Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Greenpilot, I posted a bit about buying a Defender further up this thread. Sounds like you want a 110 hard top but what you can get depends on your budget, give us an idea and we can advise. Yoi]u may want to consider a Discovery commercial as well. With either, you'll be buying on condition, not age.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

While on the move to work I had a blowout. I steered safety over to the hard-shoulder and tried self-recovery.

Out came the 2 tonne jack I’d bought from Halfords but no dice. It wasn’t big enough and kept slipping off the lifting point. It’d be too dangerous to continue with that.

I called out recovery and learned my lesson, next time I’d have to get a bigger jack.
    My tyres were pretty worn too and I vowed to get a full set of new tyres.
    So once at the nearest tyre place I got myself some all-singing, all-dancing ‘Grabber’ All terrain tyres.
    Although it wasn’t the tyre wear that caused the blowout I learned that it was from running over a roofing bolt. These, I’m told by the mechy, are the leading cause of blowouts on the motorways.

Here’s one of the new tyres.

P1050224.jpg

The spare tyre mounted on the bonnet is the real deal, a proper one and not a space saver either.

Now a bit of a niggle with Defenders is that they are prone to leakage. Mine was no exception. On the inside of the passenger door and the drivers side along with the cargo door it leaked. Drip, drip everytime it rained hard.

If you left the vent flaps open and it rained there’d be leaks from their too but closing them prevented that.
    It was time to fix the leaks.
    The drivers side leak I fixed by treating the metalwork where the rubber weather seal joined with some rust eater and touch-up paint.
    The roof was where the real work was needed though and I needed something to match the white roof.

P1050230.jpg

My local mechy Tom advised me that the best stuff was the window sealant used by double glazing firms. Car accessory places also supplied it.
    After a few sagas I sourced some of the stuff – Tiger Seal!

P1050468.jpg

I was warned not to tarry when applying it. Once it the stuff dries, it grips like a tiger and there’s no going back.

Well I attached the grease gun frame and it didn’t work. Not good as it means I’ve no way of applying the sealent to the roof seam 
    In the end I just cut the neck off and stuck a big ole thin rod in and pulled it out. Then with some rubber gloves on I just finger applied it into the groove.
    Took a while let me tell you but after about an hour I’d just managed to get both sides plus the cross groove done when the stuff set hard!
    No leaks from the roof now, just a little bit from the door seal near the ground. But that’s nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

My La(n)dy

4259540803_7085ac1869.jpg

Nice job, Tiger Seal certainly sticks like sh!te to a blanket! Those tubes have a funny seal at the push end, takes a fair bit of force to break it but once it's broken they work ok.

The water will of course find another way in! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

02AECF49252D4C579122D08B14EC7B93-800.jpg

My defender :p

1993 200tdi.

In my opinion there hasnt been a better diesel fitted to a defender yet :D

Recently upgraded the all the rubber bushings to polybushes, they make a huge difference. Much better handling on the road.

And it now has some big scorpions with the wolf alloys, very cool :cool:

Will post some other pics up later as im on the lappy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

you can brag when you have an offender....4,0 v8 hybrid. TBH 9mpg was for the birds and sold it on. Looking at a td5 commercial...being a second car I can it it for peanuts on comm insurance so...........very fond of the landys.....not as daily though

Landyman,

Is the 300 TDI not better than the 200?!
    Thoughts appreciated...

There both very similar engines spec wise, performance wise and reliability wise. However the 200tdi is a little noiser and a little less refined then the 300 but i always found the 200 tdi to have a little more grunt the 300.

Mechanically ther quite different engines with only a few interchangeable parts between the engines. The cambelt was different on the 300 and all the auxilary belts were replaced with a single serpentine belt. The injectors and fuel pump are different too.

Both engines are very diy friendly, with no electronics in the 200tdi engine whatsoever. The 300tdi had an ecu by 98 (i think) and a fly by wire throttle system, however its still a very diy engine.

I thought it was only discos that had fly by wire throttle? If there's an ecu on a Defender 300Tdi it's for th EGR valve which is best chucked in the skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

101sean wrote: »
    Greenpilot, I posted a bit about buying a Defender further up this thread. Sounds like you want a 110 hard top but what you can get depends on your budget, give us an idea and we can advise. Yoi]u may want to consider a Discovery commercial as well. With either, you'll be buying on condition, not age.

Hi,

It would have to be a defender 110 about 4-5000 euro. as long is the engine is good, the rest I can manage myself.

Thanks, Paul

• Advertisement

Should get you a fairly good 300Tdi for that or a scruffy Td5. Look at the Ireland section of the Landroveraddicts forum, ocassionaly some for sale on there. Otherwise keep trawling the trade mags and websites, sometimes there are real bargains there.

I thought it was only discos that had fly by wire throttle? If there's an ecu on a Defender 300Tdi it's for th EGR valve which is best chucked in the skip.

Maybe it was...

We had a blue 97 disco a few years ago that im sure it didnt have a cable
    throttle....

Though I'd personally have a 300tdi over the td5 as its so easy to work on :)

I really don't want anything ecu wise on my landy.
    Will look into that.

You can get kits on ebay to do away with EGRs on most vehicles. Improves breathing slightly and can't be picked up on NCT/DOE. Seems a pretty dum idea feeding dirty exhaust back in to inlet manifold just to drop NOx levels slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

heres my landy 2004 Td5 wheels are free style tyres are insa turbo special track 265/75/16 took the tyres off and put on 235/85/16 BF MT km2 as the insas were catching on full lock

SL370448.jpg

Nice 90.

265/75s are a standard Defender size, just need to adjust the steering stops but you'll lose turning circle. 235/85s are same diameter though, just not as wide. I have 255/85 R16 BFG MTs on mine with 30mm spacers to keep a decent turning circle. If you don't like spacers, wolf rims have as much offset, just aren't as bling :D

Nice 90.

265/75s are a standard Defender size, just need to adjust the steering stops but you'll lose turning circle. 235/85s are same diameter though, just not as wide. I have 255/85 R16 BFG MTs on mine with 30mm spacers to keep a decent turning circle. If you don't like spacers, wolf rims have as much offset, just aren't as bling :D

Wolf rims are as cool as they get :P

You can get kits on ebay to do away with EGRs on most vehicles. Improves breathing slightly and can't be picked up on NCT/DOE. Seems a pretty dum idea feeding dirty exhaust back in to inlet manifold just to drop NOx levels slightly.

blame the EU. sure they killed off the 200tdi, the 300tdi and finally there killing of the defender itself :mad: baahhh im never voting pro europe again

Wolf rims are as cool as they get

especially in black :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I've a late '98 300 TDi Disco....mechanical throttle all the way - No ECU.

• Advertisement

The good news is removing or destroying the EGR ECU does not affect the landrovers performance or operation. At least that's what the landrover guru's on another forum say...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

2 things that should be removed on a land rover is the EGR valve and the Cat , the egr is chocking your engine and the cat is holding it back

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

If being a 4x4 driver wasnt bad enough a statement like that is really going to get you on John Gormless and the cabbage squads hitlist:D

:D

Latest Update:

When you have a tyre mounted on the bonnet (or hood as you would call it) the remote release mechanism struggles. Mine previously wouldn't even work without someone to lift the bonnet up while I pulled the lever. This obviously wasn't ideal and I managed to come up with something that could help :)

While at work though I found a tough looking carriage spring and welded it onto a plate. I bolted that in here....

The spring splate wasn't ideal though; too many rings were on it and the main spring catch wasn’t engaging.

P1050305-1.jpg

Out came garth’s grinder and it was not one, not two but three rings of the spring plate sheared off before the bonnet would close. The grinders disc went through the rings with ease despite being stainless.

P1050309-1.jpg

Then the moment of truth. I pulled the release lever...

One resounding ‘klung’ later and it popped open!

P1050304-1.jpg

I trimmed the release catch with some tin-snips and wrapped some tapeit. This prevented it from catching on the spring:
    P1050307-1.jpg

The grills went on today. They came with no instructions and were just over £60. I need to get this right with the drill otherwise my lannie will look like swiss cheese on the front end.

But it wasn’t that straightforward. Drilling and getting the holes right was more of an art than a science, especially when there’s zero in the way of instructions for drill bit sizes. Rule of thumb cometh...

P1050299-1.jpg

The rubber grommet fittings were not simple and needed a bit of modification.
    Some tape on this one to make it flush with the hole.

P1050351.jpg

The self taping screws were to be put through thin metal. For wood this might suffice but a vibrating surface such as a veh has the potential for unscrewing. On a lannie even more so.Hence the bolts and locking nuts.

P1050352.jpg

P1050355.jpg

Mission accomplished! :)

Coming along nicely.

Make sure the bonnet is securely propped when up, hurts if it drops on the back of your head ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

savage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Ive only started looking into defenders as i would really like one, but i need extra seating, i came across this and it looks savage.
    No1 what are their faults and failings
    No2 what kinda bread would i need to part with to get me one of these(id be lookin pretty much identical to this one)
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1016022

All opinions gratefully recieved

UK price on that would be 14-15k, say €18k here with the VRT etc, it's had a lot of money thrown at it but doesn't make that much difference to value. If not registered as a commercial it will cost €948 a year to tax. 110 DCs have only been around for 10 years or so, other option with seats is a Station Wagon like I have.

How much are you looking to spend? That will determine age and engine you're likely to be looking at. Rather than listing everything to look for, narrow down the choice first. Whatever, you'll be buying on condition not age. Best buys are probably 95-98 300Tdi (€4-7k, no double cabs though) or a post 02 Td5 (€10k +).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Well im currently driving on 03 L200 i just like crew cabs and that one really caught my eye, yes it would need to be taxed commercial, i dont often carry passengers but like to have the option but couldnt justify paying more than the 288 or whatever me commecial tax is !
    But feck me 18k is a lot for an 04 wagon of any kind but i suppose its a buyers market

Advertisement