Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Mate of mine years ago used to have the odd Gulp of anyones beer who was at the table. His number was up when he was seen on numerous occasions over a 2 week period doing this and he was confronted by us all
    lol Scab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    my father used to turn off the car and roll down hills to save petrol ..... God the embarrasment! :o

I know a few that used to do this years ago. Don't quite see the point of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My father is the opposite of stingy and I see people take advantage of that too often. Especially as, when he drops us home, he could be making money from the public.

I have one aunt that thinks that he will not mind being the designated driver to all family occasions, just because he drives for a living.

Yep. I know the type. A good friend of mine is a taxi driver with a HUGE family. He had to stop taking his lovely BMW taxi to family events, and take his wife's Mini Cooper instead. It has two child car seats in the back, so they can not give lifts to people. Relations would be invited to family events and would winge that that couldn't come because their car was in the garage & they couldn't afford a taxi. His mammy and sisters would say "no problem, Jimmy will come and get you and drop you home." This would happen several times per event. He'd spend more time in his car ferrying people around than he would actually at the wedding/birthday party/christening etc etc. Never offered a penny for his trouble or for petrol.

Eventually he said "screw it" and he hatched the Mini Cooper plan. People would then come up to him at family events and tell him in accusatory tones that they had to drive there themselves, or how much they had to pay for a taxi to get there, as if was his fault. The car in the garage stories were rubbish. They just didn't want to take their own cars so that they could drink at the events, without having to pay for a taxi. Stingy fcukers ! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep. I know the type. A good friend of mine is a taxi driver with a HUGE family. He had to stop taking his lovely BMW taxi to family events, and take his wife's Mini Cooper instead. It has two child car seats in the back, so they can not give lifts to people. Relations would be invited to family events and would winge that that couldn't come because their car was in the garage & they couldn't afford a taxi. His mammy and sisters would say "no problem, Jimmy will come and get you and drop you home." This would happen several times per event. He'd spend more time in his car ferrying people around than he would actually at the wedding/birthday party/christening etc etc. Never offered a penny for his trouble or for petrol.

Eventually he said "screw it" and he hatched the Mini Cooper plan. People would then come up to him at family events and tell him in accusatory tones that they had to drive there themselves, or how much they had to pay for a taxi to get there, as if was his fault. The car in the garage stories were rubbish. They just didn't want to take their own cars so that they could drink at the events, without having to pay for a taxi. Stingy fcukers ! :mad:

when I posted my post about my oh and giving the lift thing I was surprised that another poster on here couldnt see why i was annoyed about what my former friends dad did. What I didnt mention in my other post was that my oh was also a taxi driver at the time and had stoppped work to give us a lift!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

Working in a bar last year I was asked for a pint of Smithwicks by an American tourist. He then asked for five whisky glasses and thinking he was going to sample some Irish whisky, I lined them up for him. He proceeded to split the pint 5 ways amongst himself and 4 pals. Small country pub, the locals spat beer everywhere trying not to laugh in their faces!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

birdlake wrote: »
    Working in a bar last year I was asked for a pint of Smithwicks by an American tourist. He then asked for five whisky glasses and thinking he was going to sample some Irish whisky, I lined them up for him. He proceeded to split the pint 5 ways amongst himself and 4 pals. Small country pub, the locals spat beer everywhere trying not to laugh in their faces!!

Strange for an American of my acquaintance but they are a diverse bunch. My cousins from Boston always tip the bartenders like money was going out of fashion (and make Irish bar tenders happy). I guess that's what they are used to doing in the USA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Got a lift to the airport with a mate a few years back. He was going there anyway and my house was on his route. He loaded up the car with 5 people and took a tenner off each of us. The parking for two nights was 15 euro so covered that and made 15 euro for himself (he didn't charge his girlfriend). We could have just as easily got a taxi between us for cheaper than that. I ended up getting the bus back from the airport.

Another night we ordered in a 16 inch pizza between a few of us - it was only 3 euro each but he said it was too expensive. When the pizza arrived he scoffed about twice as many slices as any one else. I wouldnt mind but the guy saves every penny he has, has plenty of cash and his family are minted too. It's one thing being stingy to yourself which is kinda funny, but it's another thing actively trying to rip off your own mates.

Another mate of mine turned off his freezer during the freeze two years ago. He put his frozen food in a black bin bag and left it outside the back door of his house. That same mate never buys toilet roll either - he just jumps in the shower and rinses himself down after taking a barry white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Motorist wrote: »
    That same mate never buys toilet roll either - he just jumps in the shower and rinses himself down after taking a barry white.
    That turned my stomach!
    And he told you this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

That turned my stomach!
    And he told you this?

Surely hes cleaner though. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Yeah but he also told me he pissed on my toothbrush 3 months after doing it. Hes a bit out there to say the least.
    Does he stick pins in your condoms too?
    I would ditch this disgusting weirdo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Quazzie wrote: »
    Try tax, insure and test a car, whilst constantly being raped by the Government for putting petrol into it, before you call others stingey to be fair.

That is the stingiest thing I've heard a stingy person say

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

That same mate never buys toilet roll either - he just jumps in the shower and rinses himself down after taking a barry white.

If you don't mind me asking, what were this guys living arrangements, alone, sharing?
    If he is living alone, do his guests(if any) have to do the same if they have a crap at his place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Kolido wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what were this guys living arrangements, alone, sharing?
    If he is living alone, do his guests(if any) have to do the same if they have a crap at his place?

:D

I can see it now... 'going around to Joe's place - wallet... check, beers.... check, loo roll... check....'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

birdlake wrote: »

Saw 3 French Tourists do this once in the local. Took up a prime seat near the fire and beside musicians one night. Spent about half an hour taking coats off, arranging seats general noise making whilst musicians were playing then one comes to the bar, orders a pint of Guinness and brings it back to table. They each took turns taking a sip out of it. What annoyed me more was they took out books and started reading ignoring the musicians who the majority were there to see. Took them a hour to drink the Guinness which I can only assume was by then warm and half made up of backwash.

Thankfully the barman basically told them to fúck off when they tried to order another pint. Bord Failte be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Plazaman wrote: »

Thankfully the barman basically told them to fúck off when they tried to order another pint. Bord Failte be damned.

Ah, good old Irish hospitality. If we can't money off you then you're not welcome here. :rolleyes:

Pretty stingey if you ask me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Ah, good old Irish hospitality. If we can't money off you then you're not welcome here. :rolleyes:

I suppose it comes down to the argument that a pub is a business and they are more than welcome to sit in the park

I suppose it comes down to the argument that a pub is a business and they are more than welcome to sit in the park

Pub is short for public house. I know its a business too, but we used to be a nation that welcomed guests with open arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Pub is short for public house. I know its a business too, but we used to be a nation that welcomed guests with open arms.

Public house does not mean free house. It differentiates the premises from a private members club

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Saw 3 French Tourists do this once in the local. Took up a prime seat near the fire and beside musicians one night. Spent about half an hour taking coats off, arranging seats general noise making whilst musicians were playing then one comes to the bar, orders a pint of Guinness and brings it back to table. They each took turns taking a sip out of it. What annoyed me more was they took out books and started reading ignoring the musicians who the majority were there to see. Took them a hour to drink the Guinness which I can only assume was by then warm and half made up of backwash.

If I was that barman I'd have done the exact same I'd say!

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Give it a rest.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Disgraceful behaviour by the barman, doesn't he realise that a strong tourist sector is important to our economic recovery, one can only imagine the damage to our...

What's that?

They were French?

Oh well, **** them so - carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Just to even up the score. Myself and a friend were in France a few years ago. We were starving and I was dying for the bathroom so we decided to kill two birds with one stone and found a cafe. The first thing I did was use the bathroom. When I came out, what I presume was the owner came over ranting and raving about how I shouldn't be using their bathroom and it wasn't a public toilet. Tried to explain that we were going to order something but he was having none of it and kicked us out. Was mortifying being yelled at with everyone in the restaurant watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

The night Ireland played France in the World Cup play off and Thierry handled the ball etc I was watching the game in Messrs, and there were 4 French people sitting around of table sharing a large bottle of Evian water they had brought in themselves. They left quite quickly after the handball and the abuse that was directed at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dyawannagoonme

Errrmm, For Halloween one year my uncle gave my neighbour half a digestive biscuit....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

That story a few pages back about the American lad with the massive jug of water is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. It's beautifully written and told with total integrity. Awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    That story a few pages back about the American lad with the massive jug of water is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. It's beautifully written and told with total integrity. Awesome stuff.

probably a 500ml bottle, typical american's over exaggerating things.

joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

batistuta9 wrote: »
    probably a 500ml bottle, typical american's over exaggerating things.

joke

Naw, they haven't gone metric yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Yeah but he also told me he pissed on my toothbrush 3 months after doing it. Hes a bit out there to say the least.

Ahhhhhhhh.......Mates!

Where would you be without them? Your mouth smells of p1ss but at least your not lonely. :confused::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Merch wrote: »
    Sounds like she is onto them, cards are a total rip off, (although I feel obligated to get certain ones myself) even if she isn't stuck for a few quid, you should probably think yourself lucky she is thinking of you at all and sending you one, why do you need two cards for?? If your birthday coincides with easter?
    Best card I ever got was one someone made for me, out of stuff they had at hand.

Why does someone even feel obligated to get a card at easter??

No sorry, I ment to say that she got me an easter egg and a happy birthday card for my birthday this year. The easter egg to cover for easter and a birthday card to try and bring the two occasions together. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement