Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Galway to Shannon

• 04-03-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Well,

I have an interview next week in Shannon. I''m originally from Galway though, any one have any thoughts on commuting from Galway to Shannon daily? Would be open to moving to the outskirts but I'm not sure is it a good idea. Anyone doing it or have an opinion? Living in Limerick doesn't appeal if I can avoid it..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

theintern wrote: »
    Well,

I have an interview next week in Shannon. I''m originally from Galway though, any one have any thoughts on commuting from Galway to Shannon daily? Would be open to moving to the outskirts but I'm not sure is it a good idea. Anyone doing it or have an opinion? Living in Limerick doesn't appeal if I can avoid it..

The motorway already goes to gort and work has already started on the next section to galway.

As motorways go it's relatively quiet, so if you are happy with motorway driving it will be a handy spin soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

Takes me 45 minutes to get to the Shannon exit early in the morning from Oranmore, I leave at like 5:30 and there no traffic at all, it's great! It's not a bad drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Fairly handy drive from Galway but if you want to be nearer Shannon but avoid Limerick would you consider living in Ennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭theintern

Good answers here. 45 minutes from Oranmore sounds very doable. Living in Limerick would mean 20 minutes or so anyway, so an extra 25 on top wouldn't be the end of the world. Seems you have to time it right though, I'd say traffic on the road as far as the motorway is probably a pain in the ass at certain time.

Fairly handy drive from Galway but if you want to be nearer Shannon but avoid Limerick would you consider living in Ennis?

Ennis is an option too. I'll probably just bite the bullet and do Limerick if I'm moving out of Galway anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

theintern wrote: »
    Living in Limerick doesn't appeal if I can avoid it..

I know it gets a bad rep but Limerick is actually a nice place to live, and it has a very good road network so commuting wouldn't be that much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you have watched any tv3 documentaries, then it would scare you out of Limerick. Just avoid the obivously dangerous areas and its great.

Edit: Also, would you consider Shannon itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Avoid Limerick for what reason? Ennis or Shannon both far less interesting places to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Are you thinking Limerick city or county?

Nothing against Limerick the city at all, not scared off by its rep or anything like that, it's more a case that upping sticks and I'd rather not move away from friends and family here in Galway that's all. Though getting to know a new place might be good craic too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement