Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clinical research without life sciences?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, i'm back again.

This may seem like a very stupid question but is it possible to get into clinical research without a life sciences degree of any kind?

I have an undergrad degree related to stats and research and was wondering if I could sneak in any backwards way, such as looking for diplomas in biology/similar subjects.

Has anyone ever heard of this or is it just a ridiculous question?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I know people with phd's in physics who do clinical research, a stats background is valid no matter what you want to do with it.

The question is what in clinical research you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CareerCrises

Thanks for the reply. That's great to hear. Well, to be honest i'm willing to do anything. I graduated last year and have been despairing during the past few months over what masters to do. I enjoyed the research element of my undergrad immensely.

I was idealistic in the recent past and had hopes of working in some societally beneficial research role but have been told that positions are few and far between.

I'm just trying to get myself on some sort of career path and really i would take any kind of research position now as long as there is potential to climb the ladder and it's not in business/marketing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Most jobs contribute to society, just not in front-page-headline ways. You could also try other types of research to get experience, look for research assistant jobs in universities to gain experience. People don't walk into many research jobs direct from the undergraduate degree.
    See if you can talk to people in research too, you might find that it's not as satisfying as you might believe. Failing to cure a disease or get a drug through clincal trials after many years of work can be frustrating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I was idealistic in the recent past and had hopes of working in some societally beneficial research role but have been told that positions are few and far between.
    Healthcare research has been an expanding area, especially across the pond where the 70 million Baby Boomers are beginning to retire (born 1946 to 1964). The EU is also aging, if you will look at their changing demographics overtime.

If you are grand at crunching numbers, you might find a place on a research team.

Advertisement