Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here* - Page 66 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2016, 22:45   #976
afriendlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarie98 View Post
So I know it's quite early but I've just been looking at accommodation for September to have an idea of where I'd like to stay before the openings. I'm a deffered applicant so i'll definitely be going to UCC this year. I was interested in Farranlea but it seems to have a lot of complaints and I'm not sure about the toilet sharing situation in brookfield.. was wondering what Deans Hall is like to live in or that Abbey place?

I lived in the student village for 12 months, a couple of years ago now so things might have changed a good bit but I loved it there anyways. Abbeywharf on the quay opposite the cinema is a hole and dangerous, no idea what the one on Washington St is like but it looks nice on the outside.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2016, 16:29   #977
Benm123

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarie98 View Post
So I know it's quite early but I've just been looking at accommodation for September to have an idea of where I'd like to stay before the openings. I'm a deffered applicant so i'll definitely be going to UCC this year. I was interested in Farranlea but it seems to have a lot of complaints and I'm not sure about the toilet sharing situation in brookfield.. was wondering what Deans Hall is like to live in or that Abbey place?
You're absolutely right to be looking for accommodation this early, I was in your shoes this time last year looking for places in Cork, weighing up the pros and cons of each place when suddenly, as if overnight, everywhere booked out mid-April! So make note of when each your desired accommodation opens for booking applications so you don't miss out!

I'm staying in Student Village but I've been to Farranlea plenty of times so I can give you my two pence on it. It's actually a great place to live, very modern and sleek, all rooms have en suites (as far as I know) and the craic is mighty! There is no security at the gate like there is in many other places so you'll have no problem having friends come over or bringing people back at night etc etc. There are two wardens but they are both usually 4th year students so they'll only really come to your apartment if you're causing a lot of disturbance or noise etc. From my times spent there it's always seemed like a great place to live and unreal for pre drinks etc, so I can only assume that the complaints on this forum (I read a lot of complaints last year on here and thought the same) are from years and years ago before they did the place up or whatever. The only annoying thing about Farranlea is that you need a key card to open the gate in the evening/night, so every time one of your friends arrive you have to run all the way down and let them in (which can get annoying if you have a lot of people coming over!)

I've only been in Brookfield once but from my one experience it doesn't seem like the nicest place to live. My living/kitchen area in Student Village is far bigger than Brookfield's and each Brookfield house houses a lot more people than Student Village! Also the shared bathroom doesn't seem too appealing. However, Brookfield is also unreal craic, they actually had to have a 1 month ban on house parties during October as it was getting so out of control, but they lifted the ban again and now they let non-residents in (they didn't during the ban).

Deans hall isn't the nicest inside but is genuinely fine and is also unreal fun, I've been to many house parties there. The location is also a huge plus, literally right beside Washington Street which has all the clubs/pubs so you'll never have to worry about getting a taxi or going back to your apartment to get something during a night out.

Hope this helps!
Thanks from:
08-01-2016, 12:04   #978
gstar420

I'm in 6th year now and doing my Leaving in June and I plan to do Nursing in UCC! (All going well!)
I went to the open day there and I know the nursing lectures are all held in the Brookfield health and science building, so naturally I'm thinking about getting accommodation in Brookfield!
From researching online I've been seeing lots of positive and negative reports on Brookfield...
I have a few questions on it and if anyone can help me out I'd be so grateful!
1) Is it nice in general, i.e. Is it a nice campus and are the quality of the apartments good?
2) Which are better to go for, the apartments or townhouses?
3) Can a group, say for the townhouse which holds 7/8 book together or similarly could 3/4 friends book together for the apartments?
4) How strict is it? Can you have house parties e.t.c and can friends come and stay with you?

Anybody that could answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it! ☺️

Also if I wasn't to go for Brookfield what other accommodation would be good and close to go for if I'm doing nursing?

Many thanks 😊
06-02-2016, 23:02   #979
Katezz

Where's the best place for second years to stay?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion