Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

External HD that connects to TV and doesn't usually require separate power cable

Options
  • 23-03-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi All,

Variations on this thread have been posted before but I am looking for the following specifics:

- 1 TB+ External Hard Drive

- Can connect to a TV using a SCART cable (I'd like to bring some video clips to my parents' house and they have an OLD telly)

- Doesn't require a power cable when connected to the computer, ok if connecting to a TV (will only be doing this occassionally)

- USB 2/3

- Doesn't need to be very fast (will only be used for storage, not day-to-day use)

Can anyone recommend this or something similar (will compromise on storage capacity if needs be)?

I know that WD sell adaptors for hard drives to connect to the telly, but they require batteries (I think). I'd prefer to get a simple, all-in-one unit though as I plan on loaning it to my not-very-tech-savvy parents from time to time.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It doesnt exist unfortunately.

The standard HDD media player uses a 3.5" drive; these require too much power to be able to run off USB. That's why you always need a PSU.

The only way it could connect to a computer with no separate PSU, was if it used a 2.5" drive (ie laptop drive). These are not available in 1TB (they top out at about 500GB at the moment), and in any case, usually arent used in HDD media players, due to their higher cost.

So you're going to have to change some of your criteria to find a device that suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

1TB will Deffo need power.. USB will not surfice unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

Ok, thanks for the replies. I might look into a smaller one, 500 GB for now, or just try and find another spare plug in my tiny apartment...

I thinks some models will switch off if the computer also powers off, and some need to also be manually powered down.

Any suggestions on a good make/model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I recommend the WD HDTV (no storage, ~€99), and then just go any buy a drive of your choice. If you want one that doesnt need power, buy a 2.5" 500Gb external drive, can be bought for about €100.

The WD HDTV is something else altogether, plays just about everything you can throw at it, x264, divx, files with AC3 audio, 720p files, 1080p, .mkv containers. Theres almost nothing it won't play, and has a HDMI for newer tvs and composite for older ones. You can use a composite/scart adaptor if that's all your folks old TV has.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

Sounds good - the WD HDTV can take 2 USB Hard Drives (I presume they can be of the non-power-cable variety and get power from the device?). I will only be bringing 1 drive around to the folks' place anyway.

This looks like my best option - many thanks for your help!

Knowing my luck, they'll bring out a 1TB SSD HD, the size of a matchbox for 50 quid complete with free TV adaptor and 2 Ryanair flights to Paris, in about 4 months time :-) Or maybe I'm just being cynical as a result of buying too much Apple stuff in the past!

• Advertisement
Advertisement