Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pajero 2.8 Vibration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Did you balance the driveshaft before or after fitting new universal joints? If you balanced the driveshaft before, the new balance is dependant on the old joints and even if theres the tiniest amount of play in them, at 2000 rpm, the difference in the new joint mount/position will put you back in square one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Op did you ever get to the root of the problem with the vibration?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Op did you ever get to the root of the problem with the vibration?

No. put it all back together, it is back on the road.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Nothing wrong with Diff anyway, all bearings perfect,gear pattern perfect. Back lash sound. what a waste of time taking the fooking thing out, should of known myself, when i dropped the gear oil and nothing on the magnet :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Don't bother - put the back up in the air, wheels off the ground, use railway sleepers or whatever, and run it through the gears, as in actually drive it through the gears with the wheels spinning off the ground - make sure you chock the front wheels well and have it 100% supported. You won't be long seeing what's vibrating.

Did mention that tho.. Did you get the wheels carefully re-balanced?

Did mention that tho.. Did you get the wheels carefully re-balanced?

Vibration still there with wheels off!

• Advertisement

Vibration still there with wheels off!

Somethings bent. Either the prop or a support bearing is gone. Has to be.

It cannot turn into an unsolved mystery, or can it?

Lets recap: Vibration at higher speeds.

You're positive that both front and rear driveshafts are aligned. Do you have the front driveshaft engaged? It's not damaging in a Pajo with a centre differential, Its just a little harder on fuel and you will notice some extra feedback when the front drivline is engaged. Particularly if the hubs up front arent centred.
    Been off road recently? Check the front axle drive shafts for and slight bends too.

You're positive the wheels are balanced but look at the tyres when spinning. You can make a buckled tyre read "zero" on a balancing machine but you'll still feel it on the road.

Look at the mounting of the wheels aswell. Slight dirt will prevent a straight mount making the wheel wonky. Same goes for recently replaced discs, if the hubs weren't sanded smooth before new discs were fitted, they shouldn't have bothered removing the old ones tbh, as 3 times out of 10 youll catch flakes of rusty metal between the new disc and hub.

I know you say it's coming from the rear but it's time to start looking around the jeep at this stage.

I drove the jeep in 4wd with rear prop removed,No Vibration!

Thanks for the replies guys,its all a real team effort :D

I am going to leave it be for a while. Might try a second hand rear prop(if I can get one). that will rule out all in rear, bar Gearbox output!

Drive her on for now....

Did the vibration only start after you replaced the hardy splice?

• Advertisement

Did the vibration only start after you replaced the hardy splice?

The old U joint was ****ed, that is what i thought was causing the Vib.

The old U joint was ****ed, that is what i thought was causing the Vib.

And it would no doubt and noise like a bastard too.

Rear propshaft is out of balance. Mystery solved. Feck off and get another propshaft...:D

Rear propshaft is out of balance. Mystery solved. Feck off and get another propshaft...:D

Its looking that way, but like all soaps they could be a twist ;)

Its looking that way, but like all soaps they could be a twist ;)

Denise Van Outen is in going to be in Eastenders...I hate Eastenders..but, Denise Van Outen....I may start watching................Denise Van Outen.........Mmmmmmmmm................

Prop not to be got in breakers:rolleyes:

Prop not to be got in breakers:rolleyes:

Have a closer look at the new joint you replaced actually. Have a feel around where the caps go into the holes and be sure they're all in tge same distance? There should be circlips on them too.

Edit: Try fitting the propshaft in different positions too, If the bolts arent centric. It's good practice to tippex the flange of both the diff and the shaft before dismantling. If this wasn't done, the shaft might not have been put back the same way and might, in some cases, vibrate.

Have a closer look at the new joint you replaced actually. Have a feel around where the caps go into the holes and be sure they're all in tge same distance? There should be circlips on them too.

Are You insinuating I fitted the U joint incorrectly ??

:D:D

Time for an Easter Egg yet??

Are You insinuating I fitted the U joint incorrectly ??
    :D:D
    Time for an Easter Egg yet??

I've fitted enough of them arseways, and without tippexing first, to know :o

I woke up and had one :D

I've fitted enough of them arseways, and without tippexing first, to know :o

I woke up and had one :D

TBH I did not tip ex it.... didn't think it would make that big of a diff:confused:

Not a creed of an Egg round here:mad:

• Advertisement

TBH I did not tip ex it.... didn't think it would make that big of a diff :confused:
    latest?cb=20150225192204
    Some setups have the bolt holes arranged that they can only be bolted in one position. Others don't and for about half, you end up with vibration if you don't bolt it back the way it was unbolted. It's a little bit time consuming but you basically have to unbolt, move clockwise one quarter, rebolt and drive. If it doesn't resolve after at least three new positions, then it's probably definitely the shaft :D

Not a creed of an Egg round here:mad:
    Bad form. Very bad form :mad:

I bet Denise van Outen wouldn't have fitted it the wrong way round...:D

Is yours short or long op?

Is yours short or long op?

SWB Lad

I know a scrap yard that has a few swb scrapped in Cork, they could also courier it to you also.

I bet Denise van Outen wouldn't have fitted it the wrong way round...:D

Not to be going too much off topic or declaring myself a soap lover but was she in the soap before? :o

Not to be going too much off topic or declaring myself a soap lover but was she in the soap before? :o

No. Or maybe. Never used to watch it, still don't, but Denise Van Outen.....

No. Or maybe. Never used to watch it, still don't, but Denise Van Outen.....

I did some googling on her and the soap there, interesting viewing, just after setting up record on as much of eastenders as i could and look forward to be posting with you on the soaps forums. :p

I did some googling on her and the soap there, interesting viewing, just after setting up record on as much of eastenders as i could and look forward to be posting with you on the soaps forums. :p

It's gonna be a hole new interest. :D

• Advertisement

Denise making an entry tonight @7.30pm DOS ;)

Advertisement