Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread 2013

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can you claim your tax back as soon as you leave Australia, or do you have to wait until your visa expires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Kiith wrote: »
    Can you claim your tax back as soon as you leave Australia, or do you have to wait until your visa expires?
    A friend finished his 457 and had his full refund including super within two weeks of finishing work. He transfered onto a holiday visa. He's gone site seeing now.
    Get onto the ATO for more answers.

Cheers, will do.

I'll call the ATO tomorrow, but can someone tell me if, assuming I worked for 5-6 months of the year, I'll get back whatever tax I paid, minus 31%? By the time I leave I'll have paid about 9k in tax this financial year, and I'm just trying to figure out how much I'll get back so I can plan a NZ trip in January (once my visa runs out).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

When I go home will I be able to claim my tax back or will I have to wait until the end of the tax year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

ben10afc wrote: »
    When I go home will I be able to claim my tax back or will I have to wait until the end of the tax year?

If you are leaving and not coming back, you can claim it straight away. However if you plan on coming back on any other work visa (including a 457 visa) you shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

can I claim back my tax now while in oz while travelling and get work again 1 or 2 months later.

You can only claim if you're not going to be getting an income again (afaik).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Louis Plump Write-off

I left Australia in September and my visa expires this January but it seems according to the ATO that if I want to claim my tax back prior to the end of the tax year I will have to supply evidence of my visa expiry in the form of photocopied documentation (signed by an official). It's a hell of a lot of hassle dealing with it from Ireland, and the same is also required of me for the superannuation too.

I went through the ATO's e-tax for my previous tax returns but the hassle involved this time around is pushing me towardsa third party company, as I'm hoping they have a much more streamlined tax+super refund option.

So has anyone used a company to get their tax+super refund after their visa expired? If so, how much was it for both.

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

Got my medicare certs for the last 2 years in the post in the past couple of days

Can you use e-tax when lodging an early tax return, or does it have to be paper based?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Louis Plump Write-off

Kiith wrote: »
    Can you use e-tax when lodging an early tax return, or does it have to be paper based?
    Yes it has to be paper based. I rang them with the question of whether I had to provide any evidence of my visa expiration (like for your super withdrawal) and they didn't seem to be aware of anything like that.

This link is a little better than the ATO's page on the same:

http://australia.gov.au/service/tax-leaving-australia-lodging-your-tax-return

Is there more chance of being asked to provide a medicare exemption form when claiming my tax back after i leave Oz?

I (stupidly) never sent off the form, and didn't get asked for it when claiming my tax back in July. I was going to send it this week, but it probably won't get processed till after Christmas, and i wanted to get my tax forms off as soon as possible. If they decide to request it, do they just put your tax return on hold till they get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Random question.
    I arrived in August so for 2 tax years ending 2013 & 2014 I'll be classed as resident. But if I work to August and leave does my residency status carry over or is a blank slate so I'd only be in the country 6 weeks for 2015 tax year which means I wouldn't qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Hey guys, I didn’t want to set up a new thread so just posting here. Has anybody ever went home for good then claimed an early tax back? I did and filled out a paper form, they received the form on 3rd March and told me it takes a max of 10 weeks to get your tax back. They said that it usually never takes that long and is processed before the 10weeks. However, it’s been 9 weeks and I still haven’t heard anything back. How long did it take you guys to receive your early tax return when filling it out by paper.

I got mine 3-4 weeks after leaving Oz. Sent it in just before Christmas, and i got it 3 weeks after they re-opened in the new year. Definitely didn't take anywhere near 10 weeks. I'd give them a call to find out what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

Hi all,

I got my PR last month (April) I was on a 457 prior to that. I am just wondering do I need to claim the Medicare exemption for the 9 months of this tax year? Also now that I am a resident will my tax change in any way? I used get a nice little nest egg in tax back previously so just wondering if that will change now?
    Thanks...

niva*sis wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got my PR last month (April) I was on a 457 prior to that. I am just wondering do I need to claim the Medicare exemption for the 9 months of this tax year? Also now that I am a resident will my tax change in any way? I used get a nice little nest egg in tax back previously so just wondering if that will change now?
    Thanks...

You can only claim a Medicare exemption to the day you LODGED your PR application. Technically you've been entitled to Medicare (even if you didnt know or use it) since that day so you can't claim the levy back.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

Batgurl wrote: »
    You can only claim a Medicare exemption to the day you LODGED your PR application. Technically you've been entitled to Medicare (even if you didnt know or use it) since that day so you can't claim the levy back.

Hi Batgurl

Thanks for that, any idea why it would be from the date you lodged? I lodged mine on the 2/12/2014 and was granted it on 01/04/2015 but during that time I still did not have Medicare for doctors, dentists etc. (im from the ROI)
    Thanks.

Hi Batgurl

Thanks for that, any idea why it would be from the date you lodged? I lodged mine on the 2/12/2014 and was granted it on 01/04/2015 but during that time I still did not have Medicare for doctors, dentists etc. (im from the ROI)
    Thanks.

Unfortunately you actually did. If you had gone into Medicare with your PR lodgement receipt, they would have issued you a temporary Medicare card.

Side note-Medicare doesn't cover dental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Hi Batgurl

Thanks.

Because you qualify for Medicare from the day you lodge your PR application. Whether you actually use it or not is moot. They apply the levy based on eligibility only.

In similar circumstance myself but had private cover so should get it all back anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jackbhoy wrote: »
    In similar circumstance myself but had private cover so should get it all back anyway.
    I don't think that's correct.

You still pay medicare if you have insurance. You are probably thinking of the surchange, where you pay 1-1.5% extra if you earn over 88K

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

Can someone please recommend an accountant in Sydney? Came to Australia in June and have worked from day one. Need an accountant to do my first year tax return.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct.

You still pay medicare if you have insurance. You are probably thinking of the surchange, where you pay 1-1.5% extra if you earn over 88K

Yep, you are right.

I have been exempt from Medicare until this year so haven't had to worry about it in previous tax returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

Does anyone know a good accountant that's cheap and charges a flat rate instead of a percentage. I was there on working holiday visa last year. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38,920 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eimear10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good accountant that's cheap and charges a flat rate instead of a percentage. I was there on working holiday visa last year. Thanks
    Any accountant I've use has charged a flat rate. $100-160 from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Doing my own tax return on the ato website. Everything seems simple enough, not claiming for any deductions etc.

On the medicare exemption bit, do I enter 365 days at 2% if I haven't been in Australia for the full year? I notice if I put in the correct number of days the amount I'm owed decreases.

Can any problems arise if I lodge the tax return before getting back the exemption certificate? I'm leaving Australia next week.

How many days were you eligible to claim it?

That's what your cert will say. Last year nearly everyone I know got asked to produce the exemption cert before the return was processed. It's easier to do in au so I'd just do it before you go.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Doing my own tax return on the ato website. Everything seems simple enough, not claiming for any deductions etc.

On the medicare exemption bit, do I enter 365 days at 2% if I haven't been in Australia for the full year? I notice if I put in the correct number of days the amount I'm owed decreases.

Can any problems arise if I lodge the tax return before getting back the exemption certificate? I'm leaving Australia next week.

As Batgurl said you just claim for the number of days you were eligible for.
    If this is your first tax return I'm pretty sure you won't be able to do it online unless they've changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

aido79 wrote: »
    As Batgurl said you just claim for the number of days you were eligible for.
    If this is your first tax return I'm pretty sure you won't be able to do it online unless they've changed it.

Eligilbe for the full year but only spent 8 months of that in australia. If that even makes sense.

What's their definition of eligible? Do you need to be in the country to be eligible?

I could lodge it now if i want. No mention of first timers not being allowed so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Eligilbe for the full year but only spent 8 months of that in australia. If that even makes sense.

What's their definition of eligible? Do you need to be in the country to be eligible?

I could lodge it now if i want. No mention of first timers not being allowed so far.

To be eligible you would need to either have applied for PR or have PR or citizenship. You can only be ineligible in your case for the time you spent in Australia.

They may have changed it so. I thought I read before that you couldn't do the first one online.

Advertisement