Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Me Against The World...

• 12-01-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Here by popular demand is my training log….

Quick snapshot for those who don’t know anything about me.

2012 will be my third year in Triathlon.

I did a few sprint tri’s and one olympic distance in 2010.

2011 I decided to give the National Series a bash and managed a top 60 overall and top 25 in my Age Group. Despite that there was only 2/3 race that I was really happy with last year, with the best two being the last two.

2012 plan is another crack at the NS, and hopefully securing an AG place for the World Champs in 2013, hence the title. I’m aiming for at least a top 15 AG place this year which I hope will get me that place.

To achieve that, I’ll obviously need to improve all three disciplines, but my swim in particular has been very weak in previous seasons.

So, since October the swimming has been the main focus, with 4 swims most weeks. A roaring, barking, snarling Interested every Monday evening has helped me make significant improvement here, knocking 60sec+ off my 400mTT. So I’m hoping this will translate into a big chunk of time off my swims this summer.

Biking has been going fairly well, despite missing a lot of long spins in Nov/Dec (damn party season). But I feel like I’m in pretty good shape as I was getting in two turbos each week and the bike has always been my strongest leg.

Running up to now was all very very easy with the focus being keeping fresh for the swim sessions. As a result I’m a bit behind the other two, but a 5km on Stephens Day (beaten by two Olympians no less) showed that I’m only 40 seconds off my PB (set last April) with substantially less (practically no) intensity to my training. Swimming has now dropped to three sessions a week as the hard work starting to build in my run training, and my coach is fairly confident that I’ll be in good shape in 4-6 weeks.

I haven’t yet finalised my races for this summer, I have three weddings and the accompanying stag dos to fit around my race schedule. But in the more immediate future I’m looking at a 10k in Feb/March as I have a very soft 18 month old PB which needs to fall. Enniscorthy on 12/02, Adare 26/02 or Tubbercurry on Paddy’s day are the ones I looked at briefly today. Then my coach has suggested a lash at the Duathlon National Champs so I’ll head up there, with the March Naas Duathlon hopefully already in the legs.

So, here we go then……

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

WOW...peer pressure does work! :cool:

Best of luck dude! Nice goals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Suppose I'll put in some training...

14km this morn with 45min @4:25/km. This is what I mean by my running behind a bit behind as my HR averaged 165 and hit 184 Cadence 86/88. Was damn windy out in clontarf on the way back in though. Also 5*60m strides

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

All the best to you. I look forward to reading and learning from your log - especially your swimming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck with the logs and goals. My new found interest in the SBR challenge has found me reading Tri logs now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Are you sure the title is not inspired by that Westlife song ;)

Good luck with the log

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    All the best to you. I look forward to reading and learning from your log - especially your swimming!

Thanks Dory. However, having seen your log I doubt you'll learn anything from my swimming. It's improved a lot but it was coming from a very low point.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Are you sure the title is not inspired by that Westlife song ;)

Good luck with the log

Cheers. Never heard of that westlife one though.

Club swim session this eve.
    Included 75steady25hard straight through for 400m, done in 6:30
    10*100 on 1:45, in on 1:37-39
    And some kick and drill work
    2450m in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good man BTH and thanks for starting the log. Best of luck with the season and getting a slot for the AG Worlds next year. Just looked it up and see that its in London. I'm oh so tempted myself. Must keep an eye out for the QF races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Great stuff sounds like your swim has come on an awful lot.

What is your 400tt pb down to now?

Good man BTH and thanks for starting the log. Best of luck with the season and getting a slot for the AG Worlds next year. Just looked it up and see that its in London. I'm oh so tempted myself. Must keep an eye out for the QF races.

Cheers Shotgun. Yup, London, which is going to be a very popular destination, so I'll need a good year to get a spot. Turkey or Israel just arent possible for me. Too expensive.

Fazz wrote: »
    Great stuff sounds like your swim has come on an awful lot.

What is your 400tt pb down to now?

Cheers Ian. It has come on a good bit alright. The last 400tt I did was 6:20 in early December. However, in Mondays main set of 2*400, 3*200,4*100 I matched that time in the first 400, and 6:26 for the second, so I should be fairly confident of improving on that at the next TT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Good luck with the log. Any plans to do CK this year? As I'm on RD duty this year you wont get a chance to pass me but I'm sure I can throw a 2 min penalty your way :D

EC1000 wrote: »
    Good luck with the log. Any plans to do CK this year? As I'm on RD duty this year you wont get a chance to pass me but I'm sure I can throw a 2 min penalty your way :D

Thanks EC. Yeah, hoping to do CK this year again. It was my first Oly in 2010 and I went back again last year, so hoping to take another chunk off my time this year. My Dad grew up on Oliver Plunkett St and I still have family around Mullingar so I like to support the local race there too. If you have the same TI official that you've had there for the last two years I might be in trouble penalty wise. He has it in for me!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ah ffs not another tri log.....I'll never get any work done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

BTH, This is the log I have been waiting for. I'll be keeping a keen eye on it and getting jealous at the amount of training you are getting in.

I'll have to live in the past forever more on my 'I beat BTH' title in our novice year :D

You going to give the National Duathlon Champs a shot? Thinking of doing it too. Carpool? Long way up

BTH, This is the log I have been waiting for. I'll be keeping a keen eye on it and getting jealous at the amount of training you are getting in.

I'll have to live in the past forever more on my 'I beat BTH' title in our novice year :D

You going to give the National Duathlon Champs a shot? Thinking of doing it too. Carpool? Long way up

Cheers "NT". Yeah, I'm up for carpooling. Herself is at the backstreet boys that weekend so I'd be flying solo otherwise. Wasn't actually going to do it until coach suggested it. It is very far.

Easy hour on the turbo this eve. Zone 2 HR for the hour except 6*10sec sprints. 2*10min @70rpm still Z2. 31.4km "covered" 63.1kmph max hr 127/162 cadence 88/128

This morning was a session I've been dreading for 2 weeks since my coach put it on the schedule. Supposed to do it last Saturday this Saturday and next week, but I cried off last week with head cold/sore throat, deciding on a LSR instead. No excuses this week and I roped in a club mate for support.

Long hard run.
    Easy wu
    5*hard hill strides, walk back
    15min easy @5:15 pace
    4*5min @4:10 pace 1min recovery
    10min easy @5:15
    15min @4:25
    Cd to finish.
    All told 18km in 1:27odd. Glutes, shoulders, calves, everything is tender.

Then I was out in base2race and got thrown up on the Lemond turbo to give it a quick try, which naturally became a see how many watts you can churn out. Hit 900+ but the legs just didnt want to know after this morn.

Hill TT now tomorrow morn. Aaaaggggghhhhhh.

Sunday
    3hour 70km spin which incorporated a Hill TT, and a few steady hill climbs in South Dublin/Wicklow. Felt good considering the hard run session on Saturday, so very happy with the solid weekend's training put down. Matched my TT time from November on a colder day when everyone else was slower. So no complaints, except for the stiffness in my legs, which aint going to help swimming this eve. I'll try and get out for an easy 30min run as lunch just to loosen then out a little, and a good stretch before heading down for the bollocking from Interested....

Monday Lunch
    Easy 30min run to loosen out after a tough weekend 6+km @5:08/k HR 132 Cadence 87

Monday Evening
    Club swim in the sardine tin. 7 in the lane, 25m pool, and I'm usually about 3/4 of a length behind everyone else.
    Anyway, main set was 8*50 kick on 90sec, and 4*(4*100 descending) on 1:45 with 60 sec between sets of 4. Slower ones in on 1:39ish, faster ones on 1:32-35. And I swallowed half the pool.

Tuesday Morn
    45 Min run with 25 @5:15 and 15@ 4:25 pace. The 5:15 pace came in 20 beats higher than last week (153v133) while the 4:25 came in lower (156v153). Yep, thats right, only 3 bpm difference between 5:15 pace and 4:25 pace this morning. Did this run at lunch time last Tuesday so I would have been more awake at the beginning. Took ages for the body to realise what was happening this morn.

Ok, an update.

Tuesday Eve

My hard turbo session. wu, 4*6min HR Z4 with 4min Z2 rec, 20min Z3 & cd. Z4 avg HR's were 143, 147, 150, 151 cadence 94/95 avg. Z3 avg 142 HR, 94 cadence.
    My the time I got to the 20min Z3 my arse was killing me. So much worse than the pain in my legs!! 43k in 1:15

Wednesday Morn

Swim in NAC LC, a 3200 set from Interesteds speadsheet with 4*100(50fc50catchup) 8*50kick, 400pull, 8*100 on 1:50, 4*100 as 50easy50hard

Thursday Morn

13.5k in 64min with 45@ 4:25 pace. Still not as comfortable at this pace as I should be. Reckon early morning running as a part to play in that too. Avg HR for the 45 was 165, far too high.

Thursday Eve

Club swim, with some kicking on side, and backstroke kick, 4*100pull & 10*100 steady. Was thankful for the extra swim time on the 100's. Didn't feel that I had much more to give..

Friday Morn

60min turbo in z2 with 2*10min @70rpm. Also 6*10sec sprints. 31k in the hour.

Feeling fairly tired now. 4 early morning sessions in a row left me a little drained for the sprints this AM. It'll only be two early sessions next week. A relaxing weekend (hopefully) and no alarm clock tomorrow should see me right, before a long hard run once I do get up tomorrow. None of your LSR nonesense round here!!

• Advertisement

Just completed my first race entry of the year. Tri an Mhi half. Only 16 weeks!!! Ok, 16 is actually a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Margaret Important Cupcake

It is pleasing to get a good chunk of the sessions in early in the morning, sets you up for the day!!

It is pleasing to get a good chunk of the sessions in early in the morning, sets you up for the day!!

Yeah, it can be very satisfying to get a good session in before the world realises the day has started. But it's important to balance that with adequate rest/sleep, and I've lacked that a little this week. 6:20, 5:30, 6:20, 6:20 starts Tuesday to Friday. I was never an early riser!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey dude, great to see another tri log! Wow, it will be an interesting season and looking forward to all the race reports already!

You are certainly one to watch out for in 2012. I'm jealous of your run cadence, I'd love to be turning over at that rate, currently 79-81rpm. Looking forward to seeing your race plan for the year and cross referencing.

The very best of luck dude, hope all goes well and most importantly stay healthy and injury free.

I'm jealous of your run cadence, I'd love to be turning over at that rate, currently 79-81rpm.

Cheers ElD.

I worked a little on my cadence when I started back in October. Only got the Garmin then so no figures to compare to, but all my running then was very very easy and I worked on shortening the stride and and upping the cadence. It was difficult as the coach kept telling me to slow down. I reckon I looked a little like a duck or a walk racer the stride was that short!!

Saturday

Long hard run today. 14miles covered in just shy of 1:50. That doesnt sound that hard, but there was 5 hard hill strides, a total of 25min @ sub 4:10/km pace and another 15min after than @4:20. Dont know where my coach comes up with this stuff but its a great feeling to get it done. Glutes, arms and calves a little achy, but long spin tomorrow will loosen them out.

One other thing, running in Dublin makes a man soft. Its all too flat and sheltered. Constant rolling hills, and no shelter from the wind today. If I did all my running round here I'd be a much stronger runner. Also nice to come home from a run not stinking of exhaust fumes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Enjoying the log BTH, it's the kind of training I can only dream of being able to achieve one day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Cheers ElD.

I worked a little on my cadence when I started back in October. Only got the Garmin then so no figures to compare to, but all my running then was very very easy and I worked on shortening the stride and and upping the cadence. It was difficult as the coach kept telling me to slow down. I reckon I looked a little like a duck or a walk racer the stride was that short!!..

So do you think after that initial period of being aware of your cadence and shortening your stride that it has paid off in a quicker turn over? Are you faster or more efficient do you feel? Have you any idea what your optimum cadence would be? One more (sorry :o) what is your ave bike cad?

Bally8 wrote: »
    Enjoying the log BTH, it's the kind of training I can only dream of being able to achieve one day

Glad you'e enjoying it Bally8. This time 2 years ago I was doing 1 swim 1 bikes and 2 runs a week gearing up for my first race. It can get very addictive very quickly! Really enjoying it though.

So do you think after that initial period of being aware of your cadence and shortening your stride that it has paid off in a quicker turn over? Are you faster or more efficient do you feel? Have you any idea what your optimum cadence would be? One more (sorry ) what is your ave bike cad?

No need to be sorry!! It's very difficult to answer these questions as 1) I don't know what my cadence was this time last year, or even 5 months ago & 2) during the summer I naturally transitioned from a heel strike to a forefoot strike, which I changed to a midfoot strike during December. I did a Chi Running course with Catherina McKiernan in December, and using this technique properly is going to result in a short high cadence stride.

I believe that the initial time I spend focusing on my cadence probably resulted in an increase of 2/3 but as I said I can’t be sure about that. But I reckon I probably had a reasonably high cadence. I know we have talked before about having your run cadence within 10 or so of your bike cadence, and I would have a naturally high bike cadence. In some races last year my average cadence was over 100 (104 in Lanesboro!). My easy turbo sessions I’m spinning about 97 but out on the road this increases, unless it’s a group spin.

Whether I’m more efficient or faster I don’t know. Up to this month I did easy running and easy running only so I’m not anywhere near in race shape. But I’m confident that I’m moving in the right direction and that I’ll see big improvements and fairly quickly too. As I said above to Bally8, I haven’t been running consistently for long so continued improvement is to be expected as well so it’s difficult for me to quantify improvement solely as a result of increased cadence.

Optimum cadence I’m not sure of either. I did a 5km on Stephens day where I averaged 87. I intend on doing a 10km in the next 8 weeks so that will give a good indication of where I stand on this as I should be in decent race shape by then and able to give it a good lash, but I would expect it to be around 86/87 without having to focus on it.

So effectively I’ve rambled on for ages without directly answering the questions!!:pac:

Easy spin with the cycle club back home on Sunday morning, with an hour solo after. 85k odd in 3:15 or so. Nothing spectacular. Avg HR was 123 cadence 93.

• Advertisement

Easy lunchtime jog. Target HR low 130s. 30min @ 5:00/km 133HR 88Cadence.

By way of comparison, last week was @5:08 pace for 132HR & 87 cadence.
    Early November was @5:08 for 146HR.

Slowly coming together.

Advertisement