Just installed the 200 lumens 3 watt bulbs there and they are noticeably yellower than the 330 lumen 5 watt.
    So are giving a more incandescent bulb like colour I think...

Thats good i might give em a try because I have 3x 5w round BC bulbs in our ceiling fitting and they good but very white compared to me other lamps, so I might change to 3w. - were the 3w ones u got candle type or the round type?

Thats good i might give em a try because I have 3x 5w round BC bulbs in our ceiling fitting and they good but very white compared to me other lamps, so I might change to 3w. - were the 3w ones u got candle type or the round type?
    Round type. Easy to see the colour difference between the two.
    Now back at a similar brightness and light colour as I started with 4 x r50 40 watt, except using 12 watts instead of 160 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

kyeev wrote: »
    If these things last a decent amount of time, I'm going to permanently switch to led. Says 10,000 hours on the box...

Check how how they are after a couple of hours, if top is too hot to touch they won't be around in 10000 hours. I'll do a teardown when they're back in stock.

Check how how they are after a couple of hours, if top is too hot to touch they won't be around in 10000 hours. I'll do a teardown when they're back in stock.

Have a look on YouTube fir a guy called bigclivedotcom, he did a tear down of all the poundland ones

• Advertisement

what a shame I couldnt put up with the cold 'whiteness' colour rendering of the LED's Dealz bulbs on our 3 fitting ceiling light in the living room - now I have succumbed and admit defeat and put some 40w incandescent BC bulbs in it now I've gone up from 15w LED to 120w incandescent now :( .. but at least it really is warm white glow now - what a shame even now these days they still cannot make an LED bulb to exactly match the colour rendering of warm white, even though it says 'warm white' on the box.

Advertisement