Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€65m on Irish road signs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Days 298 wrote: »
    I know. I wish there was.
    Why? In theory Irish could be completely removed from signs without a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why? In theory Irish could be completely removed from signs without a vote.

But politicians won't do that. The only way irish would be knocked off signs would be if people asked for it in numbers. For now the only people interested in the signs are the irish language lobby.

Days 298 wrote: »
    But politicians won't do that. The only way irish would be knocked off signs would be if people asked for it in numbers. For now the only people interested in the signs are the irish language lobby.
    But don't you see how important the article is? Even forget about road signs in the grand scheme they're not important, article 8.3 give state permission to use either language in any of it's official capacities. It practically invalidates 8.2 and 8.1.

At least there'd be no labour costs in erecting them, just get a few Jobbridge lackeys in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

At least there'd be no labour costs in erecting them, just get a few Jobbridge lackeys in.
    Putting up road signs is only slightly less lucrative than owning a money printing machine. The rates charged for erecting a road sign are from the planet zog. Same goes for pretty much everything else associated with roads-maintenance. It's another world, a cosy world full of friends, departments with deep pockets, cartells and red-tape. Or so I'm told.

• Advertisement

Putting up road signs is only slightly less lucrative than owning a money printing machine. The rates charged for erecting a road sign are from the planet zog. Same goes for pretty much everything else associated with roads-maintenance. It's another world, a cosy world full of friends, departments with deep pockets, cartells and red-tape. Or so I'm told.

Flowers and the like is brilliant one on a local level.

rawn wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/green-light-for-plan-to-make-road-signs-more-irish-29736922.html

Does anyone else see this as a massive waste of time and money? I still cannot understand why we cling to this dead language so fiercely. We live in a country where people either speak both Irish and English, or just English. We don't need Irish translations everywhere. Don't get me started on the pointlessness of mandatorily teaching it in schools :rolleyes: Surely it's time we stopped fighting to keep the Irish language relevant?
    Those signs are so much easier to read than the current ones, ignore the politics of the language for a moment and just look at the readability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

Rabble rabble rabble. I've never read as much bruscar in my life.

We have TWO official languages in Ireland

Bilingual roadsigns are nothing unusual around Europe.

These signs did not cost 65 million euro. They are being brought in gradually as the old ones need replacing!

And they are a lot better and clearer in my opinion at least.

fits wrote: »
    Bilingual roadsigns are nothing unusual around Europe.
    Ah that's all right then. As long as they do it in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

thats a bit irish

I never heard this expression till I emigrated to England in the 70s. But why do IRISH people use it so pejoratively against themselves? What other nation or people would say something like this against themselves? Are we so colonialised that we accept and internalise the oppressors prejudice as regards our inferiority?

It is like somebody having poor self-esteem, but an entire nation!:eek:

• Advertisement

I never heard this expression till I emigrated to England in the 70s. But why do IRISH people use it so pejoratively against themselves? What other nation or people would say something like this against themselves? Are we so colonialised that we accept and internalise the oppressors prejudice as regards our inferiority?

It is like somebody having poor self-esteem, but an entire nation!:eek:
    Don't be silly, I don't have low self esteem but I still know I'm a gob ****é. You are too even if you don't know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Ah that's all right then. As long as they do it in Europe.
    They do it all over the UK too!

And these countries have how many official languages???

They do it all over the UK too!
    The UK is in Europe. We have bilingual signs here, if anything we should be making Irish language names smaller to compensate for their longer names.

And these countries have how many official languages???
    Look up article 8.3 of the constitution, what does it say? The government has no obligation to pursue this folly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As suspected, Kilmacanog (previously Kilmaconogue) was just the tip of the iceberg. The countdown to 2016 is well under way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

So the €65 million would have to be spent anyway regardless of the design of the signs.

And the Signs actually look better and are easier for the motorists to read.

But the Irish is more prominent so fúck you Government/Conradh/Gaeilgóirí. You are wasting €65 million on a dead language, could be better off spent on healthcare instead of propping up a dead language, etc. rabble rabble.

Just another day in AH.

• Advertisement

The UK is in Europe. We have bilingual signs here, if anything we should be making Irish language names smaller to compensate for their longer names.
    Don't you want Ireland to join a United Kingdom? Seeing as they have bilingual signs the easiest way to progress towards your goal is to show the English/Scots/Welsh that we are capable of the same open mindedness as they possess.

Don't you want Ireland to join a United Kingdom? Seeing as they have bilingual signs the easiest way to progress towards your goal is to show the English/Scots/Welsh that we are capable of the same open mindedness as they possess.
    I toyed with the idea for long enough to post a reply but it's hardly my life passion.

I toyed with the idea for long enough to post a reply but it's hardly my life passion.
    So you're saying that you lack the British sense of fair play? Very good then!

So you're saying that you lack the British sense of fair play? Very good then!
    It's not about fair play, the language, culture or any other such nonsense. It's about safety. The exact reason we have smaller print for Irish names as things stand.

Don't be silly, I don't have low self esteem but I still know I'm a gob ****é. You are too even if you don't know it.

I'm glad you have insight, but I still am an expert in my field. Sad for you though. :D

It's not about fair play, the language, culture or any other such nonsense. It's about safety. The exact reason we have smaller print for Irish names as things stand.

*snirk* ah go on.. pull the other one :D

I'm glad you have insight*, but I still am an expert in my field. Sad for you though. :D

*you don't.

*snirk* ah go on.. pull the other one :D
    Believe what you want it's not my place to convince you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think an interesting analogy would be the Gaelige Vs English options on Cash Point Machines (ATMs).

Hom many people choose the Gaelige (instead of English) option when doing an ATM transaction?

• Advertisement

Nope, your lack of the famed British sense of fair play makes you anti-British. I shall not be taking any of your posts seriously. You sir are a spoofer!

Advertisement