Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

07 / 08 Santa Fe OR ????

• 14-05-2015 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking for a 7 seater for number of reasons but primarily due to a 3 growing boys & a dog but also because We have just purchased a 5 Berth caravan & need some good & reliable to tow it.

I'm really liking the Santa Fe's but how are they rated?

We are only interested in driving an Automatic!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

What sort of weight is a 5 berth caravan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

The sorento is Highly regarded and has a towing capacity almost as good as a full size suv/4x4. Not gone on the sante fe since I learned they have common engine failure and it's quite expensive to rebuild and a replacement is very very hard got. You could be lucky but why take that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Forgot to add, might be worth putting this over on the motoring section too. Much more alive and some good advice to be had ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Your towing capacity is all important here, for a 5 berth caravan I'd imagine you're looking at about 1300kg all in but I'd want a vehicle with a rating a decent but higher than that. You don't want the tow car to be pulling its max limit all of the time.

Seven seats means bigger in most cases, but do you need 4x4? Thousands of Dutch and French holidaymakers tow hundreds of miles with MPVs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Your towing capacity is all important here, for a 5 berth caravan I'd imagine you're looking at about 1300kg all in but I'd want a vehicle with a rating a decent but higher than that. You don't want the tow car to be pulling its max limit all of the time.

They were saying on the motoring forum a 1.4 petrol golf can tow 1700kg legally so it should pull that at its leisure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The OP wants 7 seats. I'd be cautious about putting such a big 'van behind a golf for a long journey, but it can be done. Sharan or similar would be a decent option

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dvmanley

Definitely NOT a Santa Fe .... It's reliability is pure bull, and if your going to be pulling its really going to take its tole big time !

The only 4x4 7 seater on the used market that's reliable and actually makes sense when you have a family is the Volvo xc90. The extra 300 euro in tax every year compared to the Santa Fe or any other 2ltr diesel will be nothing compared to the saving in running costs that the Volvo will give you. I've had one for a few years and I have to say it's been he best ownership of any vehicle we've had. Zero problems 150k miles and it still drives like new. We get 37mpg on average and it's so much better than land rovers equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Take a look at the Nissan Terrano - very underated. Its a 7 seater -, 1980 KG unladen - (just weighed mine). The 2.7 diesel engine (up till 2005) is legendary realibility - timing gears no belt or chain. Same engine in the black London taxi cabs - up to 500k recorded. Mine is Auto as well - a pleasure to drive. They can also be converted to Crew Cab, 330 Tax/Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

dvmanley wrote: »
    Definitely NOT a Santa Fe .... It's reliability is pure bull, and if your going to be pulling its really going to take its tole big time !

The only 4x4 7 seater on the used market that's reliable and actually makes sense when you have a family is the Volvo xc90. The extra 300 euro in tax every year compared to the Santa Fe or any other 2ltr diesel will be nothing compared to the saving in running costs that the Volvo will give you. I've had one for a few years and I have to say it's been he best ownership of any vehicle we've had. Zero problems 150k miles and it still drives like new. We get 37mpg on average and it's so much better than land rovers equivalent.

ARE YOU TALKING THE D5 DIESEL HERE ARE THEY THAT EASY ON FUEL

coyle21 wrote: »
    ARE YOU TALKING THE D5 DIESEL HERE ARE THEY THAT EASY ON FUEL

37mpg is easy on fuel in my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

dvmanley wrote: »
    37mpg is easy on fuel in my eyes

ok is that auto or manual

coyle21 wrote: »
    ok is that auto or manual

Auto :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Take a look at the Nissan Terrano - very underated. Its a 7 seater -, 1980 KG unladen - (just weighed mine). The 2.7 diesel engine (up till 2005) is legendary realibility - timing gears no belt or chain. Same engine in the black London taxi cabs - up to 500k recorded. Mine is Auto as well - a pleasure to drive. They can also be converted to Crew Cab, 330 Tax/Year.

What mpg you getting from here

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

havnt tried it properly but somewhere between 25-30 mpg I reckon.

We get 34/35 out of our 07 dmax,a tank of diesel lasts a week basically,tenner a day oul boy does a lot of driving and will pull trailers a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

IH784man wrote: »
    We get 34/35 out of our 07 dmax,a tank of diesel lasts a week basically,tenner a day oul boy does a lot of driving and will pull trailers a few times a week.

Getting 33 from an 06. Have to say they are a very underrated truck about here altogether. Economical, ultra reliable and a lot more comfy than an equivalent L200, ranger or navara imo.

Yea have to say a good machine alright,we have the lowest spec model about though,uncles l200 is a nice machine it's an 08 his last l200 was a 02,some difference in the two

Advertisement