Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

PDN wrote: »
    Actually that is untrue. I believe ISAW resurrected it in post 1970. Marien then repeated her claim in post 1977. I responded to Marien in post 1980.

You would believe wrong then.
    Because in post 1966 ( the one I was replying to in 1970)
    Marien stated
    Do you accept that atheism/theism do not cause atrocities ?

Which is stating theism does not cause atrocities.
    Which contradicts her earlier unproven and avoided assertion that theism caused rape because theists believed ( in her opinion) that God ordered rape ( an atrocity) in the Bible.
    I get enough stick from people about what I actually do, without anyone wrongly accusing me of doing stuff I didn't do. :(

I didn't accuse you of anything.
    I am sure you are quite aware when I do accuse you and you can rely on me to tell you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

ISAW wrote: »
    You would believe wrong then.
    Because in post 1966 ( the one I was replying to in 1970)
    Marien stated

Which is stating theism does not cause atrocities.
    Which contradicts her earlier unproven and avoided assertion that theism caused rape because theists believed ( in her opinion) that God ordered rape ( an atrocity) in the Bible.

That is a ssssssstretchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    I didn't accuse you of anything.
    I am sure you are quite aware when I do accuse you and you can rely on me to tell you. :

I was talking to Tommy, not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

koth wrote: »
    Because the RCC have a monopoly on the primary school system.

What is actually factual, is that over the years Catholic and Prodestants put in the hard work and effort to set up and run schools for their children.

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

that doesn't show that what I said was incorrect.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Its shame that instead of whinging and moaning some parents of other philosophies are not willing to put in the hard work themselves. Where they have put the work in, Educate together schools have been successful.

• Advertisement

Its shame that instead of whinging and moaning some parents of other philosophies are not willing to put in the hard work themselves. Where they have put the work in, Educate together schools have been successful.

Not alone that but I'm sure the COI or RCC are happy to assist them. and if educate together want religion teachers I'm sure the church will provide them also.

The thing is ET need some time to judge whether people actually want this and establish and ethos and tradition of their own. I still don't know if all the past pupils and parents will not just walk away after they get their six years.

PDN wrote: »
    That is a ssssssstretchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

the above comment in no way invalidates what i stated.
    I dont resurrect anything.
    Marien posted about no atrocities when she had earlier posted about atrocities - logically contradicting herself.
    Pointing out the truth is not something you or anyone else can say is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

In message 1938 you stated

The bit in blue is an argument based on a premise you do hold and you stated in 1938

And you added "Christianity doesn't either" because if you didn't you would be applying double standards. I'm prepared to accept your false premise since it means you can't ever claim her that Christianity caused or is responsible for atrocities.

I added it because I believe it. What on earth does "accepting a false premise" mean? You specifically said you had no problem with it. Now you are saying you do have a problem with it.
    Indeed an then we are back to abandoning the false premise and comparing them on the same standards. Reslut - christianity a million maybe several millions dead; atheism - tens maybe hundreds of millions dead.

No we're not. Whatever grievances Popes or Christian institutions might be responsible for, the responsibility lies at their feet, and not Christianity.
    The church was not involved in the murder regimes of democide . I give you rummels figures again .

Using the same objective standards as we would to "Christianity causes atrocities"

This has nothing to do with what I said.
    This is the "it was not atheism it was religion" excuse.
    I'm even happy to accept fundamentalist atheism to be called the fundamentalist atheist religion if you wish.
    The think is when compared to Christianity atheist states killed people in the hundreds of millions.
    Pagans did it too and Muslims and animists and indeed even Christians but even adding then all together they came nowhere near the atheist total!

But here I'm specifically concerned with Christians versus atheists since it is a Christianity forum.

LOL! You want us to believe North Korea is Christian or just that it is not atheist?
    We have been over that before here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64807603&postcount=141
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58487877&postcount=38

Wow. In this very post I explicitly said atheistic regimes were deeply religious. You even quoted this sentence. Of course North Korea is an atheistic regime."Atheist" and "religious" are in no way exclusive.

[edit] - I feel the PDN posts deserve some addressing. The post about theism being a source of persecution is unrelated to our discussion. The post about Juche, however, is not. Juche theory (the academic abstraction) is not a religion. But the Juche movement (which bears little relation to Juche theory) is a deeply religious movement. The Jucha movement holds that the Korean masses are subject to a Dear Leader, whom they are actively bound to, and must visibly worship. Note however, this does not mean "Religion causes atrocities" is true. It means some religious instruction can be harmful.

--

Again, I am asking you to specifically argue the case that atheism, as opposed to, say, atheistic personality cults or Totalitarianism, causes atrocities. All you've done is try to explain away your double retraction and talk about Totalitarian states, Oligarchies, and leader worship.

lmaopml wrote: »
    I agree with you Morbert that atheism can be hijacked by a fundamental religious type fanaticism. I think that's the crux! Modern Atheists may believe that all this is just common sense etc. without even beginning to actually delve a little deeper, they are happy to be told they are clever because they understand naturalism, evolution etc. ( Catholics call that a plead to Vanity by the way) but they don't get history; they see man as an evolved animal - the Caveman with a club in his hand that was barely human etc. it's misinformation - they don't see the Caveman, they see him in light of modern media - they don't look at the man who perhaps never even lived in a cave, nobody actually knows, it's guessing, conjecture - the man who lifted his hand and drew pictures of animals - because something made him different. The only thing left IS his pictures and they tell a story - THIS is the most startling thing, and it's not appreciated enough.

I think that people are perfectly entitled to see atheism/religion for what it is too - no problem there, that's just the beginning of any persons life in these times or any other...

The problem is, the lack of trust - you champion an atheistic ideal that is based on humanism etc. etc. and scientific understanding that grows and enlightens choices...but not everybody is Morbert, who is apparently an honest soul - and equally, not everybody will believe that all athiests are like Morbert - that's like piddling on someone and telling them it's raining.

You see, that is where the fundamental difference is; you place your trust in your understanding of what it should be to be Atheist, even if it's a so called disjointed thing, with nobody in particular about except any would be atheist ( who happens to be Godless ); but peoples experience is different - just like Christianity. You hold that there is something 'noble' about your worldview, and Christians would say the same - both recognise ( some individuals more than others ) that there is a 'noble' thing to strive for...

and THAT...is they mystery of life.

We only get one go at it - and the beauty of it is astounding, and the total deafness, mystery, and (chance V directed) life we live on the tiny blue beautiful planet we inhabit collectively...I still can't fathom the beauty of colour and existence, I'm not vaccinated against it quiet yet, by being part of it all. It's unfathomable - the only way to 'kill' God, is to say there are other universes that go on to infinity that exist - Imo, that's pushing it, even the Caveman, who is vastly misrepresented in Hollywood, I'm sure would disagree...

I do not claim atheism, or even the admiration of humanism, will prevent atrocities. I am specifically addressing the claim that atrocities are an effect of atheism.

Morbert wrote: »
    I added it because I believe it. What on earth does "accepting a false premise" mean? You specifically said you had no problem with it. Now you are saying you do have a problem with it.

I don't have a problem with accepting it. i don't happen to believe it is true but Im quite happy to accept the premise that "neither atheism or Christianity caused atrocities" because it means that you can't in future ever say Christianity was responsible for atrocities.
    The usual smart ass comments college undergrad atheists who think they know it all come up with are neatly sidestepped. The "Bible is a rape manual" "murder He wrote ..." etc.
    type comments.
    I'm happy not to mention that atheism was much much much worse in terms of their hundred of millions of dead if believers are not singled out. I'm content to focus on the positive things done by religion and the almost zero positive things caused by atheism (any of which can be argued encompass the same natural law values that faith does)
    No we're not. Whatever grievances Popes or Christian institutions might be responsible for, the responsibility lies at their feet, and not Christianity.

So the leader of Christianity acting i8n a certain way because he believes that is best for Christianity has no connection whatsoever with christianity and the expressed atheist members of an atheistic regime enforcing "there is no God" are actually doing that whithout actually believing "There is no God" ? Or is it that they believe there is not God but the fact that they enforce "there is no God" is totally unconnected to their belief? Bizarre.
    Wow. In this very post I explicitly said atheistic regimes were deeply religious. You even quoted this sentence. Of course North Korea is an atheistic regime."Atheist" and "religious" are in no way exclusive.

LOL! This ioos you "get out of Gaol free" card is it?
    Whenever you are confronted with atheistic slaughter regimes that did the killing not because they believed in "there is no God" but because they were religious about their atheism?
    So your whole point boils down to "it isn't whether people believe or not which causes genocide it is their committment to having a singly enforced set of beliefs"?

So care to tell me how come when they have christian beliefs and have a belief christian beliefs should be enforced that people do well out of that although sometimes people do get killed but when they have atheist beliefs and enforce atheism nothing good comes of it and millions always get killed?
    [edit] - I feel the PDN posts deserve some addressing. The post about theism being a source of persecution is unrelated to our discussion. The post about Juche, however, is not. Juche theory (the academic abstraction) is not a religion. But the Juche movement (which bears little relation to Juche theory) is a deeply religious movement. The Jucha movement holds that the Korean masses are subject to a Dear Leader, whom they are actively bound to, and must visibly worship. Note however, this does not mean "Religion causes atrocities" is true. It means some religious instruction can be harmful.

And in comparison "religious" atheism is always harmful?
    Again, I am asking you to specifically argue the case that atheism, as opposed to, say, atheistic personality cults or Totalitarianism, causes atrocities. All you've done is try to explain away your double retraction and talk about Totalitarian states, Oligarchies, and leader worship.

Again how can you say "there is no God" is not a central reason for "there is no god" regimes killing people but instead the regime enforcing any tenet whether it is "there is no god" or "there is a God" or "there are several Gods" ? If it is all about the enforcing system ( the religion) and not the actual belief being enforced ( atheism or theism) then how come atheist "religions" are so much more efficient at killing people than Christianity for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I don't have a problem with accepting it. i don't happen to believe it is true but Im quite happy to accept the premise that "neither atheism or Christianity caused atrocities" because it means that you can't in future ever say Christianity was responsible for atrocities.
    The usual smart ass comments college undergrad atheists who think they know it all come up with are neatly sidestepped. The "Bible is a rape manual" "murder He wrote ..." etc.
    type comments.
    I'm happy not to mention that atheism was much much much worse in terms of their hundred of millions of dead if believers are not singled out. I'm content to focus on the positive things done by religion and the almost zero positive things caused by atheism (any of which can be argued encompass the same natural law values that faith does)

So the leader of Christianity acting i8n a certain way because he believes that is best for Christianity has no connection whatsoever with christianity and the expressed atheist members of an atheistic regime enforcing "there is no God" are actually doing that whithout actually believing "There is no God" ? Or is it that they believe there is not God but the fact that they enforce "there is no God" is totally unconnected to their belief? Bizarre.

Whenever you are confronted with atheistic slaughter regimes that did the killing not because they believed in "there is no God" but because they were religious about their atheism?
    So your whole point boils down to "it isn't whether people believe or not which causes genocide it is their committment to having a singly enforced set of beliefs"?

So care to tell me how come when they have christian beliefs and have a belief christian beliefs should be enforced that people do well out of that although sometimes people do get killed but when they have atheist beliefs and enforce atheism nothing good comes of it and millions always get killed?

Again how can you say "there is no God" is not a central reason for "there is no god" regimes killing people but instead the regime enforcing any tenet whether it is "there is no god" or "there is a God" or "there are several Gods" ? If it is all about the enforcing system ( the religion) and not the actual belief being enforced ( atheism or theism) then how come atheist "religions" are so much more efficient at killing people than Christianity for example?

I can't let this go,

ISAW you say ''you are happy to accept neither or Christianity causes atrocities''- this is just another sleight of hand effort on your part

The statement should be ''neither atheism nor theism causes atrocies''

You already accepted this statement. But your last post indicates you are backtracking again.

Let me remind you yet again the you are conflating the meaning of words. Atheism is just the non belief in the existance of God or gods, theism the reverse. ( Oxford dictionery).The comparision should be

Atheism= everything except belief, including Dictators/fascists/totalitarions/butchers bakers candlestick makers

Theism= everything except nonbelief including Dictators/fascists/totalitarians/butchers/bakers/candlestick makers

Do you accept that yes or no ? Because if you don't you are backtracking yet again. It is you that is contantly playing the get out of jail card of conflating the words atheism/atheistic regimes/totalitarianism .

Atheism is just nonbelief in god , theism the reverse, I challenge you to produce any dictionery that says otherwise.

Until this is resolved we are prevented from getting to the intresting questions

koth wrote: »
    that doesn't show that what I said was incorrect.

No you are not incorrect.
    Most primary schools are catholic or church of Ireland.
    I'm not certain but something like 95 to 98%
    Most parents want things that way and what they want is constitutionally protected.
    We can argue about "most" - it might be as low as say 85%
    And the church are happy to assist other religions or atheists or Educate Together in this.
    It certainly is not lower than 50%
    Claiming "lets get it to 50% for starters" ( as atheist Minister Quinn expressed) is just outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

"it isn't whether people believe or not which causes genocide it is their committment to having a singly enforced set of beliefs"?
    Nail and head.
    If it is all about the enforcing system ( the religion) and not the actual belief being enforced ( atheism or theism) then how come atheist "religions" are so much more efficient at killing people than Christianity for example?
    This may be due to the circumstances the events take place in. Most atheistic totalitarian regimes are in modern times with access to weapons and tech that is capable of killing in large numbers. State control is now easier than before the information age ironically. Populations are denser and larger. Theirs a number of reasons for the result but one cause, humans.

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

No you are not incorrect.
    Most primary schools are catholic or church of Ireland.
    I'm not certain but something like 95 to 98%
    Most parents want things that way and what they want is constitutionally protected.
    We can argue about "most" - it might be as low as say 85%
    And the church are happy to assist other religions or atheists or Educate Together in this.
    It certainly is not lower than 50%
    Claiming "lets get it to 50% for starters" ( as atheist Minister Quinn expressed) is just outrageous.

I don't think that it is outrageous, but I think we'd be getting way OT if we discuss that subject on this thread.

If you can read this, you're too close!

marienbad wrote: »
    I can't let this go,

ISAW you say ''you are happy to accept neither or Christianity causes atrocities''- this is just another sleight of hand effort on your part

The statement should be ''neither atheism nor theism causes atrocies''

Im not going to arguwe abo9ut Islam or Judaism here . I pointed that out
    "neither atheism or Christianity caused atrocities! is what I'm happy to accept.
    Im happy to leave out soft atheism or agnosticism also.
    You already accepted this statement. But your last post indicates you are backtracking again.

Yes I accept it . I don't actually believe it. Put it this way if I believed communism caused atrocities and someone came along and states "neither communism or christianity caused atrocities" I'm quite happy to accept that until such time as they start bashing the church. I will then point out to them the very long record of much worse atrocities committed by communism. The purpose is not to get bogged down in one sided slanted debates about "the church was such a terrible influence in history"
    Let me remind you yet again the you are conflating the meaning of words. Atheism is just the non belief in the existance of God or gods, theism the reverse. ( Oxford dictionery).The comparision should be

Atheism= everything except belief, including Dictators/fascists/totalitarions/butchers bakers candlestick makers

Theism= everything except nonbelief including Dictators/fascists/totalitarians/butchers/bakers/candlestick makers

Do you accept that yes or no ? Because if you don't you are backtracking yet again. It is you that is contantly playing the get out of jail card of conflating the words atheism/atheistic regimes/totalitarianism .

Twas not I went into the "that isn't real atheism or caused by atheism it is Totalitarianism"
    excuse.

Im qyuiote clear
    atheism = "there is no God"
    theism = "there is a God"
    Christianity = "There is a Christian God"

Atheistic regime = regime with "there is no God" as a central tenet
    I am not aware of atheist non regimes.
    Christian government/regime = "there is a christian God" as a central tenet.
    Sometimes Christian rulers become regimes.
    Atheist rulers always become regimes to my knowledge.
    Atheism is just nonbelief in god , theism the reverse, I challenge you to produce any dictionery that says otherwise.

Take you straw man elsewhere and knock him down!
    Why is it that governments with "there is no God" =atheism as a central belief were ALL murder regimes?
    What is the the "everything except atheist " regimes didn't kill in any numbers even approaching the atheistic ones?

Im not going to arguwe abo9ut Islam or Judaism here . I pointed that out
    "neither atheism or Christianity caused atrocities! is what I'm happy to accept.
    Im happy to leave out soft atheism or agnosticism also.

Yes I accept it . I don't actually believe it. Put it this way if I believed communism caused atrocities and someone came along and states "neither communism or christianity caused atrocities" I'm quite happy to accept that until such time as they start bashing the church. I will then point out to them the very long record of much worse atrocities committed by communism. The purpose is not to get bogged down in one sided slanted debates about "the church was such a terrible influence in history"

Twas not I went into the "that isn't real atheism or caused by atheism it is Totalitarianism"
    excuse.

Im qyuiote clear

Atheistic regime = regime with "there is no God" as a central tenet
    I am not aware of atheist non regimes.
    Christian government/regime = "there is a christian God" as a central tenet.
    Sometimes Christian rulers become regimes.
    Atheist rulers always become regimes to my knowledge.

Take you straw man elsewhere and knock him down!
    Why is it that governments with "there is no God" =atheism as a central belief were ALL murder regimes?
    What is the the "everything except atheist " regimes didn't kill in any numbers even approaching the atheistic ones?

I am sorry ISAW but it is just utter rubbish to accept a dictionary meaning of a word , any word, but only with caveats that you choose to add.

I have challenged you to provide any dictionary that contradicts the definition I have given. You have not done so.

If you do not agree with the dictionary definitions of theism/atheism - can you please provide your own definition so we at least know what you are talking about. You might give your source if possible.

marienbad wrote: »
    I am sorry ISAW but it is just utter rubbish to accept a dictionary meaning of a word , any word, but only with caveats that you choose to add.

the are NO caveats!
    I'm quite clear

I accept those definitions. I actually made them myself and they are generally accepted by you i and the dictionary!

The princip0le that "neither atheism or christianity caused atrocities" is not something I proposed!
    It was something pout forward by Morbert as a statement. It is not a dictionary definition it is a statement.
    I may not believe it is a true statement but I am prepared pragmatically to go along with it.
    I have already told you why I am prepared to accept it.
    Accepting it in no way invalidates any dictionary or changes the already accepted definition that atheism = "there is no God"

The idea that I am not accepting a dictionary definition is just something you concocted.
    I have challenged you to provide any dictionary that contradicts the definition I have given. You have not done so.

And I have told you to bring that straw man elsewhere.

You do know what a "straw man argument" is?
    If not look it up.
    I never said that the definition "atheism" = "ther is no god" was in any way an incortrect definition.
    If you do not agree with the dictionary definitions of theism/atheism - can you please provide your own definition so we at least know what you are talking about. You might give your source if possible.

Atheism = "there is no god"
    Theism = "there is/are a god or gods"

Specifically her we are concerned with Monotheistic Christianity rather than all theism.
    and hard atheism as above rather then agnostic or soft atheism.
    Is that clear?

Specifically her we are concerned with Monotheistic Christianity rather than all theism.
    Is that clear?
    Once again you confuse atheism with anti theism. Their is no soft atheism or hard atheism, its binary 'is' or 'is not' ,no room for soft or hard positions.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Once again you confuse atheism with anti theism. Their is no soft atheism or hard atheism, its binary 'is' or 'is not' ,no room for soft or hard positions.

Actually, it seems he is making an even greater mistake. He is confusing atheism with anti-clericalism.

type comments.

This strange ball of contradictions (I accept it but I don't really) is more confusion for you to hide behind. The premise that atheism causes atrocities has no evidence to support it. You have repeatedly parroted the line "All atheist states commited atrocities, and they were far worse than atrocities committed by theists.", and I replied with

a) The number of atheist states compared to theist states is incredibly small (Revolutionary France and Mexico, where atrocities were committed on both sides, and a few Communist countries.) So "always" is in no way convincing, especially when looking at the other historical factors (such as the rise of fascism, and the impact of such in high population densities).

b) Atheist atrocities have not been far worse. The Belgian Congo, Nazi Europe, the Japanese Occupation of China, and the invasion of the New World were some of the most abhorrent periods in history, and none of them were atheistic regimes.

Now instead of trying to start a new tangent. You must argue why your conclusion is a reasonable one.

The above is indeed bizarre. But it has nothing to do with what I said. Whatever grievances Popes or Christian institutions might be responsible for, the responsibility lies at their feet, and not Christianity. They might have connections with Christianity, but Christianity is not responsible. Similarly, there are atheist dictators who believe there is no God, but atheism is not to blame for their acts. Your complete inability to understand even simple points without inferring nonsense along with it might explain your wrong interpretation of history.

And I have said before: Theist, and sometimes Christian, rulers do indeed kill millions. And I am in no way advocating anti-clericalism. I am advocating secular pluralism.

Atheist religions are not always harmful.

Again (and again and again and again). I am not claiming the Christian religion kills people (nor am I claiming atheistic religions kill people, there are peaceful atheist religions too). And as I have said before, atheistic states were efficient (but by no means more efficient) in killing people because the small handful were mostly Totalitarian regimes executing socio-economic experiments in high population densities.

• Advertisement

sorry but it is a Definition

and I am not confused about it.

It is quite clear atheism = "there is no God"

http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/files/2011/08/NONES_08.pdf
    page i
    Who exactly are the Nones? “None” is not a movement, but a label for a diverse group of people
    who do not identify with any of the myriad of religious options in the American religious
    marketplace – the irreligious, the unreligious, the anti-religious, and the anti-clerical.

page ii
    The sampling error for the full ARIS 2008 is +/- 0.31%. For the No Religion sub-sample, the
    sampling error is +/- 2.38%.

Figure 1.13 Regarding the existence of God, do you think…?

page 11
    Percentage Nones
    (N= 1,106)
    There is no such thing Atheist 7
    There is no way to know Hard Agnostic 19
    I’m not sure Soft Agnostic 16
    There is a higher power but no personal God Deist 24
    There is definitely a personal God Theist 27
    Don’t Know/Refused 7

Percentage US Adults
    (N= 1,015)

That would be 2% of US adults +/- 2.38% believe There is no such thing = Atheist

Actually, it seems he is making an even greater mistake. He is confusing atheism with anti-clericalism.

The "there is no God regimes" were not restricted to anti- clerical activities.
    They also tortured killed and Gulaged non clerics who did not subscribe to atheism.

I am not confusing "there is no God" hard atheism with anything other than those who answer "the is no such thing" to the question "Regarding the existence of God, do you think…?"

To be fair however the evangelizing atheist is a subset of this almost zero percent of the population. All the more worrying when they get into power and others begin to believe them.

the are NO caveats!
    I'm quite clear

I accept those definitions. I actually made them myself and they are generally accepted by you i and the dictionary!

The princip0le that "neither atheism or christianity caused atrocities" is not something I proposed!
    It was something pout forward by Morbert as a statement. It is not a dictionary definition it is a statement.
    I may not believe it is a true statement but I am prepared pragmatically to go along with it.

I have already told you why I am prepared to accept it.
    Accepting it in no way invalidates any dictionary or changes the already accepted definition that atheism = "there is no God"

The idea that I am not accepting a dictionary definition is just something you concocted.

And I have told you to bring that straw man elsewhere.

You do know what a "straw man argument" is?
    If not look it up.
    I never said that the definition "atheism" = "ther is no god" was in any way an incortrect definition.

Atheism = "there is no god"
    Theism = "there is/are a god or gods"

Is that clear?

Again I must correct you ISAW - your statement that the ''principle that neither atheism nor Christianity caused atrocities '' is not a statement you proposed is not the issue . It is a statement just now introduced by you and was never proposed by anyone and bears no relation to the proposition under discussion , which is

neither atheism nor theism causes atrocities- it is your insistance in conflating the meaning of words that is causing the confusion- atheism/atheistic state/ totalitarianism on the one side and theism/christianity on the other. The opposite to atheism is theism.

And since when is it for you to decide what are we concerned with here ?
    hard atheism, soft atheism, new terms to me, What are their opposite might I ask - Hard theism ? lukewarm theism perhaps. More shifting the goalposts methinks.

It is a bit late now to be confining the conversation to monotheistic Christianity as I have already asked you to defend your thesis as it gives a free pass to those other belief systems to do as they please. I am still waiting for an answer on that one by the way .

Furthermore there was a ruling far back in the mists of time on this thread that it is not just monotheistic belief systems that can be included here. belief and unbelief in all their glorious varieties are allowed up for discussion.

The "there is no God regimes" were not restricted to anti- clerical activities.
    They also tortured killed and Gulaged non clerics who did not subscribe to atheism.

They were still anti-clerical movements. Though I will admit that my position could be described as a form of anti-clericalism.
    I am not confusing "there is no God" hard atheism with anything other than those who answer "the is no such thing" to the question "Regarding the existence of God, do you think…?"

To be fair however the evangelizing atheist is a subset of this almost zero percent of the population. All the more worrying when they get into power and others begin to believe them.

Almost zero percent? Atheism is a large chunk of much of western Europe, even if we exclude believers in a "spiritual" force. The U.S. might have a small number, but it is growing fast, especially if atheism encompasses agnostic atheism (the group I belong to).

This strange ball of contradictions (I accept it but I don't really) is more confusion for you to hide behind. The premise that atheism causes atrocities has no evidence to support it. You have repeatedly parroted the line "All atheist states commited atrocities, and they were far worse than atrocities committed by theists.", and I replied with

a) The number of atheist states compared to theist states is incredibly small (Revolutionary France and Mexico, where atrocities were committed on both sides, and a few Communist countries.)

I did not want to gwet back into this but you just had to bring it up.

Another "scotsman" argument
    France , Mexico, Albania, Romania, Cambodia, Russia (Or the Union of slavery and supression of religion) largest country in the World also with several hundred millions - minus the 50 million or so wiped out by atheistic communism) , China ( most populous country in the world with about 25% of the population - minus about 50 million after the atheist Maoist great leap backiiwards and the cultural deevolution)

Seven so far.
    Czechoslovakia
    Mongolia
    North Korea.
    That's ten.

But there are more to add.
    Nineteenth century china?
    Ancient China?

Statistics Of
    Pre-20th Century Democide
    http://hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP2.HTM
    Even close to our time people have been murdered in the millions, as in the Teiping Rebellion in China in the mid-18th century. Of all pre-twentieth century killing--massacres, infanticide, executions, genocides, sacrifices, burnings, deaths by mistreatment, and the like--that for which corpses have been counted or estimated, surely but a fraction, add up to a range of near 89,000,000 to slightly over 260,000,000 million men, women, and children dead. An appropriate mid-democide estimate might be around 133,000,000 killed.

How many by Christianity?

Here is a list of 219 countries/incidents since WWII - It covers democratic Totalitarian and Authoritarian regimes
    How many deaths because of Christianity?
    http://hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.TAB16A.1.GIF

http://hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.TAB2.2.GIF
    Totals see row 50 - 1.3 billion plus in PRE Christian times.
    How many of them were because of Christianity?

So "always" is in no way convincing, especially when looking at the other historical factors (such as the rise of fascism, and the impact of such in high population densities).

You are going over old ground with the population density argument.
    And the "better technology " argument

80 years of ATHEISM vs. 250 CENTURIES of RELIGION -atheists kill more, over 70,000,000 - Atheist excuses #1: "It's GOD'S FAULT!"
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.agnosticism/browse_thread/thread/48afe334c786a01f
    But the point is, you moron, no theocracies DID achieve 1.6 billion
    deaths, even though theists VASTLY outnumber atheists, (i.e. they
    are more numerous, and always have been OVER MILLENNIA.. though I
    am happy to agree with you that the atheist regimes, like you,
    are MORE DENSE! B^D

I want everyone to observe closely what that moral defective is arguing!

He now accepts the horrific death toll of the atheist regimes, but now
    he wants to pretend that the MASSIVE SLAUGHTER in the USSR, Mao's
    Great Leap Backward and Cultural Devolution, Pol Pot's genocide and
    other atheist tyrannies..is all because of "population density" and
    "the power of technology". 8^o

Sheer BALDERDASH. THE USA HAS THE MOST POWERFUL MILITARY TECHNOLOGY
    ON EARTH, and it is a majority religious society, but it has never,
    in absolute numbers or in percentage of population, killed the
    equivalent of 40,000,000 people as the atheist regimes, USSR and
    Maoist China, each did!

Q.E.D.

China has always had massive population, but only under atheist tyranny
    did it's death toll achieve such record proportions.

China, the USSR and Cambodia had ALMOST IDENTICAL POPULATION DENSITY and
    TECHNOLOGICAL LEVELS, IMMEDIATELY PRIOR to the atheist regimes being
    imposed on them.. but not the massive death toll.. that only occurred
    ONCE THE ATHEIST TYRANNY WAS IN PLACE!

And it occurred when free, open, tolerant, and progressive MAJORITY
    RELIGIOUS societies were evolving secular democratic government,
    expanding human rights and civil society, firmly establishing the
    freedom to THINK, BELIEVE and SPEAK as you will, and ..FEEDING THEIR
    PEOPLE... none of which the CATASTROPHICALLY FAILED ATHEIST REGIMES
    COULD MANAGE!

Your 'population density' and 'technology' arguments are easily
    demolished by observing that BOTH were DIMINISHED under the atheist
    regimes from what they were under previous, better, times
    b) Atheist atrocities have not been far worse.

Yes they have. Read the figures for the above ten regimes and the noineteenth century china and ancient china. And pre christian europe. ( the last example is a NOT Christian example rather than a strictly atheist one)
    The Belgian Congo,

We have been over that before. Not an example of christianity or of religion. a totally personal acquisition by Leopold and not doen for any christian reasons or any other expressed religious belief.
    Meanwhile next door in the other part of the congo atheistic marxists moved in ( you can now add then to the ten regimes above)
    Nazi Europe,

Theosophy is not Christian. christianity opposed the Nazis!
    the Japanese Occupation of China,

One atheist country fighting another atheist country.
    and the invasion of the New World were some of the most abhorrent periods in history, and none of them were atheistic regimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Japan
    About 70 percent of Japanese profess no religious membership
    Marquis Hirobumi Ito, four time Prime Minister of Japan (the 1st, 5th, 7th and 10th), who made Japan a Great Power is reported to have said "I regard religion itself as quite unnecessary for a nation's life; science is far above superstition, and what is religion - Buddhism or Christianity - but superstition, and therefore a possible source of weakness to a nation? I do not regret the tendency to free thought and atheism, which is almost universal in Japan because I do not regard it as a source of danger to the community
    Now instead of trying to start a new tangent. You must argue why your conclusion is a reasonable one.

Quite simply. Christian countries with "there is a Christian God" have been around for 2000 years and quite possibly millions have di4ed at their hands. at the same time they created great civilizations. Atheism has created nothing and "there is no God" when adopted as a national slogan resulted in the deaths of hundreds of millions.
    The above is indeed bizarre. But it has nothing to do with what I said. Whatever grievances Popes or Christian institutions might be responsible for, the responsibility lies at their feet, and not Christianity.

Oh bit you don't apply the same reasoning to Leopold of Belgium. His Congo debacle was because of "religion" according to you?
    They might have connections with Christianity, but Christianity is not responsible. Similarly, there are atheist dictators who believe there is no God, but atheism is not to blame for their acts.

Even when they torture and kill people for professing any faith and leave alone those professing atheism? Killing non atheists and leaving professed atheists alone has nothing to do with atheism? I suppose killing Jews and leaving non Jews also has nothing to do with antisemitism and killing blacks while leaving all whites live has nothing to do with racism?
    Your complete inability to understand even simple points without inferring nonsense along with it might explain your wrong interpretation of history.

History is the interpretation itself! You may mean my history is an incotrrect interpretation of the past. The fact is there are statistics there. The regimes saying "there is no God" slaughtered people by the new-time. It is a recorded statistic.
    And I have said before: Theist, and sometimes Christian, rulers do indeed kill millions.

No they don't! Christianity has only killed millions over decades or centuries and only in a few very rare instances. The Crusades for example responsible for a million ( and not as many as two million) over centuries. Again human greed was involved but they were acting under call to arms of the Pope and they were going on a Holy War.
    Atheist religions are not always harmful.

Atheists left in command of society caused more harm than anyone else. As I stated Im happy for atheists or for atheist religions to exist. I just don't want them given control of the state.
    Again (and again and again and again). I am not claiming the Christian religion kills people (nor am I claiming atheistic religions kill people, there are peaceful atheist religions too).

Christianity only very rarely resulted in death. Atheism as a religion or as a controller of the State always did.
    And as I have said before, atheistic states were efficient (but by no means more efficient) in killing people because the small handful were mostly Totalitarian regimes executing socio-economic experiments in high population densities.

And as I posted in response - see above -
    Your 'population density' and 'technology' arguments are easily
    regimes from what they were under previous, better, times.

I did not want to gwet back into this but you just had to bring it up.

Another "scotsman" argument
    France , Mexico, Albania, Romania, Cambodia, Russia (Or the Union of slavery and supression of religion) largest country in the World also with several hundred millions - minus the 50 million or so wiped out by atheistic communism) , China ( most populous country in the world with about 25% of the population - minus about 50 million after the atheist Maoist great leap backiiwards and the cultural deevolution)

Seven so far.
    Czechoslovakia
    Mongolia
    North Korea.
    That's ten.

But there are more to add.
    Nineteenth century china?
    Ancient China?

And this handful (even including the contentious examples) is small enough to analyse the underpinning historical factors. So I ask you (again): Why do you infer that it is atheism, rather than, say, Totalitarianism, anti-clericalism, state-enforced suppression of religion, that is responsible for atrocities?
    Statistics Of
    Pre-20th Century Democide
    http://hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP2.HTM

How many by Christianity?

http://hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.TAB2.2.GIF
    Totals see row 50 - 1.3 billion plus in PRE Christian times.
    How many of them were because of Christianity?

Yes they have. Read the figures for the above ten regimes and the noineteenth century china and ancient china. And pre christian europe. ( the last example is a NOT Christian example rather than a strictly atheist one)

Quite simply. Christian countries with "there is a Christian God" have been around for 2000 years and quite possibly millions have di4ed at their hands. at the same time they created great civilizations. Atheism has created nothing and "there is no God" when adopted as a national slogan resulted in the deaths of hundreds of millions.

No they don't! Christianity has only killed millions over decades or centuries and only in a few very rare instances. The Crusades for example responsible for a million ( and not as many as two million) over centuries. Again human greed was involved but they were acting under call to arms of the Pope and they were going on a Holy War.

Again, you are trying to introduce a tangent. You said atheism is the cause of atrocities. History shows both atheists and theists (not just Christians) causing great atrocities. If you cannot defend non-Christian theists, you cannot defend the premise that great atrocities are a facet of atheism, and hence you cannot defend the claim that atheism causes atrocities.
    You are going over old ground with the population density argument.
    And the "better technology " argument

Which you never addressed. Do you believe the great leap forward would have killed on the order of 50 million if there were only, say 1 million people living in China?
    80 years of ATHEISM vs. 250 CENTURIES of RELIGION -atheists kill more, over 70,000,000 - Atheist excuses #1: "It's GOD'S FAULT!"
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.agnosticism/browse_thread/thread/48afe334c786a01f

This is unrelated to what I said. How many times do I have to explain this? I am not saying population densities caused the atrocities. I am saying the reason the death toll is so high is because when state-sponsored famine atrocities are executed, the number will be high. I am refuting your naive claim that "atheism" was why the number was so high.

And again, I ask you not to quote the morons from those groups. They make you look bad for both associating your view with theirs, and for trying to build a straw-man.
    We have been over that before. Not an example of christianity or of religion. a totally personal acquisition by Leopold and not doen for any christian reasons or any other expressed religious belief.
    Meanwhile next door in the other part of the congo atheistic marxists moved in ( you can now add then to the ten regimes above)

Theosophy is not Christian. christianity opposed the Nazis!

And I said I did not tender the above as examples of Christianity causing atrocities. I tendered the above as demonstrating the flabby logic of "atheism causes atrocities". The above categorically shows that atrocities are clearly an effect of something other than atheism.
    One atheist country fighting another atheist country.

About 70 percent of Japanese profess no religious membership

A deliberately dishonest tactic. Emperor divinity only collapsed after WWII. Modern Japan is not religious. Japan during WWII was not only religious, but theistic, worshipping a God King.
    Oh bit you don't apply the same reasoning to Leopold of Belgium. His Congo debacle was because of "religion" according to you?

No. I am going to have to start using crayon diagrams.
    Even when they torture and kill people for professing any faith and leave alone those professing atheism? Killing non atheists and leaving professed atheists alone has nothing to do with atheism?

Yes. Just as the Nazis might have been Darwinists, their use of Darwinism to justify atrocities had nothing to do with Darwinism
    I suppose killing Jews and leaving non Jews also has nothing to do with antisemitism and killing blacks while leaving all whites live has nothing to do with racism?

No.
    History is the interpretation itself! You may mean my history is an incotrrect interpretation of the past. The fact is there are statistics there. The regimes saying "there is no God" slaughtered people by the new-time. It is a recorded statistic.

And you have not reasonably interpreted any of the statistics, and instead have concluded that atheism causes atrocities.
    Atheists left in command of society caused more harm than anyone else. As I stated Im happy for atheists or for atheist religions to exist. I just don't want them given control of the state.

And this says nothing about the integrity of atheists. Only the integrity of atheist Totalitarians and extreme anti-clerics.
    Christianity only very rarely resulted in death. Atheism as a religion or as a controller of the State always did.

Atheistic religions (atheism itself is not a religion) have not always. I have corrected you on this before.

And this handful (even including the contentious examples) is small enough to analyse the underpinning historical factors.

I think you may mean "is large enough". I would think yes.
    How many countries in the UN about 150? that is about a fifteenth. Put it this way if it was the population of Ireland and you did a survey of 266,000 people would you consider that representative. In fact if you include China and Russia you are up near a third of the population of the world. So in terms of population that would be a sample of 1.2 million Irish people - more than vote in elections. I would not consider that a "handful".

Similarly communist countries can be examined to determine any patterns caused by Marxism. In terms of religion Cuba for example was not respectful of Christianity but it was more tolerant. And China became economically successful co incidentally when it relaxed it's pro atheist anti religious policies.

We can also look at ancient and nineteenth century atheistic regimes which predate State communism.

As I have stated how big does a "handful" or a Scotsman have to be before you eventually say it is a sample?
    So I ask you (again): Why do you infer that it is atheism, rather than, say, Totalitarianism, anti-clericalism, state-enforced suppression of religion, that is responsible for atrocities?

AS I stated so long as you leave Christianity alone I didn't want to go into all this. But if you insist atheistic regimes are different to theistic ones then I have to take you to task on that.
    Either you can't ever criticise Christianity or you have to accept the same for atheism.

Let us take your examples in reverse
    If a State is enforcing one religion over another ( almost never happened with Christianity) then I accept that is an atrocity you can chalk up to Christianity.
    How many dead did it cause in 2000 years?
    If it is Christians supporting the persecution of clerics or other faiths or of a different christian denomination I also accept it can be added to christian atrocities.
    Again how many dead?

The Totalitarian I have also dealt with. If it was authoritarian Totalitarian or democracy i supplied figures.

How is it the atheistic ones always come out on top for murdering?
    Again, you are trying to introduce a tangent. You said atheism is the cause of atrocities. History shows both atheists and theists (not just Christians) causing great atrocities.

It shows Christians vanishingly small in the atrocity league with atheism consistently holding top place.

If you cannot defend non-Christian theists, you cannot defend the premise that great atrocities are a facet of atheism, and hence you cannot defend the claim that atheism causes atrocities.

That isn't a valid logical argument. Islam could also cause atrocities or Paganism. They still don't get anywhere near atheistic regimes but this group is about Christianity and I have no interest in rehearsing the differences between Christianity and Islam or Christianity and animism or whatever.
    Which you never addressed. Do you believe the great leap forward would have killed on the order of 50 million if there were only, say 1 million people living in China?

I like the way you switched "population density" with just simply "population"
    Nice try. The thing is above try to dismiss the same huge population of China as a "handful" :)

As stated before
    'population density' and 'technology' arguments are easily

Countries with similar population densities thrived without atheism. Countries with atheism as a central principle in society became economic backwaters.
    This is unrelated to what I said. How many times do I have to explain this? I am not saying population densities caused the atrocities. I am saying the reason the death toll is so high is because when state-sponsored famine atrocities are executed, the number will be high.

All that is saying is if an atheist causes an atrocity because of atheism he will kill the same number of people that a christian will kill doing the same atrocity because of Christianity. so how come the atheists do it far more frequently?
    How come all the atheistic regimes committed atrocities ( whether they had huge or tiny populations) and not all the Christian regimes did ( in fact only a tiny minority of them)?

The idea that atheism only comes about in huge populations is also untrue just as Countries which are religious have huge populations of followers. Ther are more christians that anyone else. christiany make atheists look like a small number. So how come there are few christian famines and how come if you look at famines it is the Christians who are first on the scene and the atheists are nowhere to be found?
    I am refuting your naive claim that "atheism" was why the number was so high.

Well it certainly was not Christianity. You can refute away to my friends from china who were persecuted for their beliefs by a State who want their own official atheist version of the Church.
    And again, I ask you not to quote the morons from those groups. They make you look bad for both associating your view with theirs, and for trying to build a straw-man.

...'population density' and 'technology' arguments are easily
    And I said I did not tender the above as examples of Christianity causing atrocities. I tendered the above as demonstrating the flabby logic of "atheism causes atrocities". The above categorically shows that atrocities are clearly an effect of something other than atheism.

I don't know about that but I'm happy to leave atheism alone as a root cause when you and other atheists are happy to accept Christianity isn't a threat to the world and a cause of atrocities.
    A deliberately dishonest tactic. Emperor divinity only collapsed after WWII.

Those were the stats I got.
    I resent you calling me dishonest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_China#Buddhism
    introduced from India during the Han Dynasty, traditionally in the 1st century.

Buddhism is effectively atheist.

Buddhism first arrived in Japan in the 6th century
    From the beginning, the largest form of Buddhism in Japan was the Mahayana school. According to the Agency of Cultural Affairs, 91 million Japanese identify themselves as Buddhist.
    Before 1868, there were three main forms of Shinto: Shrine Shinto, the most popular type; Folk (or Popular) Shinto, practiced by the peasants; and Imperial Household Shinto, practiced by the imperial family of Japan. In the 18th and 19th centuries, independent Shinto sects – Sect Shinto – formed, some of which were very radical, such as the monotheistic Tenrikyo. These became known as the Shinto Sects or the New Religions. Following the Meiji Restoration in 1868, Shinto and Buddhism were forcefully separated. The Emperor Meiji made Shinto the official religion, creating a form of Shinto known as State Shinto by merging Shrine, Folk, and Imperial Household Shinto. The radical Sect Shinto was separated from State Shinto. Under Meiji, Japan became a moderate theocracy, with shrines under government control. Shinto soon became a reason for Japanese nationalism

Yes Ill admit in WWII they enforced Emperor Worship. But similar arguments apply as to juche; or to Shinto/Bhuddism being atheistic; or to the "religion" only becoming established in 1868. But I'm happy to accept this non christian regime just like the Nazis was also non atheist. It certainly was not christian.
    Modern Japan is not religious. Japan during WWII was not only religious, but theistic, worshipping a God King.

Which only became imposed at that time. traditionally they were atheist/Buddhist. But yes like elevating Hitler for nationalist purposes they evevated Emporor Worship . But like North Korea I look on this as not an example of religion . But whatever argument for it not being atheist it certainly isn't christian
    Atheistic religions (atheism itself is not a religion) have not always. I have corrected you on this before.
    Nope . you gave examples of a few groups who did some good charitable works along christian principles. I don't recollect you showing me "There is no God" governments which did great works.

And China became economically successful when it co incidentally relaxed it's pro atheist anti religious policies.
    Fixed that for you.!
    But like North Korea I look on this as not an example of religion
    See this is going to be a problem, if we keep moving the goalposts no one can win (not that winning is the point anyway) I'l define my use of the terms so we know where I stand;
    Atheist = believe in no God/gods
    Theist = believe in A God/ gods
    Christian = believe that Christ was God
    Religion = Worship of a God/gods leaders or ideals. (what you might call idols ;) )
    Anti theist, religion, cleric = seeking to remove all trace of from society.
    OK so can we agree that: the love of money is the root of all evil?
    Corruption is power? People kill people? People are not rational? God won't stop it (So far anyway)? It might help to get to what causes it? The blame game is a waste of time? Power-hungry, ignorant, prejudiced bigotry isn't just for Christmas.. er Christians (or atheists)

I think you may mean "is large enough". I would think yes.

I mean small enough to look at in more detail. If there had been, say, 1,000 atheist regimes over history, and they had all committed atrocities, then there might be something to the claim.
    How many countries in the UN about 150? that is about a fifteenth. Put it this way if it was the population of Ireland and you did a survey of 266,000 people would you consider that representative. In fact if you include China and Russia you are up near a third of the population of the world. So in terms of population that would be a sample of 1.2 million Irish people - more than vote in elections. I would not consider that a "handful".

Using population as metric is completely irrelevant. You would have took at a "regime population" throughout history. We see that the number of such regimes are small enough to analyse in more detail.
    Similarly communist countries can be examined to determine any patterns caused by Marxism. In terms of religion Cuba for example was not respectful of Christianity but it was more tolerant. And China became economically successful co incidentally when it relaxed it's pro atheist anti religious policies.

We can also look at ancient and nineteenth century atheistic regimes which predate State communism.

As I have stated how big does a "handful" or a Scotsman have to be before you eventually say it is a sample?

We can indeed look at these regimes. That is what I am asking you to do. What is the argument, based on these regimes, that atheism will lead to atrocities, as opposed to, say Totalitarianism, anti-clericalism coupled with anti-pluralism? Modern Japan has a largely atheist population. In fact, it is an example of a secular pluralist society, where Christianity et al are in the minority, but free to practise their religion without persecution. Do you believe they are on the road to another massacre?
    AS I stated so long as you leave Christianity alone I didn't want to go into all this. But if you insist atheistic regimes are different to theistic ones then I have to take you to task on that.
    Either you can't ever criticise Christianity or you have to accept the same for atheism.

I am not insisting they are different. I have said before that I want neither. I want secular pluralism. Sure, I would be pleased if atheists were in the majority, but only if this came through discourse and not oppression. I am specifically addressing the claim that atheism causes atrocities: That if a society becomes atheist, through whatever means, they will start killing people.
    Let us take your examples in reverse
    If a State is enforcing one religion over another ( almost never happened with Christianity) then I accept that is an atrocity you can chalk up to Christianity.
    How many dead did it cause in 2000 years?
    If it is Christians supporting the persecution of clerics or other faiths or of a different christian denomination I also accept it can be added to christian atrocities.
    Again how many dead?

The Totalitarian I have also dealt with. If it was authoritarian Totalitarian or democracy i supplied figures.

How is it the atheistic ones always come out on top for murdering?

It shows Christians vanishingly small in the atrocity league with atheism consistently holding top place.

So how come the atheists do it far more frequently?
    How come all the atheistic regimes committed atrocities ( whether they had huge or tiny populations) and not all the Christian regimes did ( in fact only a tiny minority of them)?

Does this mean you are now changing your position from "Atheism causes atrocities." To "state-enforced Christianity is comparatively benign"?
    That isn't a valid logical argument. Islam could also cause atrocities or Paganism. They still don't get anywhere near atheistic regimes but this group is about Christianity and I have no interest in rehearsing the differences between Christianity and Islam or Christianity and animism or whatever.

You are the one who brought them into it when you said history shows that atheism causes atrocities. It is perfectly appropriate that theist atrocities are up there as well, implying other causes.
    I like the way you switched "population density" with just simply "population"
    Nice try. The thing is above try to dismiss the same huge population of China as a "handful" :)

As stated before
    'population density' and 'technology' arguments are easily

Countries with similar population densities thrived without atheism. Countries with atheism as a central principle in society became economic backwaters.

I have made it perfectly clear what I mean by population density (not just population). From my post #1830 (A post I assumed you missed, as you did not respond to it) :

"And I refer you to my earlier remark about not imposing other discussions onto this one. I have never made the "Leopold of Belgium is evidence of Christianity causing regimes in the Congo" argument (as I have pointed out numerous times), and I am well aware that high population does not automatically result in famine. Mao's famine was entirely state-sponsored. It was a repulsive socio-economic experiment in rapid industrialisation that cost millions of lives. But the number of deaths is directly linked to the high population. Is it an excuse? Of course not, but you are acting like atheism was the contingency, when it was clearly a number of factors, none of which being atheism."
    All that is saying is if an atheist causes an atrocity because of atheism he will kill the same number of people that a christian will kill doing the same atrocity because of Christianity.

Bingo. Atheism is not the reason the death toll was so high.
    The idea that atheism only comes about in huge populations is also untrue just as Countries which are religious have huge populations of followers. Ther are more christians that anyone else. christiany make atheists look like a small number. So how come there are few christian famines and how come if you look at famines it is the Christians who are first on the scene and the atheists are nowhere to be found?

I can't parse this paragraph. What are you asking?
    Well it certainly was not Christianity. You can refute away to my friends from china who were persecuted for their beliefs by a State who want their own official atheist version of the Church.

And I am not saying it was Christianity.
    I don't know about that but I'm happy to leave atheism alone as a root cause when you and other atheists are happy to accept Christianity isn't a threat to the world and a cause of atrocities.

Do you mean:

"I no longer believe atheism is a root cause."

or

"I still believe atheism is a root cause, but I will not supply an argument for why I think this."

Those were the stats I got.
    I resent you calling me dishonest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_China#Buddhism
    introduced from India during the Han Dynasty, traditionally in the 1st century.

Buddhism is effectively atheist.

Buddhism first arrived in Japan in the 6th century
    From the beginning, the largest form of Buddhism in Japan was the Mahayana school. According to the Agency of Cultural Affairs, 91 million Japanese identify themselves as Buddhist.

Yes Ill admit in WWII they enforced Emperor Worship. But similar arguments apply as to juche; or to Shinto/Bhuddism being atheistic; or to the "religion" only becoming established in 1868. But I'm happy to accept this non christian regime just like the Nazis was also non atheist. It certainly was not christian.

WWII Japan was not an atheist regimes. While North Korea and Stalinist Russia can be called atheist (North Korea came close to theism when it was suggested Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il were the same, transcendant being), the Emperor of Japan was a God. Again, I do not tender examples to argue that they committed atrocities because they were theists. I do it to show that atrocities stem from something other than atheism. Do you see, for example, similarities between atheist regimes like Stalin's russia, and "non atheist" regimes like Nazi Germany, or WWII Japan, or a variety of examples in Africa?
    Which only became imposed at that time. traditionally they were atheist/Buddhist. But yes like elevating Hitler for nationalist purposes they evevated Emporor Worship . But like North Korea I look on this as not an example of religion . But whatever argument for it not being atheist it certainly isn't christian

North Korea is definitely atheist (Though WWII Japan wasn't).
    Nope . you gave examples of a few groups who did some good charitable works along christian principles. I don't recollect you showing me "There is no God" governments which did great works.

You specifically said atheist religions all cause atrocities. Jainism is an example of a peaceful atheist religion, as are atheist branches of Unitarianism

Fixed that for you.!

I don't understand. Are you claiming that all these atheistic regimes persecuting religion just happened to coincide with their economic collapse?
    See this is going to be a problem, if we keep moving the goalposts no one can win (not that winning is the point anyway) I'l define my use of the terms so we know where I stand;
    Atheist = believe in no God/gods
    Theist = believe in A God/ gods
    Christian = believe that Christ was God
    Religion = Worship of a God/gods leaders or ideals. (what you might call idols ;) )

I'm with you all the way up to the definition of religion.
    Morbert is claiming atheism can be a religion.

But the juche thing is clearly an invented religion = not a religion
    Id think ancestor worship goes in the same pile although Im willing to say it isn't necessarily atheism. However the traditional religion in Japan/china Bhuddism is atheistic.

One thing is certain- it ISN'T Christianity so you can't chalk up any deaths to christianity - which is the whole goalpost you have in the first place!
    Anti theist, religion, cleric = seeking to remove all trace of from society.
    OK so can we agree that: the love of money is the root of all evil?
    Corruption is power? People kill people? People are not rational?

This isn't a discussion about what evil is or whether worship of the material is a worse evil or corruption or whether or not people are rational.

Reason is reason and logic is logic whether or not you happen to be reasonable or not.

As for people killing others. How come atheistic ( no golaposts involved atheistoc= promoting "there is no God or gods " your defiition) regimes have such a record
    in killijng people?
    God won't stop it (So far anyway)?

That would be your belief. It would not be the Christian belief.
    It might help to get to what causes it?

Im not making the claim that no atrocities happened because of religion or atheism. Im just asking you - how come all the atheistic regimes killed hundreds of millions and the christian ones didn't?
    The blame game is a waste of time? Power-hungry, ignorant, prejudiced bigotry isn't just for Christmas.. er Christians (or atheists)

How come all the power-hungry, ignorant, prejudiced bigoted atheists killed hundreds of millions and contributed nothing and the power-hungry, ignorant, prejudiced bigoted Christians didn't and built societies instead?

• Advertisement

I don't understand. Are you claiming that all these atheistic regimes persecuting religion just happened to coincide with their economic collapse?
    No I'm pointing out the possibility that you confuse coincidence with causality.
    Im not making the claim that no atrocities happened because of religion or atheism. Im just asking you - how come all the atheistic regimes killed hundreds of millions and the christian ones didn't?
    OK so thats your question, after page and page of text?
    I'll get back to you on this but a first glance would lead me to believe that the lack of any constraint might play a part. The end justifies the means is an easy conclusion for power-hungry, ignorant, prejudiced bigoted dictators to make. But the distinction that we are trying to make is that atheism doesn't remove moral constraint, it merely moves it somewhere else. The fact that all the examples you give lacked constraint shows megalomania coupled with fanaticism armed with a state system and modern weapons can achieve a good frag count if the economic and social conditions are right. In a way they are examples of a reaction to religion. Or a misunderstanding of the use of religious instinct. Possibly a combination of both coupled with the aforementioned megalomania.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement