Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is this worth further enquires?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Yeah the E39 5 series is a great car,i have a petrol version,but that has no extras what so ever.

At that mileage the car has and the mileage you do in a year or so you'll need to budget for new turbo,new shocks,bushings.

They are a great car to drive and will eat the miles up effortessly,i'd definetly recommend one but get something that has more toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

cheers for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is higher spec:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/530d-AUT/200845190739601/advert

It also has leather and is an auto, worth the extra few bob imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Lovely car, you won't regret it. And please don't succum to stretching that extra bit for the newer shape, the E39 is a classic and was commonly referred to around its time as the best car in the world.
    Lots of people will tell you 5s and 7s cost far more to run and keep than a normal car, balls to that, dont let people like that put you off. Parts are more expensive, but labour is the same if you use an Indy and if you sign up to a BMW forum they show you how to do most of the stuff yourself, oil changes, filter changes etc. No timing belt in these yokes, so nothing to worry about there.

Things to look out for are has the water pump been replaced? It has plastic impellers that can snap around 70-100k miles. Radiator can also be replaced around this time. Check rear exhaust mountings, all electrics too, nav, radio, seats etc. Pixels can go on instrument cluster displays, though this is an easy fix. Check for coolant leaks too.

All in all, a great car.

Loads of info here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=202

is it a big issue that the linked car has 10k more on the clock that the original one ive posted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

is it a big issue that the linked car has 10k more on the clock that the original one ive posted?
    Absloutely not. Both are around the mileage that work will need to be carried out on. i.e. Turbo, suspension etc. so get a mechanic to check out both cars.
    One think I would be looking at on a 3.0 diesel BMW that is 6 years old is the "low" mileage. Make sure these cars are not clocked. They are well noted for big miles and getting "haircuts".
    All the usuals apply, full service history, (no gaps) traceable owners (if any) access wear and tear on the drivers seat and gearknob, but safest just o get a mechanic who knows what he is looking for, to look at the car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd look for one with cruise control if you're doing a good bit of motorway driving. Neither of those cars has climate control - I have manual aircon in my e39, and I'm constantly adjusting it.

I'd have thought you get pick up a fully loaded one for that kind of money.

Or something to consider, I got my 7 series for €12k. Fully loaded with 69k on the clock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Or something to consider, I got my 7 series for €12k. Fully loaded with 69k on the clock.

I'd say no e38 would do over 30MPG though?

Mine does 31-33MPG on the motorway. Absolute cruiser. :)

• Advertisement

Mine does 31-33MPG on the motorway. Absolute cruiser. :)

jaysus, id be constantly filling it up at that rate :(

22MPG round town, which is where I always am. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Advertisement