Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is gay marriage a threat to humanity?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Min wrote: »
    Not having gay marriage in law is not discrimination..

It very clearly is.
    Are gay couples going to say that now that nature itself must change as it discriminates against them when it comes to having children that are biologically from both of the gay couple?..

A non sequitur.
    I think the threat is everyone feeling they have some right to this, that and the other, that all traditions must be swept out, otherwise these new discriminations are invented as everything must be homogenised...

People thinking they have rights? That'll lead to trouble.

I don't see how the tradition of men and women getting married is in anyway to be "swept out". Being gay is not mandatory.

Anyway, the world is in a mess and it's getting worse, whether that is due to how society has gone is another matter.

The usual 'golden age' crapology which displays a truly woejous lack of historical knowledge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I don't understand the attraction to the word marriage. I'd be perfectly happy with a civil partnership. I associate the word marriage with the religious ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The church gets it's teaching on homosexuality from the bible where it states homosexual sex is a sin. The church will not change it's view as the bible will not be changing it's text, just as the rules of nature only allow for human life to be created naturally via a male/female relationship, to some that may be discrimination but it is no different to Pope Benedict being against gay marriage when the rules of the bible only allow for male/female marriage.

What a foolish thing to say. The Church has a long history of not holding itself to it's own standards. It will happily change it's view when the Church or it's reputation will be directly affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Definitely. What with the media's gay agenda - token gay on Eastenders etc - the gayness is spreading like wildfire, and before we know it, we'll all be gay, and... bam! No more kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's all about ridin'

If you like ridin' blokes then ride blokes.
    If you like ridin' women, then ride women.

If your a priest - stop ridin' what your ridin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Who cares what the Pope says or Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

efb wrote: »
    Well I used think it was Holy C as in "Catholic"- kinda like Special K...
    ..unt. :D

Min wrote:
    Anyway, the world is in a mess and it's getting worse, whether that is due to how society has gone is another matter.
    Oh for the days of children being sent to sweep chimneys, life expectancy being one's 30s, torture being run of the mill state punishment, etc etc...

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Even if you fully agree with it...

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

MagicSean wrote: »
    I don't understand the attraction to the word marriage. I'd be perfectly happy with a civil partnership. I associate the word marriage with the religious ceremony.

If the State offers Marriage then it should be open to all consenting adult couples.

If it offers Civil Partnerships then they it shouldnt be a second class half marriage different titled issue.

In many of the US States where there is equal in all but name CP one of the massive issues is that hospitals, solicitors, schools, etc dont know the difference when someone says one is CP'd not married, and even occasionally people choose to make it more difficult. If it was one status for everybody then there wouldnt be those problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Anyone who does not want gay marriage don't enter one

No.
    That's just silly - dismissing something you agree with for sectarian reasons.

That's just silly - dismissing something you agree with for sectarian reasons.
    What are you on about? I don't care about gay marriage or disagree with it. They can do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

For once, I agree with the pope. The gays do destroy the idea of marriage.

I mean, there's so many shining examples of a natural marriage between a man and a woman like the recent high profile weddings of Sinead O'Connor and Kim Kardashian..........

Oh......

Wait a minute........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Originally Posted by Min
    Are gay couples going to say that now that nature itself must change as it discriminates against them when it comes to having children that are biologically from both of the gay couple?..

THAT made me laugh out loud and I frightened the sleeping dogs :D. Because the same applies to many many straight couples. But that is ok, because they are straight, eh? Say hello to your wife and my kids, ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Catholics
    TylerIE wrote: »
    If the State offers Marriage then it should be open to all consenting adult couples.

If it offers Civil Partnerships then they it shouldnt be a second class half marriage different titled issue.

In many of the US States where there is equal in all but name CP one of the massive issues is that hospitals, solicitors, schools, etc dont know the difference when someone says one is CP'd not married, and even occasionally people choose to make it more difficult. If it was one status for everybody then there wouldnt be those problems.

I don't think the state should offer marriage. Leave that to the religious folk. A civil partnership should be sufficient for all legal and tax reasons. Ironically my sexual orientation prevents me from entering a civil partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Forcing a young teenage boy to join Hitler Youth does not make someone a Nazi

He was young, it's not something you can use decades later

Maybe so, but I'd like to hear his excuse then for being;

a). A homophobe

b). Aiding the spread of HIV in Africa by telling African Catholics that they should not use condoms

c). Aiding & abetting the cover up of systematic child abuse in his organisation

Here is a man who claims himself to be a Christian, yet there is nothing Christian about how he leads his life - in fact his dogmatic, intolerant, bully boy nature is more akin to the ways of the Nazis than a Christ-like belief in all that is noble & good.

When he was elected Pope however, I was happy - happy to see that the Church had given up any hope on trying to feign any signs that their interests were based around humanity. The resounding cry from this out-dated hierarchy is that their main focus is & always has been one of authority.

At least for that tiny shred of honesty, we can be grateful because it allows more & more people to realise that this is an organisation that deserves no place or respect in the modern world as it is belongs in the Dark Ages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

the catholic church also said the same thing about contraception! That it would end humanity and destroy marriage and family! HA ! How wrong they were ! That was 30 years ago and since that the world population has been on the rise and its not slowing down !
    At this stage the Catholic Church are so out of touch with reality its not even a joke anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Scrawny71 wrote: »
    Factually incorrect, perhaps; but not ridiculous, IMO. They have extreme right-wing Catholicism in common, and Pope Ben's casuistry regarding gay marriage is the kind of thing you'd expect to hear from a tyrannical regime, eg that of Robert Mugabe (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/8912132/Mugabe-calls-David-Cameron-satanic-for-backing-gay-rights.html)
    I have to agree with this. Totalitarian regimes have often been so ineffably cruel that we have placed them 'a cut above' plain old fashioned bigotry and sectarianism. We even invoke things like Godwin's Law to scoff at any attempt to draw parallels with Nazi totalitarianism, when genuine parallels are exactly what we should be looking out for and highlighting.

It's gotten to the stage where the whole point of Godwin's law - to poke fun at irrational and petty online comparisons with fascism - has precluded virtually any kind of valid comparison at all.

The fact is that there is a common thread running throughout 20th century totalitarianism which remains firmly embedded in Roman Catholic (and to some extent wider Christian) moral philosophy and authoritarianism. This deserves to be addressed

I firmly believe that the Papacy is the last great inheritor of the Totalitarian legacy. It won't be around forever. Despite popular misconception, it isn't a particularly old institution in the grand scheme of things. Some tremendous generation will have the honour of dismissing it altogether, sadly I fear it will not be ours who does so.

Our disreputable fate, like the Germans of 1933, is to perpetuate it unto them who will be strong enough to have us rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Someone is a lot more intelligent than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Someone is a lot more intelligent than I thought.

Why thank you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

efb wrote: »
    Well I used think it was Holy C as in "Catholic"- kinda like Special K...

Does the 'K' in special K actually stand for anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

don't think anyone really gives a toss what "the ghey" do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_special_k_what_does_the_k_stand_for

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Locker10a wrote: »
    the catholic church also said the same thing about contraception! That it would end humanity and destroy marriage and family! HA ! How wrong they were ! That was 30 years ago and since that the world population has been on the rise and its not slowing down !
    At this stage the Catholic Church are so out of touch with reality its not even a joke anymore!

I looked it up (just cos I'm that kind of pedantic A-Hole)

Contraception began to become available in Ireland (26 counties) in the late 1970s
    Population of Ireland in 1970 = 2,950,100
    Current population of Ireland = 4,581,269

Does that contraception thing actually work? :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

later10 wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. Totalitarian regimes have often been so ineffably cruel that we have placed them 'a cut above' plain old fashioned bigotry and sectarianism. We even invoke things like Godwin's Law to scoff at any attempt to draw parallels with Nazi totalitarianism, when genuine parallels are exactly what we should be looking out for and highlighting.

It's gotten to the stage where the whole point of Godwin's law - to poke fun at irrational and petty online comparisons with fascism - has precluded virtually any kind of valid comparison at all.

The fact is that there is a common thread running throughout 20th century totalitarianism which remains firmly embedded in Roman Catholic (and to some extent wider Christian) moral philosophy and authoritarianism. This deserves to be addressed
    Er...much and all as I'm against many aspects of the Church's general moral outlook, you do realise some of, if not the most brutal totalitarian regimes enforced atheism and forbade any form of religion?

Authoritarianism is an element of Catholicism, but it is not peculiar to the religion, nor Christianity either for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Pace2008 wrote: »
    you do realise some of, if not the most brutal totalitarian regimes enforced atheism and forbade any form of religion?
    You mean that they enforced their movement as being the only true source of moral philosophy or outlook?

Yes, I do know that.

The point is not that the 20th century totalitarians were religious, the point is that the Roman Catholic Church embodies many of the totalitarian characteristics of a 20th century regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kan't believe idiots think this sh1t is good for you

Advertisement