Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback on Guitar lessons

• 05-03-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

Firstly, I am not musical but on the basis of live skills etc am trying to encourage my kids to get involved in music. They are 12 and 9 and we discussed this and they said they were possibly interested in learning the guitar.

I located a local man who teaches children and they have been going for about six months for weekly half hour sessions. They have been doing practice on their own time although they have not taken to do this without being encouraged (made go up and do it)

The teacher sayes she is very happy with them and that they are progressing well. She tells me that although she does do some chords she concentrates on classical guitar playing and playing the guitar from reading music.

My question is if this is the best type of guitar lesson for kids. It does not seem to me that they have made much progress. The songs seem to be slow picking of individual strings change the finger and pick another string. Is the teacher really happy with their progress or just the monthly cheques.

I hope my lack of knowledge on the subject has not insulted anyone, if so apologies it was not intentional

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I am not a teacher, but here is my 2c worth :

Did you check the qualifications of the teacher before you hired him/her (it is not clear from your post) ?

I would have thought (again...just my opinion) that teaching the guitar would have involved a variety of music and technique. Often children of that age are more keen to learn, when the lessons are based on music they like. Perhaps they do like the classical style ? However, if the teacher is indeed qualified, it would be best to trust their judgement. If you dont, there is always the option of getting someone else.

Advertisement