Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aliens/Predators V IRA/Black And Tans

• 12-08-2010 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

I watched all the DVD's of all the Alien and Predator movies the other weekend before I went out to see the latest Predator flick in the cinema.

I am a real history buff especially the Irish Revolution and I consider the best movie about that period to be The Wind That Shakes The Barley.

So I was wondering if a Predator or an Alien pod turned up in Ireland circa 1920 - how would the local IRA and the Black and Tans have reacted to their comrades being skinned alive and beheaded by a mysterious figure who can appear and disapper at will or acid spitting monsters who burst from the chests of their human victims?

Would the IRA and the Tans have put their differences aside for a while to take care of the blood thirsty intruders?

More importantly. Who would have won?;)

ira-flying-column.jpg

IRA flying column

BlackTans2.jpg

Black and Tans

alien-vs-predator-762898.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I'd put my money on the monsters...

I'd imgine the rest of the world would do a 28 days later on it and just quarantine the Island!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I watched all the DVD's of all the Alien and Predator movies the other weekend before I went out to see the latest Predator flick in the cinema.

I am a real history buff especially the Irish Revolution and I consider the best movie about that period to be The Wind That Shakes The Barley.

So I was wondering if a Predator or an Alien pod turned up in Ireland circa 1920 - how would the local IRA and the Black and Tans have reacted to their comrades being skinned alive and beheaded by a mysterious figure who can appear and disapper at will or acid spitting monsters who burst from the chests of their human victims?

Would the IRA and the Tans have put their differences aside for a while to take care of the blood thirsty intruders?

More importantly. Who would have won?;)

ira-flying-column.jpg

IRA flying column

BlackTans2.jpg

Black and Tans

alien-vs-predator-762898.jpg

You really need to get out more.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

According to accounts that I have read about the Black and Tans in Tom Barry's Guerilla Days in Ireland, Dan Breen's My Fight for Irish Freedom etc, militarily, the Tans were actually a bunch of cowards. I suppose it was typical of the bully syndrome, i.e. the tough guy who likes throwing his weight around until he meets someone who can put it up to him and he instantly becomes the sniveling coward. And quite often they were little more than a drunken rabble due to looting and robbing pubs of drink and money in the towns and villages around the country. However their swagger and bravdo wasn't long disappearing when ambushed by a column of IRA men etc

The Auxillary Regiment were a different kettle of fish, as found of torture as the Tans ( pulling out fingernails, slashing with knives etc ), they were however militarily formidable. Hand picked officers with experience of fighting at the front in WW1, armed to the teeth with the latest weapons and best armoured military vehicles at the time, they were the SAS of thier day. But just like the SAS, they often met more than their match in the IRA.

Lets say that the IRA and the Auxiliary's ( Auxies as the IRA called them ), were to join forces against Alien/Predator, well I reckon they'd only have a chance of winning only if Arnie Schwarznegger was leading them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭jurgenscarl

According to accounts that I have read about the Black and Tans in Tom Barry's Guerilla Days in Ireland, Dan Breen's My Fight for Irish Freedom etc, militarily, the Tans were actually a bunch of cowards. I suppose it was typical of the bully syndrome, i.e. the tough guy who likes throwing his weight around until he meets someone who can put it up to him and he instantly becomes the sniveling coward. And quite often they were little more than a drunken rabble due to looting and robbing pubs of drink and money in the towns and villages around the country. However their swagger and bravdo wasn't long disappearing when ambushed by a column of IRA men etc

The Auxillary Regiment were a different kettle of fish, as found of torture as the Tans ( pulling out fingernails, slashing with knives etc ), they were however militarily formidable. Hand picked officers with experience of fighting at the front in WW1, armed to the teeth with the latest weapons and best armoured military vehicles at the time, they were the SAS of thier day. But just like the SAS, they often met more than their match in the IRA.

Lets say that the IRA and the Auxiliary's ( Auxies as the IRA called them ), were to join forces against Alien/Predator, well I reckon they'd only have a chance of winning only if Arnie Schwarznegger was leading them :)

Is it possible that a Predator was on the loose in Cork?

Much of the city centre was burnt to the ground which suggests that there might have been a fight, the alien hunter was dying or facing capture and initiated his self-destruct device?

2ocqn930ubywvi8z0wl9dhefnm6z926$b2i35mpwa63atxazyzyddy026cfzfjh

It was claimed that after Tom Barry and his men famously ambushed and annihilated a column of British that the bodies had axe wounds and other mulitations? Could it be the case that a Predator actually killed them and the IRA took the credit?????:eek:

predators-combi-stick.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I don't think the Black and Tans would have acted any differently.

• Advertisement

THE GENTLE BLACK AND TAN by Breandán Ó hEithir which lampoons John A Murphy, Ruth Dudley Edwards and Eoghan Harris (Yer Man) and co. for their whitewashing of this notorious regiment. Bit off topic but since this is the Walter Mitty forum it's very witty and a good chuckle :)

Come all you staunch revisionists
    And listen to my song,
    It’s short and it’s unusual
    And it won’t detain you long.
    It’s all about a soldier
    Who has carried history’s can,
    Who dodged Tom Barry and Dan Breen
    The gentle Black and Tan.

‘Twas the curse of unemployment
    That drove him to our shore.
    His jacket black and trousers tan
    Like a badge of shame he wore.
    “Subdue the rebel Irish
    And shoot them when you can!”
    “May God forgive me if I do,”
    Prayed the gentle Black and Tan.

The burning of Cork city
    Was indeed a mighty blaze.
    The jewellers’ shops were gutted
    Not before the spoils were shared.
    Gold and silver ornaments,
    Rings and watches for each man,
    “But I only struck the matches,”
    Said the gentle Black and Tan.

Croke Park and Bloody Sunday
    Was our hero’s greatest test.
    The spectators on the terraces
    Nigh impossible to miss.
    With salt tears his eyes were blinded
    And down his cheeks they ran,
    So he only shot Mick Hogan

So take heed you blinkered Nationalists
    Fair warning take from me.
    If you want to live in safety
    And keep this land at sea.
    Take heed of our three heroes
    Murphy, Edwards and Yer Man,
    Who will sing the fame and clear the name
    Of the gentle Black and Tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭jurgenscarl

THE GENTLE BLACK AND TAN by Breandán Ó hEithir which lampoons John A Murphy, Ruth Dudley Edwards and Eoghan Harris (Yer Man) and co. for their whitewashing of this notorious regiment. Bit off topic but since this is the Walter Mitty forum it's very witty and a good chuckle :)

Come all you staunch revisionists
    And listen to my song,
    It’s short and it’s unusual
    And it won’t detain you long.
    It’s all about a soldier
    Who has carried history’s can,
    Who dodged Tom Barry and Dan Breen

‘Twas the curse of unemployment
    That drove him to our shore.
    His jacket black and trousers tan
    Like a badge of shame he wore.
    “Subdue the rebel Irish
    And shoot them when you can!”
    “May God forgive me if I do,”
    Prayed the gentle Black and Tan.

The burning of Cork city
    Was indeed a mighty blaze.
    The jewellers’ shops were gutted
    Not before the spoils were shared.
    Gold and silver ornaments,
    Rings and watches for each man,
    “But I only struck the matches,”
    Said the gentle Black and Tan.

Croke Park and Bloody Sunday
    Was our hero’s greatest test.
    The spectators on the terraces
    Nigh impossible to miss.
    With salt tears his eyes were blinded
    And down his cheeks they ran,
    So he only shot Mick Hogan

So take heed you blinkered Nationalists
    Fair warning take from me.
    If you want to live in safety
    And keep this land at sea.
    Take heed of our three heroes
    Murphy, Edwards and Yer Man,
    Who will sing the fame and clear the name
    Of the gentle Black and Tan.

This piece of crap has nothing to do with this thread.

Can we stick to the topic please?

Is it possible that a Predator was on the loose in Cork?

Much of the city centre was burnt to the ground which suggests that there might have been a fight, the alien hunter was dying or facing capture and initiated his self-destruct device?

2ocqn930ubywvi8z0wl9dhefnm6z926$b2i35mpwa63atxazyzyddy026cfzfjh

It was claimed that after Tom Barry and his men famously ambushed and annihilated a column of British that the bodies had axe wounds and other mulitations? Could it be the case that a Predator actually killed them and the IRA took the credit?????:eek:

predators-combi-stick.jpg

This piece of crap has nothing to do with this thread.

Can we stick to the topic please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Children, behave!!!

lol ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I would say the IRA would have been promptly back in the Church,asking Fr O Friggery for absolution from "dem terrible demons the good Lord had seen fit mursha to release on the land...Oh Jaysus tis de end o days I will be tellin ye."
    On the British side it would be "I say,those bloody potato pickers have gone to total animals,skinning our lads.Find a bunch of Paddies and exe....I say ...whats this three odd read lights on my chest?????:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

I reckon that this being Ireland and more esp in the 20's that should a alien or predator have been encountered there would have been only one course of action open to the boys..

They would have set the fcuking Sheep Dogs on them!!!

Never under estimate the Sheep Dog!! A&P vs SD.. "In the corner of the field.. No one can hear your scream!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭xavidub

Simple. Round up the creatures and throw them into an Industrial School run by the church.

That'd show them what a Predator really is

Advertisement