Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014/2015 Off-Season Thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

8-10 wrote: »
    :( really sad, sounds like he's slipping back into his old ways

Yeah, sad news alright. Hopefully he can get it together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah, sad news alright. Hopefully he can get it together.

Don't really follow MLB much these days but was sad to see this news. I remember watching him a few years ago and the whole league just being so proud of him for the turnaround he'd made. Hopefully he can get himself back on the tracks and take his punishment as motivation to improve himself.

Don't really follow MLB much these days but was sad to see this news. I remember watching him a few years ago and the whole league just being so proud of him for the turnaround he'd made. Hopefully he can get himself back on the tracks and take his punishment as motivation to improve himself.

The ESPN lads were asking today does he deserve punishment? If it is alcohol and cocaine and not PEDs, doesn't he need help as opposed to being banned for 100 games or whatever?

EDIT - I know rules are rules and cocaine etc are probably in the CBA so he has to go but the point they were making (and I kind of agree with) is that who benefits from suspending him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I know rules are rules and cocaine etc are probably in the CBA so he has to go but the point they were making (and I kind of agree with) is that who benefits from suspending him?

I don't know why recreational drugs are lumped in with PEDs, it just makes no sense. He has a problem, like any addict, he needs help, not punishment. But sure isn't that the society we live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The ESPN lads were asking today does he deserve punishment? If it is alcohol and cocaine and not PEDs, doesn't he need help as opposed to being banned for 100 games or whatever?

EDIT - I know rules are rules and cocaine etc are probably in the CBA so he has to go but the point they were making (and I kind of agree with) is that who benefits from suspending him?

I guess it's a Josh Gordan type of situation. Where would you fall on that one?

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I guess it's a Josh Gordan type of situation. Where would you fall on that one?

I don't know to be honest. There's no easy answer. I'd lean more to the help them, don't punish them side but their union agreed the rules so they're stuck with them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

First Red Sox line up of the year. Should change very little going forward!

Betts CF, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Ramirez LF, Sandoval 3B, Napoli 1B, Victorino RF, Bogaerts SS, Vazquez C, Buchholz RHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I know it's only Game 1 of Spring Training but still....

Ubaldo - 6 runs on 3 hits, 2 BB, 2 hit batters and 2 WPs. Christ on a bike.

Benimar wrote: »
    I know it's only Game 1 of Spring Training but still....

Ubaldo - 6 runs on 3 hits, 2 BB, 2 hit batters and 2 WPs. Christ on a bike.

Are you sure that wasn't just a box score from last season you were looking at ha ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Are you sure that wasn't just a box score from last season you were looking at ha ha?

As was posted on Twitter 'its nice to see Ubaldo is in mid-season form already' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

RE: Josh Hamilton......injuries could well have played a role in the relapse.

In prior interviews regarding his past addiction and recovery, Hamilton was quite open in saying that while he was with the team he had very little temptation. The hard times for him were during the off-season when he did not have the daily routine. He tried hard to keep a workout routine even in the off-season (often spending most of it at the spring training facilities where team staff were working year round)

This past off-season, he was limited because of his shoulder injury and would have spent a lot of time away from team facilities.

My fear would be that a year long suspension could have detrimental effects on his efforts to recover.

With a $500 fine for each time a batter steps outside the box, apparently it'll take Big Papi doing it 32,000 times before he loses money on the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

With a $500 fine for each time a batter steps outside the box, apparently it'll take Big Papi doing it 32,000 times before he loses money on the season.

I have wondered about that. Will players who earn so much money even care about it?
    Come playoffs will players be taking these fines with easy in order to step out and think over the next pitch before it comes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd hope those fines go to a charity local to the home stadium where it happens.

Still don't agree with the rule overall but will be interesting to see how much it happens.

Just had a scan through the TV Guide on the telly and ESPN are showing the Phillies/Yankees game on 20th March (programme starts at 12:30pm so must be on replay from the day before) and BT Sport has an edition of Baseball Tonight at 2am on the 20th as well so hopefully that's the start of plenty of coverage.

Just read Yu Darvish 'may' face Tommy John surgery as he has a sprained UCL. Terrible news if true. I love watching him pitch when he's on his game.

And wasn't there a load of TJ surgeries coming out of spring training last year too? Let's hope he's a one off.

And wasn't there a load of TJ surgeries coming out of spring training last year too? Let's hope he's a one off.

Unfortunately for me and other Mets fans, he's not. Josh Edgin, the only lefty in the Mets bullpen already signed up for TJ and starter Zach Wheeler looks like he's joining him.

Not a good start too the season for the Mets, down 2 pitchers already. Looks like the old saying that you can never have enough pitching is true so smart move not trading away some of their young arms earlier in the off-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Unfortunately for me and other Mets fans, he's not. Josh Edgin, the only lefty in the Mets bullpen already signed up for TJ and starter Zach Wheeler looks like he's joining him.

Not a good start too the season for the Mets, down 2 pitchers already. Looks like the old saying that you can never have enough pitching is true so smart move not trading away some of their young arms earlier in the off-season.
    Yes, tough on the Mets to lose 2 arms in a week. What's crazy about the Wheeler injury is that the Mets went from not been concerned to fully torn UCL in just a few days :confused:

At least Harvey is starting to look good...

Coeus wrote: »
    Yes, tough on the Mets to lose 2 arms in a week. What's crazy about the Wheeler injury is that the Mets went from not been concerned to fully torn UCL in just a few days :confused:

At least Harvey is starting to look good...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25109448/sneeze-injures-blue-jays-kevin-pillar

I bet no one in baseball feels as silly as this guy though. Another in the line of ridiculous ways to injure yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Just read Yu Darvish 'may' face Tommy John surgery as he has a sprained UCL. Terrible news if true. I love watching him pitch when he's on his game.

Yu had his TJ so he's gone for the year :(
    Really like watching him!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I bet no one in baseball feels as silly as this guy though. Another in the line of ridiculous ways to injure yourself.

He sneezed didn't he? He shouldn't be out more than a few more days, looking to be the 4th outfielder to start the season. He's a good fastball hitter but can't handle a breaking ball at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 nuaeabhrac

Catching the odd game here and there. Anybody know how are the Mets looking this year?

Advertisement