Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Writing Blog thread

• 14-03-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

I'm really getting into blogging and I'm pretty sure there has to be more than a few bloggers on this creative writing forum. SO I was thinking maybe we could have a sticky where we can promote our blogs, let everyone know when we update, that type of thing?

I love reading other people's blogs but it is difficult to find the particular type of blog that appeals to me i.e. more words less inspiration boards or pictures. I suspect the bloggers on here would be the wordy blogs so yeah, I'm hoping to read your blogs and maybe if you have any time you could have a glance at mine. And don't worry - I'm not going to put my bog name up until you say it is ok to and that we're going ahead with this. This is not a look at MY blog thread - it's a (hopefully, if it happens) look at everyone's blog thread.

Anyone else with me?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm interested! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Thanks Insect overload, anyone else out there?

Any moderators reading that are willing to make this a sticky?

D'oh! I just realised you ARE a mod. Oops - any chance of that sticky?

Any one else wanna share their blog with the world via the medium of boards?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

hcass wrote: »

I'm just a regular poster on this forum. :) Stickies are kept fairly minimal here these days, so I'd say the best thing to do would be to get the ball rolling and give this thread a bit of content of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'm just a regular poster on this forum. :) Stickies are kept fairly minimal here these days, so I'd say the best thing to do would be to get the ball rolling and give this thread a bit of content of its own.

I thought advertising blogs in threads was frowned on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't mind the idea in its innocent form but if and when it inevitably crosses the line into one-post wonder spamtasia it will need to be locked down. You can of course exchange PMs with your blog links and discuss your findings on here if you wish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We do this in the Independent Travel and it works quite well. But I'm strict one one post wonders.

I don't mind the idea in its innocent form but if and when it inevitably crosses the line into one-post wonder spamtasia it will need to be locked down. You can of course exchange PMs with your blog links and discuss your findings on here if you wish.

That sounds fair enough - ok, should I start a new "Creative Writing Blog thread - New Blogs and Updates" thread or keep going with this one?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Renamed. 25 post minimum to post a link and there needs to be some discussion in the thread. Sound fair?

Brilliant! Thank you.

Well I'll go first...

My blog is http://nuttygalwantstocomehome.blogspot.com/ it's called Nutterly Butterly. It's just about my life and things that make me laugh and make me angry. MOstly angry though. I like to think it's funny but you can tell me if I'm just fooling myself if you like.

Just wondering what type of blogs you all have and what inspires you?

• Advertisement

I'm working on three different blogs at the moment.

Started The Diary I Always Meant To Keep three and a half years ago as an open journal. It's very personal, but I've got some great feedback from all sorts of people who I never expected would ever read it. What inspires me? Usually self-induced madness. :pac:

My current pet project is a poetry blog, updated every day for the last 45 days. The plan is to continue updating it for at least the next three months. So far I've only got feedback from friends, but it's averaging 40 visits a day so I'm pretty happy. I've also found that looking back over my old stuff has got me back into writing new material again. :)

Last but not least is my Irish language blog. I don't use it too often, but I've been updating it every day for Seachtain na Gaeilge 2012 with the poems I've written in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

My current pet project is a poetry blog, updated every day for the last 45 days. The plan is to continue updating it for at least the next three months. So far I've only got feedback from friends, but it's averaging 40 visits a day so I'm pretty happy. I've also found that looking back over my old stuff has got me back into writing new material again. :)

I think your poem "The Writer" is amazing!

I keep a poetry blog too. Some poems from years ago, some fairly recent. Have a few more I wrote very recently to put up there too! I don't claim to be a poet but I do like writing down my thoughts and oftentimes they come out as poems :) (There's one poem there that's a bit of an experiment, if anyone notices it, let me know ;) ) http://tarareapy.wordpress.com/

Insect OL - wow! Your blog is so personal, I don't think I'd be comfortable being so honest on my blog. Very brave of you.

This thread's gone quiet again. I just posted my 60th poem, something I'm very pleased about! :) That's a full 2 months of blogging so far.

How about links to blogs by other writers? I know a lot of people on Boards have a lot of time for Walsho's blog. Is there anyone else like him that posters here could recommend?

Yeah, I updated my blog but didn't want to post cos I didn't want it to be a list of updated blogs instead of actual chat about blogs.

I'm quite sporadic in my blog writing especially at the moment with heavy uni workload.

Here's a blog I love - it's an amateur photographer who takes a snap every day and then posts a little bit about it http://pixbyshumbles.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 _Leary_

I approve of this idea! I'll also give those blogs mentioned above a look over.

I'v also started my own blog -> http://learyslounge.wordpress.com/

It's dedicated to my writing, I'd really appreciate some feedback on what I write, I'll post more as I get time, as the blog's main aim is to help me improve my craft.

+1 for sticky!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DaneScott

nuttgalwantstogohome is funny stuff. all on the money too. you don't embelish but you're prose is still pretty. I will be returning. The exclamation post is stellar.

IOL, your poetry is very nice. I don't find my mind travelling else where when I read. I have that issue with everything, could be add, ha. Anyway, lovely imagery, you seem to know how to set a scene. Dust and Escapists Woods are really up my street.

I want to post my blog here. But I don't know if I'll get away with it. I'm 5 posts off, how lenient are you mods feelin'? :)

• Advertisement

DaneScott wrote: »
    I want to post my blog here. But I don't know if I'll get away with it. I'm 5 posts off, how lenient are you mods feelin'? :)

You could PM me a link for now. If you like?

brilliant. I will!! :) Thank you.

DaneScott wrote: »
    brilliant. I will!! :) Thank you.

Hey - I'm not really a poetry head. IN fact I can't make head nor tail of poetry but I'll post a link up to your site, you're at 27 posts now anyway.

www.acreativewritingblog.blogspot.com

Hey - I'm not really a poetry head. IN fact I can't make head nor tail of poetry but I'll post a link up to your site, you're at 27 posts now anyway.

www.acreativewritingblog.blogspot.com

That's amazing! Thank you so much. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 lisaclareob

I've just started blogging last weeks and I think it might be cool if we kind of make friends. Do favours like comment on each other's posts and all that :P Just if anyone's interested email me lisaclareobrien@yahoo.ie - no spam please!

dont know if it's allowed to do to this, but i updated my blog a bit there if anyone was looking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

My blog is http://nuttygalwantstocomehome.blogspot.com/ it's called Nutterly Butterly. It's just about my life . . .

Hi hcass,

I read your "Did you Ever . . ." article from May 10, 2012, and really enjoyed it. Great timing.

I noticed you had 18 followers, which is great, but . . . how come you don't post more often? We post pretty well daily, but sometimes the posts take a day or 2 to think through, as they are complex and form part of a storyline, which is actually truth dressed as storyline. Somtimes we post 2 or 3 times per day as a fireworks display.

If you post way more often, and subscribe to "pingomatic" to broadcast your blog, it will get more hits and visits. Funnily enough, we have zero followers, but we have gone from off the radar-range when we began on Jan 16, 2011 to on the radar-range in late 2011 (24 millionth most popular site) to 21, 14, 7, and lately 3 millionth most popular, dipping to 2.8 millionth by page views or something like that - it's a little confusing to explain hits/visits/pages/files.

The trick is that if you say enough word strings, you will meet more search criteria. We have almost 400 posts and almost 5000 comments so far.

Hi hcass,

I read your "Did you Ever . . ." article from May 10, 2012, and really enjoyed it. Great timing.

I noticed you had 18 followers, which is great, but . . . how come you don't post more often? We post pretty well daily, but sometimes the posts take a day or 2 to think through, as they are complex and form part of a storyline, which is actually truth dressed as storyline. Somtimes we post 2 or 3 times per day as a fireworks display.

If you post way more often, and subscribe to "pingomatic" to broadcast your blog, it will get more hits and visits. Funnily enough, we have zero followers, but we have gone from off the radar-range when we began on Jan 16, 2011 to on the radar-range in late 2011 (24 millionth most popular site) to 21, 14, 7, and lately 3 millionth most popular, dipping to 2.8 millionth by page views or something like that - it's a little confusing to explain hits/visits/pages/files.

The trick is that if you say enough word strings, you will meet more search criteria. We have almost 400 posts and almost 5000 comments so far.

I know, I know, I really have to get my finger out and start posting again. I've been so very lazy lately. I think it's a bit of a crash after finishing Uni and spending the last month constantly writing to get work done. I am going to start back asap. Thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

You have to admit at least they're /efficient/ whirling death traps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 finno26

I'm not 100% on the 'rules' regarding posts like this but I haven't seen anything that says I can't, so, on that note, here is my author facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJayFinn

Come and 'like' my page and see all the information on my two published short story collections and my upcoming novel.

Advertisement