Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woolly Mammoth resurrection - I'll believe it when I see it . . .

• 18-04-2013 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Its been talked about for years and years, then three years ago Japanese scientists declared that they will resurrect the Wolly Mammoth by 2016 (provided they can extract enough intact DNA) from a frozen Mammoth carcase frozen in the siberian permafrost.
    > http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-01/japanese-researchers-plan-resurrect-woolly-mammoth-within-five-years

If it happens in 2016-17 it will certainly be an amazing achievement, but is it ethical? should it be done, should it be allowed? is it cruel?

Is this total pie in the sky, or can you really envisage looking at a real Wolly Mammoth in a Zoo in Japan within the next few years!

I guess the last time they saw us and we saw them (about 5000 years ago) we all had a lot more hair :))

Woolly Mammoth resurrection - I'll believe it when I see it . . 109 votes

I'll believe it when I see it
    0% 0 votes
    I think it would be cruel to the animal, (if it goes ahead)?
    30% 33 votes
    It won't be 100% Mammoth anyway.
    7% 8 votes
    Can't wait for it to happen, I'll be the 1st in the queue at the zoo
    15% 17 votes
    I don't agree with this 'playing God' business at all.
    46% 51 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Mammoth burgers. Kewl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It'll probably just be an elephant with a bunch of brillo pads taped on.

Sneaky Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Life will find a way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

God knows,we've been responsible for more than our fair share of extinctions,so, if they can do it, put it in the empty debit column.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

It will need composite eye sockets that also shoot laser blasts. And preferably wings and a scorpion tail. If possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

A Man-moth?

Always reminds me of Karl Pilkington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

where's ian malcolm when you need him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I hate fecking ethics, it slows everyone down just because some fuker doesn't want me having a wolly mammoth!

Give me my mammoth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Clever Girl

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Oh no, imagine what Ice Age 27 will be like. It will be like the Godzilla movie, except with Manny the the mammoth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

There was a really good article on de-extintion in this months National Geographic. Basically science is at a point where it can be done in theory. Should it be done not knowing how the animal can cope with todays climate/human interaction/disease and the ethics of it are all still being debated. Scientists are ego-maniacs though and this would a big vanity project. If they can do it they will absolutely do it.
    What is known though is that they can have an important role to play in the eco system of the north east Siberia if they were restored there. Right now large areas of it are just a moss dominated tundra. Introducing Mammoths would transform it as they till the soil with their hooves and fertilize with their ****e.

Or maybe we should just stay the fcuk out of it as we've caused enough damage as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

this is jurassaic news isnt it, Im off for a walk in the park to think about whether I like this idea or not

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought that there would be a problem with oxygen levels or some sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

back! leave the poor bastard alone \I say, he will have no friends or any bitches to keep him busy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

LordSutch wrote: »
    is it ethical? should it be done, should it be allowed? is it cruel?

Remove all religious reasoning and someone tell me why it's not ethical.
    IM0 wrote: »
    he will have no friends or any bitches to keep him busy :mad:

Give him an elephant, sure it's just a mammoth after a wax...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think it's a matter of ethics, but there is some element of a "God Complex," that needs to be assessed when it comes to such acts of science.

- What kind of habitat can be provided for it?
    - What impact does this have regarding conservatism in place for the protection of endangered species?
    - Does the animal become considered a product?

I think there can be benifit behind doing it and seeing if it works. But I think it's better to do it with something that'll fit with society today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It sounds like a good idea but, really, what's the point in doing it? Because we can? Is it fair to create and raise an animal to be the only one of its kind, in an environment which it's not adapted to, for no reason other than we can?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Would we get one Mammoth, or a whole bunch? If it's just one, it seems a bit pointless because it will eventually die and we'll be back to zero. But if it's a whole bunch, they can be allowed to breed and reproduce. Then we can bring an entire species back to life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'd love to see this happen but I'd be more interested in them bringing back species that we've made extinct in the last 200-300 years like the Dodo or Tasmanian Tiger etc..

• Advertisement

Am I the only one thinking of all the new barbecue food possibilities?

I want them to bring back the Dodo. Supposedly they tasted great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

smash wrote: »

We could really embrace a Paleo Diet styled on cavemen food with a wooly mammoth!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Remove all religious reasoning and someone tell me why it's not ethical.

Because it's cruel. Using science to make some elephant mammoth retard animal purely for the sake of "Look what we can do". The tried it with The Bucardo and it didn't work.
    Would you be ok to stick an extinct monkeys egg into a womans womb?
    I don't think it's a matter of ethics, but there is some element of a "God Complex," that needs to be assessed when it comes to such acts of science.

- What kind of habitat can be provided for it?
    - What impact does this have regarding conservatism in place for the protection of endangered species?
    - Does the animal become considered a product?

I think there can be benifit behind doing it and seeing if it works. But I think it's better to do it with something that'll fit with society today.

If it's the Japanese then yes. Main course mammoth steaks.

Rack of Mammoth ribs!

Mammoth flavoured crisps!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why would we want to bring back mammoths? Where would they live? The habitat they evolved for is gone, and anywhere you put them they'll be displacing animals which have evolved to fill those various niches over the last 10,000 years. It'd be like the Sparrowhawk all over again*.

Bring back newly extinct animals, or use preserved specimens to boost the numbers and genetic diversity of endangered species, but there's no point that I can see in bringing back such a large animal from so long ago.

* In the UK there was a huge Save the Sparrowhawk campaign, which was very successful, hooray. However now they're seeing a decrease in the number of sparrows, so there's a Save the Sparrows campaign. 10 points for guessing what Sparrowhawks like to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Maybe if the Japanese have mammoth meat they might leave Whales alone...

Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I want them to bring back the Dodo. Supposedly they tasted great.
    By all accounts they were horrible, it was just that they were so easy to catch, basically 17th century convenience food.

It was the Galapagos giant tortoise that was so tasty that the sailors couldn't get living examples back to Europe, they'd eat them instead.

RebelSoul wrote: »
    Because it's cruel. Using science to make some elephant mammoth retard animal purely for the sake of "Look what we can do". The tried it with The Bucardo and it didn't work.
    There are potentially massive scientific breakthroughs to be gained from an experiment of this kind.
    RebelSoul wrote: »
    Would you be ok to stick an extinct monkeys egg into a womans womb?
    That's a bit obscure, even for the purpose of your argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

kylith wrote: »
    10 points for guessing what Sparrowhawks like to eat.
    Mammoths?

Advertisement