Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi all, Ive read through about the WHV on the site and just want to make sure Im right on this as im not 100%.

Im 30 which means I can still apply for the WHV now, Ill be 31 in December 11, If I apply now and get it, Can I travel In January 13 and will the visa be valid ?
    Wrong thread .... But yes if you apply now you have till March 13 to arrive in Oz at which you you have 1 year to stay here.
    But you cannot apply for a 2nd WHV If you are over 31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

not sure if this is the right spot.

in a nut shell I'm considering a move to Australia.

I'm looking at a skilled state sponsored visa (class 176) but I'm coming up short of the points calculator here

Age i get 25
    state sponsor 5
    qualification 15
    giving me 45 in total.

is the Overseas and Australian Skilled Employment basically points i can gain for years working in my field? if so then i can get a further 15
    taking me to 60 again still short.

I know Australia allows points for English language skills but ROI passport holders are considered "competent" that gives me 0 points. but can i still undergo the test to try gain the additional points i need to get over the 65 threshold?

are there any other options available to me to help get me over the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

is the Overseas and Australian Skilled Employment basically points i can gain for years working in my field? if so then i can get a further 15

I know Australia allows points for English language skills but ROI passport holders are considered "competent" that gives me 0 points. but can i still undergo the test to try gain the additional points i need to get over the 65 threshold?

Hey Faolchu, yep the overseas and Australian skilled employment section awards you points based on how many years experience you have in your field. I think they weight it so that if you have that experience in Australia you gain slightly more points than if you have it anywhere else.

With regards to doing the English language skills, yep you can definitely do that to boost your points. It seems to be a fairly common occurrence now as a lot of people tend to fall five or so points short.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Faolchu wrote: »
    not sure if this is the right spot.

in a nut shell I'm considering a move to Australia.

I'm looking at a skilled state sponsored visa (class 176) but I'm coming up short of the points calculator here

Age i get 25
    state sponsor 5
    qualification 15
    giving me 45 in total.

are there any other options available to me to help get me over the line?

Hello,

Firstly I can only give general information as I have no knowledge or evidence of your personal details etc.

So in summary

- most visa applicants from Ireland will need to sit IELTS test to meet passmark
    - Overseas work experience in most cases needs to be post qualification and tax evidence of such is required as well as detailed references etc
    - state sponsorship - make sure you read all criteria including financial requirements

If you have not yet started on this pathway you may find you are too late. This visa category will change on July 1st so timing is everything.

Best of luck, Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Traq

thannks for that answer off to get some spelling lessons so :)

Liz

I'm only starting out, i've 12 years + experience in the IT sector (in ireland only) and have a BSc in business and IT which was awarded about 4 years ago, i've also some industry certification, Microsoft etc in the last 3-4 years. so would me work experience only be considered after the certification?

• Advertisement

Faolchu wrote: »
    Traq

thannks for that answer off to get some spelling lessons so :)

Liz

I'm only starting out, i've 12 years + experience in the IT sector (in ireland only) and have a BSc in business and IT which was awarded about 4 years ago, i've also some industry certification, Microsoft etc in the last 3-4 years. so would me work experience only be considered after the certification?

Hello, Skill Assessments got IT professionals can be quite complex so important to study ACS guidelines fully. In some cases pre-qualification experience can be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

Hey guys.

Well I'm a long time reader but only recently decided to actually register to comment. Can I say what a great thread this is and its wonderful to see people helping eachother and Liz/Declan and others patiently and carefully helping people with their questions.

My details:

Civil Engineer
    5 years exp
    Age 28

Basically I've always dreamed of working in Australia for a few years and now that I've gained enough experience I want to try and apply for the 175 asap. I've read and read but could you guys tell me if I've got this order right:

1. Check if I meet the points req - check - should have 70 once I get an English test

2. I understand next step is to get my skills assessed. As I qualify under the Washington Accord as an engineer I understand I simply have to complete the Wash Acc form and submit together with my fee, degree cert and so forth. The main thing I wonder here is do I need to submit work experience history with this application - or is that only needed for final application?

3. Apply for English test - I understand I can apply for this after I submit skill assessment as I'm Irish.

4. Collate all relevant documentation - birth certs, passports, wedding cert. Now one thing I wonder about here is I clearly have to show Work Experience history. Can Payslips and tax slips suffice here? I really don't want to have to ask my current employers for a letter as I don't want them to know I am applying for this visa until I'm sure I've got it (as they would simply let me go, knowing I wasn't interested in staying much longer).

5. Submit above documentation together with English Test results and Skill Assessment Results.

Seems easy enough. I'd be delighted if anyone could answer any of my queries above or let me know where I may have missed something.

Thanks a mill guys

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

RedPaddyX wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Well I'm a long time reader but only recently decided to actually register to comment. Can I say what a great thread this is and its wonderful to see people helping eachother and Liz/Declan and others patiently and carefully helping people with their questions.

My details:

Civil Engineer
    5 years exp
    Age 28

Basically I've always dreamed of working in Australia for a few years and now that I've gained enough experience I want to try and apply for the 175 asap. I've read and read but could you guys tell me if I've got this order right:

1. Check if I meet the points req - check - should have 70 once I get an English test

2. I understand next step is to get my skills assessed. As I qualify under the Washington Accord as an engineer I understand I simply have to complete the Wash Acc form and submit together with my fee, degree cert and so forth. The main thing I wonder here is do I need to submit work experience history with this application - or is that only needed for final application?

3. Apply for English test - I understand I can apply for this after I submit skill assessment as I'm Irish.

4. Collate all relevant documentation - birth certs, passports, wedding cert. Now one thing I wonder about here is I clearly have to show Work Experience history. Can Payslips and tax slips suffice here? I really don't want to have to ask my current employers for a letter as I don't want them to know I am applying for this visa until I'm sure I've got it (as they would simply let me go, knowing I wasn't interested in staying much longer).

5. Submit above documentation together with English Test results and Skill Assessment Results.

Seems easy enough. I'd be delighted if anyone could answer any of my queries above or let me know where I may have missed something.

Thanks a mill guys

You will need to get your work experience assessed by Engineers Australia also to ensure it is relevant. There is a seperate form to fill out and possibly a seperate fee.

You can do the IELTS at any stage as its vaild for 2 years.

You will need to get your work experience assessed by Engineers Australia also to ensure it is relevant. There is a seperate form to fill out and possibly a seperate fee.

You can do the IELTS at any stage as its vaild for 2 years.[/Quote]

Ok I wondered about that. Must check that out thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Any one know what the current processing time for a 175 and a 176 in WA is?

• Advertisement

RedPaddyX wrote: »
    Hey guys.

My details:

Civil Engineer
    5 years exp
    Age 28

Thanks a mill guys

Hello Redpaddy

Make sure you have degree/transcript etc and documents certified according to EA guidelines as they are strict....follow the instructions to the letter on all the requirements and also good to get the work experience assessed.

I would do IELTS asap to ensure you get the required score and to make sure you have sufficient time should you need to result.

You will need work references as well as tax documents etc - otherwise you are not demonstrating how you meet the skill level required. If you cannot get a work reference etc you really need to engage a professional to review what options are available to you.

You need to complete all of above before June 30th if you wish to lodge under existing visa program.

Liz

Any one know what the current processing time for a 175 and a 176 in WA is?

Hello,

Here is the official word from Immigration - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm. Note I am seeing SC176 applications finalised within a few weeks from lodgement.

Liz

LizOHagan wrote: »
    Hello Redpaddy

Make sure you have degree/transcript etc and documents certified according to EA guidelines as they are strict....follow the instructions to the letter on all the requirements and also good to get the work experience assessed.

I would do IELTS asap to ensure you get the required score and to make sure you have sufficient time should you need to result.

You will need work references as well as tax documents etc - otherwise you are not demonstrating how you meet the skill level required. If you cannot get a work reference etc you really need to engage a professional to review what options are available to you.

You need to complete all of above before June 30th if you wish to lodge under existing visa program.

Liz

Thanks so much Liz.

Just realized that if I get 8 in IELTS I will have sufficient points without needing to claim for work exp.

So two questions:

1) is that the case, can I simply get my degree assessed only and leave complication of work exp as I'm not claiming points on that. Under the Washington Acc my degree seems to be assessed fairly fast (4wks).

2) how hard is the IELTS to score 8. With a bit of preparation should it be easy for a fluent English speaker to get 8 or above?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Immanuel_CAN

So nobody can give me any indication in regard to my query?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So nobody can give me any indication in regard to my query?
    I'm not aware of any practical assessment. What exactly are you rdfering to.
    Without qualifications, it would be difficult to get your skills assessed. But I believe they will consider experience as part of an assessment. As to weather you have enough experience, that depends on the body that assesses your occupation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Immanuel_CAN

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any practical assessment. What exactly are you rdfering to.
    Without qualifications, it would be difficult to get your skills assessed. But I believe they will consider experience as part of an assessment. As to weather you have enough experience, that depends on the body that assesses your occupation.

Thank you for the reply Mellor.
    There is a practical assessment done through Vetassess, I have been involved in the building of houses and extensions for over 5 years, I completed phase 2 of the bricklaying apprenticeship in FAS and got distinctions in theory and practical. But didn't complete the apprenticeship due to pressure from my employer to remain on site.

I did remain on site and over the years would have developed my skills to be at least as good as a Bricky with papers, if not better than most I came across.

I was wondering is it possible to emigrate without finishing the FAS based apprenticeship if I could demonstrate my ability through the vetassess path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Just beaware Bricklayer has been flagged as possibly been removed from the Skilled Occupation list.

http://www.skillsaustralia.gov.au/labour-market-information/skilled-occupation-list/flagged-occupations/flagged-occupations.html

There is a practical assessment done through Vetassess,
    I thought it might have been vetassess. I'd just send them an email outlining what you've said here. They deal m

There is a practical assessment done through Vetassess,
    I thought it might have been vetassess. I'd just send them an email outlining what you've said here. They deal mOstly with tradies and people in on the job occupations do I imagine they'll be used to these situations

Does anyone know if requesting the Assessing Authority (in my case Eng Australia) to carry out Additional Assessment Services (ie assessment of work exp for points) increases the turnaround time.

Currently Eng Australia say they can assess qualifications in 4wks under the Washington accord. I wonder if asking them to assess points will increase this.

If score 8 under IELTS I should have enough points so as not to need work exp assessed but it might be a risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

A query about the 175 176 visa skilled work experience. It says that you get points for 3 years experience overseas and 1 year in Austalia. What if you have 2.5 years over seas and 6 months in Australia. Canu you then claim for 3 years overseas experience. How is this experience verified? Is it just employer records or letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 magh

Hey,
    Wonder if anybody can help me, I am moving to Australia (WA) with my partner and daughter and Ive done a good bit or research but Im not sure which visa we should apply for!

He's a plumber and I'm an occupational therapist. We would love to go as temp business (457) as immi emmigration officer said this visa costs only $270, whereas if we go under GSM visa 175 its about $3000 and takes ages, but it seems hard to get any sponsorship for the 457?! Anyone any advise?

Anyone any notion how long the Visa 175 GSM really takes?

Also i saw we can apply for regional sponsorship from western australia and this visa (176) seems to be processed a lot more quickly than the 175 from what I hear. Anyone know if this is hard to get or def a route to take?

My partner went on to do the skills assessment with Vetassess, its looks mad expensive with $600 initial fee online, followed on by another $2000 because of the practical and interview in the UK. Is this right?? and can it only be done in the UK by Vetassess?

Sorry for all the questions! All our friends etc are gone on working hol visas so noone can realy advise us. I would appreciate any advise at all or even where to look, as Im gone cracked looking for the right route to take!!! Thanks muchsmile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Wait till someone fills you in on the new invite after assessment rule. In short after July you submit a skills assessment and wait to be invited to apply for migration but that is for a 175 I think. The 175 is by far the best visa to arrive on. But the wait can be over a year.

Thanks Zambia. I heard about the changes in July and realise this is a game of chance! So should we really try to get Visa in before July deadline or do you feel its a bit late to supply everything? Thanks also for advise re: best option probably being 175.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

magh wrote: »
    Hey,
    Wonder if anybody can help me, I am moving to Australia (WA) with my partner and daughter and Ive done a good bit or research but Im not sure which visa we should apply for!

He's a plumber and I'm an occupational therapist. We would love to go as temp business (457) as immi emmigration officer said this visa costs only $270, whereas if we go under GSM visa 175 its about $3000 and takes ages, but it seems hard to get any sponsorship for the 457?! Anyone any advise?

Anyone any notion how long the Visa 175 GSM really takes?

Also i saw we can apply for regional sponsorship from western australia and this visa (176) seems to be processed a lot more quickly than the 175 from what I hear. Anyone know if this is hard to get or def a route to take?

My partner went on to do the skills assessment with Vetassess, its looks mad expensive with $600 initial fee online, followed on by another $2000 because of the practical and interview in the UK. Is this right?? and can it only be done in the UK by Vetassess?

Sorry for all the questions! All our friends etc are gone on working hol visas so noone can realy advise us. I would appreciate any advise at all or even where to look, as Im gone cracked looking for the right route to take!!! Thanks muchsmile.gif

Here's the deal

Your $350 (€270) 457 is not migration its only a basic temporary work permit, you are not entitled to Medicare or any family allowance/Benefits or anything like that.

If you husband Partner is sponsored on a 457 and he lost his job or the employer went bust then unless he was able to secure sponsorship with another employer within 28 days the whole family will have to leave the country. You are there to do a job and if that falls through so does your right to live in Australia. A 457 is not even a guarantee to become a PR but is an indirect route, you still basically need to meet the same criteria on a 457 as you do sitting at home in Ireland.

Your €3000-€8000 Migration visa is like it says on the tin... Migration, you have basically have the same rights as an Australian you can work for who ever you want or work self employed, medicare, school fees, family benefits etc.

The old... you get what you pay for etc

Mandrake has given you a good summary.

The time frame would be tight. But not impossible depends on how long it takes you to get skills assessed.

Ask anyone who has done it, migration is a pain in the rear to do

Thanks so much for the advise.
    Taken all things on board we are going to abandon 457 as we just dont have the time and its doesnt sound very secure long term. The company we are thinking of going with advised that my partner can do a skills assessment in ireland in June, this sounds last minute for July deadline!! Do ye reckon this will be too late?!
    If we are investing time and money on this and subsequently are too late for July does anyone know if we will lose our money or will it basicly carry over to post July conditions (ie if we are too loate but are lucky enough to receive an invitation could we just continue with our visa at that stage or would it be a case of start again?!)
    Really helpful chat, thanks!!

Yes July would be tight

No you should not lose your money as you submit the skills assessment with the visa application. If you never get invited or refused you of course lose that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnkerry

Hi,

I just have a question, I don't know if anyone will be able to answer it for me but I'll put it out there anyway. I plan on applying for skilled migration to Australia in October. (that's when I will have worked the required 12 months in the last 24 in my skilled occupation).
    I was previously on working holiday visa program for two years, 2007-09. I never did the regional work to get the 2nd year. I just met someone in a hostel who had done regional work. They supplied me with the farmers ABN number and address that they had worked for. I gave it a shot and it worked out!
    Does any one know this could cause problems for a skilled migration application. I'm aware that the will be looking for all my addresses and employers from the last 10 years. Will they have that sort of thing kept on record or should I just keep quiet and let on I cant remember the information?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Congratulations you scored a second year by fraud however nobody can answer your question.

Basically because nobody works for DIAC.

Your just going to have to either risk they don't or not apply.

Advertisement