Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Germans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Don't mention the war

But you started it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bombay Allee

coleria wrote: »
    But her feet touched Irish soil first? right?

2 times in 4.5 years:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

how do you mean?

What is it about the neighbours thats supposed to be nerve racking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

my daughter is german:D

i am considering settlin down, about 100km east of berlin. i have considerable reservations about the locals;out there. :eek: ie i have seen the best of human activity, that being the peoplei know who live out there, but i have heard what the neighbours are like, and it is pretty nerve-wracking :(

That would place you in Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

charlemont wrote: »
    Lebensraum?

(Has this thread been Godwinned yet or ich bin ze furzt?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

no need to invade then...........

Nodin wrote: »
    What is it about the neighbours thats supposed to be nerve racking?

i would rather not say, however if you must know, i would be prepared to give a description,

as you like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Wait is this neukoln youre talking about in Berlin:eek:

i said about 100 km east of berlin

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We should learn discipline from them .That's why they're the Lenders and we're the Borrowers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ich mag die Deutschen Leute. Sie sind sehr freundlich und ihr bier ist sehr nett!

ich auch

Das ist richtig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

All I know is in my one year travelling in South America, all the Germans in the hostels went to bed early and got up to do outdoorsy stuff. No partying whatsoever with everyone else. Each to their own but surely half the fun of travelling is mingling and getting baloobas with other nationalities?? I mean, you can do both. I did.

The one German I did meet and hung out with told me she'd be more upset to see a stranded puppy on the street than a stranded baby :eek:
    Ehhhhh, says I....

That's my only experience with the Germans tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

A great bunch of lads. I go there regularly and stayed there for a few months once, good people, good country. Though I think they might be a bit out of touch with the complexities of the current Euro crisis and might end up with a negative view of us and others as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Du hast scheide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've been there multiple times on drinking weekends, always find them to be accommodating and pleasant people.

Dusseldorf was my favourite location we visited, lovely city, nice size and a vast array of great beer halls and ale houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Much more interesting place when the Iron Curtain and Berlin Wall was there.

My self interest became irrelevant sadly!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

They're a great bunch of people, just as long as you're not Jewish :D

And before anyone gets upset thats a joke. Ze Germans gave us Rammstein so they must not be that bad a folk, just slightly odd maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

My mate brought a German work colleague of his out with us in town one night there a few months ago. You should of heard what he told me about the nightlife over there.
    Apparently clubs can open at 1 or 2am until 8am .... close for a few hours ,(meanwhile everyone does amphetamines like speed to keep their buzz going)
    then re-open at midday until the late afternoon :D.

On that basis I shall they must be a great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

When they start shouting they scare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    All I know is in my one year travelling in South America, all the Germans in the hostels went to bed early and got up to do outdoorsy stuff. No partying whatsoever with everyone else. Each to their own but surely half the fun of travelling is mingling and getting baloobas with other nationalities?? I mean, you can do both. I did.

The one German I did meet and hung out with told me she'd be more upset to see a stranded puppy on the street than a stranded baby :eek:
    Ehhhhh, says I....

That's my only experience with the Germans tbh.

Just to contrast this...

... in my cliched year in Australia dealy I found the Germans to be the only one of the many nationalities that in general that were up for staying up with the Irish kids until ridiculous o clock partying hard after everyone else had clocked off on a consistent basis. You could almost always guarantee that an offer at 3am of 'let's go catch the last of a club, score some e and and go to the beach to drink off the comedown when the sun comes up' would be 48% Irish, 48% German and a random Slovakian or so (etc) minority contingent.

Found the Germans to be crazy up for partying and left a lot of the Irish in the ha'penny place on many an occasion. Much more than, for instance, the UK crew or any other Europeans.

Found them to be the most willing to mix freely with other nationalities and actually seek to do so along with the Irish as well.

I loved the bastards. But then again they were the most numerous as well as the Irish of the backpackers when I was there. So probably makes more sense that these were just the kind of people I gravitated towards and the nationality discrepancy was just a result of higher numbers of them, therefore higher numbers of this type of them, being there and me getting to know.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I'd go to Germany anyday, better than this kip of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I live in Germany and my housemate is as boring as hell. All he does is smoke weed, drink beer and watch football/playing it on Xbox. Every. F*cking. Night. Not a bad guy really, just after two weeks after a month of living there I couldn't stick doing the same fricken thing. I prefer to hang out with people who like to do different things and not just sit there getting wasted and playing videogames.

I grew up in three different countries and in general you get the same mix of people everywhere. You don't really notice specific cultural differences until a member of that culture is "out of the water" so to speak. I've certainly noticed how Irish and Russian people stick out here.

Germans remind me a lot of South Africans as well.

OneArt wrote: »
    I live in Germany and my housemate is as boring as hell. All he does is smoke weed, drink beer and watch football/playing it on Xbox. Every. F*cking. Night. Not a bad guy really, just after two weeks after a month of living there I couldn't stick doing the same fricken thing. I prefer to hang out with people who like to do different things and not just sit there getting wasted and playing videogames.

I grew up in three different countries and in general you get the same mix of people everywhere. You don't really notice specific cultural differences until a member of that culture is "out of the water" so to speak. I've certainly noticed how Irish and Russian people stick out here.

Germans remind me a lot of South Africans as well.

Is Weed easy to get over, What are the prices like ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I know a German who worked 36 hours straight without sleep. There wasn't even a war on.

His official title was Professor Engineer, Doktor. He tried to get himself called that but it could never survive the Irish sense of humour and to be fair he saw that. But everyone had utmost respect for him even though everyone called him Hans despite the fact that it wasn't his name.:D

A great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Is Weed easy to get over, What are the prices like ??:D

I don't want to be naughty or break any rules, but let's just say I can get a nice amount for the price of two pints in Dublin ;)

OneArt wrote: »
    I don't want to be naughty or break any rules, but let's just say I can get a nice amount for the price of two pints in Dublin ;)

Sound good..

Ich mag es..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I work beside a call centre in Cork, there's about 700 people working there, half of which are German. So i deal with many of them on a daily basis. In general i find them reserved, particular, measured, many of them are what we Irish would deem to be "socially awkward". Yet some of them will very comfortably chat to you with no inhibitions, and would probably be great craic to go out with - i find these type of Germans to be a rather sizeable minority.

One aspect of how they differ from other nationalities would be in their eye for detail, or preciseness. For example, if one of my German customers is paying for an item, and the bill comes to €1.88, he/she will count out exactly that amount in change. Any other nationality, be they Irish, French, British or Spanish, will just hand me either 2 or 5 Euro. Each nationality has their own unique traits and precision is certainly a German one! :cool: Probably explains why they are so good at running their country (and Europe!) and also why they were steam-rolled most of Europe back in the day, before the British and Americans came to the rescue.

But in general I like them, they are always polite to a tee, unlike many of my native customers!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Abi wrote: »

so thats where they got the idea for Dialasms legs in street fighter II :eek:

Advertisement