Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

White Ribbon is a fraud

• 30-11-2014 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Yeah - I guess my thoughts on this is that they are a bunch of bastards and shouldn't be supported. I've been reading up a lot on them and their financial records coming out of Oz and Canada show that they are pocketing almost all of the money donated to them.

Todd Minerson of WR-Canada has repeatedly lied on television about DV on a number of occasions and now we have White Ribbon Ireland lying about the prevalence of rape in Irish society.

I won't donate to these people.

There's a piece on this on the Irish Times website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Good stuff OP, I'll continue not supporting or donating to that organisation who I've no idea who they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

I've just had a look through their site. What do they actually do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Good stuff OP, I'll continue not supporting or donating to that organisation who I've no idea who they are.
    http://www.whiteribbon.ie/

Yeah - I guess my thoughts on this is that they are a bunch of bastards and shouldn't be supported. I've been reading up a lot on them and their financial records coming out of Oz and Canada show that they are pocketing almost all of the money donated to them.

Todd Minerson of WR-Canada has repeatedly lied on television about DV on a number of occasions and now we have White Ribbon Ireland lying about the prevalence of rape in Irish society.

I won't donate to these people.

There's a piece on this on the Irish Times website.

I support your right to choice to do what you like with your money OP.

Byeee have a lovely sunday xx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Agent Green

White Ribbon Ireland are a group who are dedicated to ending violence against women. Tom Meagher, whose wife was murdered in Oz, is their spokesperson.

Unfortunately, the group is a fraud. The majority of money they make goes into salaries and fundraising. They don't do anything to actually end violence - against anybody.

I'd post a link but I can't as I haven't built up a large enough post history here. I'm more of a lurker to be honest. But yeah - they've been caught lying (again) about rape, this time in Ireland.

Miriam O'Callaghan is a big supporter of theirs. They trade on people's ignorance of the issues and their unwillingness to dig a little deeper.

• Advertisement

White Ribbon Ireland are a group who are dedicated to ending violence against women. Tom Meagher, whose wife was murdered in Oz, is their spokesperson.

Unfortunately, the group is a fraud. The majority of money they make goes into salaries and fundraising. They don't do anything to actually end violence - against anybody.

I'd post a link but I can't as I haven't built up a large enough post history here. I'm more of a lurker to be honest. But yeah - they've been caught lying (again) about rape, this time in Ireland.

Miriam O'Callaghan is a big supporter of theirs. They trade on people's ignorance of the issues and their unwillingness to dig a little deeper.

I did it for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Have you any evidence the Irish wing of this charity is involved in such alleged fraud? Where and how did you find out their salaries, donations etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

As a film which uses b+w cinematography and a sparse script, the manner in which it manages to slowly build tension into such an ultimate crescendo of bathos and completeness, yet leaving the viewer to ruminate on the fleetingness of time, knowing the horrors which are to come after the final scene, one cannot consider it a fraud.

catallus wrote: »
    As a film which uses b+w cinematography and a sparse script, the manner in which it manages to slowly build tension into such an ultimate crescendo of bathos and completeness, yet leaving the viewer to ruminate on the fleetingness of time, knowing the horrors which are to come after the final scene, one cannot consider it a fraud.

The OP is correct though we should evaluate all charities with scrutiny. I have certainly been duped. There is no harm in it.

I think this might be what the OP is referring too although how much in persuit of justice the OP is I don't know.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/white-ribbon-day-overestimates-reported-rapes-eight-fold-1.2014659

They claimed that there were 3500 REPORTED rapes in ireland annually. The official figure recorded by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) is 451. They got the figures from the Men's Development network.

They conceded the mistake.

It might be better to give to the rape crisis centre. I do they are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Agent Green

I think this might be what the OP is referring too although how much in persuit of justice the OP is I don't know.

They claimed that there were 3500 REPORTED rapes in ireland annually. The official figure recorded by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) is 451. They got the figures from the Men's Development network.

They conceded the mistake.

It might be better to give to the rape crisis centre. I do they are amazing.

Actually - they didn't just get the data from the MDN - White Ribbon Ireland is run by the MDN. Nudderwords, they were perfectly aware of what the data was when they gave it to Carr communications, as it was their data to begin with.

And thanks for posting the link for me; it's appreciated. :-)

Advertisement