Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

You should have done German since Afrikaans is based on German, Dutch and English jou voken mooer :P

With regard to your idea of motor meets photo threads, all the photos go up on the original thread for each meet.

Yup, it sure is.

But then they get lost, and another member, will be like... Oh theres such and such at that motor meet. Now I have to go and look for more pictures......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Yup, it sure is.

But then they get lost, and another member, will be like... Oh theres such and such at that motor meet. Now I have to go and look for more pictures......:mad:

I see your point but I don't think everyone who put up photos is going to go to the trouble of doing it again when they're already there.

I see your point but I don't think everyone who put up photos is going to go to the trouble of doing it again when they're already there.

Il take that as a.......no. :(

You're more than welcome to do it yourself :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You're more than welcome to do it yourself :D

+1

You're more than welcome to do this yourself man! Hahahaha.

• Advertisement

+1

You're more than welcome to do this yourself man! Hahahaha.

I should have said nothing. :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I should have said nothing. :o

I honestly don't know what you expected to happen:p

I honestly don't know what you expected to happen:p

Well I imagined....

1.) someone says, oh ya bubble wrap....fantastic idea. Ect.
    2.)set up this legendery thread.
    3.) I then sip my coffee and/or light my fag.
    4.) and the future is uncertan from 4 onwards.

But obviously that didnt happen. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Starting to put together a homemade ball joint removal tool.

Quick q, do most exhaust shops have most sizes of exhaust tubing in stock? I need 2¼" piping, is this a standard size?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Some heatwave in cork today. Sitting outside too damn hot lol!
    It's a shame I don't need to drive anywhere today :). Tesco is too damn close to drive, so no excuse to drive for some icecream :(. Maybe they have nicer icecream in the town 20 miles away...

Nice ice cream in Clonakilty had 1 on sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Heel and toe is a way of driving. You use the heel of your right foot to brake and the toe to accelerate. It minimizes the length of time between braking and getting back on the loud pedal ;)

By the way, do NOT try it!

Sorry to burst your bubble MM but you're wrong on this one :p

Heel and toe is a downshifting technique used in driving, but you use the toe of your right foot to brake and the heel to blip the accelerator as your left foot clutches and you downshift coming into a corner, it allows a smoother downshift while braking that allows you to get right back on the power on exit and minimizes the chance of oversteer.

It's nearly based on the principal of a clutch kick. Coming into a corner at high speed near the limits of traction, you downshift without matching revs and the car will jolt. This can cause the rear end to wobble or slide which needs correction and wastes time.

Left foot braking is probably what you're thinking of.

My silver indicator bulbs arrived this morning. No more silly orange bits on the car any more! Will pop them in later.

Sorry to burst your bubble MM but you're wrong on this one :p

Heel and toe is a downshifting technique used in driving, but you use the toe of your right foot to brake and the heel to blip the accelerator as your left foot clutches and you downshift coming into a corner, it allows a smoother downshift while braking that allows you to get right back on the power on exit and minimizes the chance of oversteer.

It's nearly based on the principal of a clutch kick. Coming into a corner at high speed near the limits of traction, you downshift without matching revs and the car will jolt. This can cause the rear end to wobble or slide which needs correction and wastes time.

Left foot braking is probably what you're thinking of.

I had a feeling I was wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

My silver indicator bulbs arrived this morning. No more silly orange bits on the car any more! Will pop them in later.

That's on my to do list aswell actually.

That's on my to do list aswell actually.

I only bought them for the front and sides...forgot the rears:o

The rear orange indicator bulbs don't stand out at all though, so it should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I got a set of Osram ones from Micks Garage, and whilst they are no longer orange, they're not clear either, they have an colour akin to oil sitting ontop of water. Not as obvious through the clear lens, but still not clear either.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

To all those Tdi lovers out there, would you please stop converting Volkswagen Corrado's to diesel!! Seriously, its disgusting, saw another one today, a classic sports coupe ruined!

rant over/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cosmo K wrote: »
    To all those Tdi lovers out there, would you please stop converting Volkswagen Corrado's to diesel!! Seriously, its disgusting, saw another one today, a classic sports coupe ruined!

rant over/

I think it's a great idea, loads of tuning potential and great fuel economy

colm_mcm wrote: »

I think it's a great idea, loads of tuning potential and great fuel economy

How do you tune a 1.6 turbo diesel from the late 80's?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The only one I've seen is 1.9

Is it scirocco or corrado you're talking about?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The only one I've seen is 1.9

Is it scirocco or corrado you're talking about?

Corrados. I remember, I worked in a Volkswagen dealership in the early 90's, when the VR6 Corrado came out. What a car back then. 190bhp, and now, they put tractor engines in to them. Its just wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

al
    Cosmo K wrote: »
    Corrados. I remember, I worked in a Volkswagen dealership in the early 90's, when the VR6 Corrado came out. What a car back then. 190bhp, and now, they put tractor engines in to them. Its just wrong imo.

I usually just tend to ignore people who call diesels tractor engines because as a general rule it means they don't have a clue what they're talking about. There are vw tdis out there with more bhp than the VR6 came with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Quazzie wrote: »
    al

I usually just tend to ignore people who call diesels tractor engines because as a general rule it means they don't have a clue what they're talking about. There are vw tdis out there with more bhp than the VR6 came with.

tractor%202.gif

diesels are tractors! just because it has a turbo its not a performance car!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So a diesel can't be a performance car? Someone should tell Audi that all them LeMans they won don't count as they done it in a tractor.

I had my last cigarette at 1:00pm today. Time to get myself, my fitness and my life back on track again :)

Nobody said performance cars, but just because it's not a performance car doesn't mean it's a tractor. There's an in between loike :p Unless you feel that every non-performance petrol is also a tractor?

Also let's not forget, the origins of Lamborghini was tractors ;)

Nobody said performance cars, but just because it's not a performance car doesn't mean it's a tractor. There's an in between loike :p Unless you feel that every non-performance petrol is also a tractor?

Also let's not forget, the origins of Lamborghini was tractors ;)

well we are talking not about proper Le mans stuff, but a WV TDI from a golf or passat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

I had my last cigarette at 1:00pm today. Time to get myself, my fitness and my life back on track again :)

I am off the smokes (again!) 2 weeks and 3 days :)

Actually I just wanted to quote this for irony considering your old Skyline and WRX are both turbo cars :D

• Advertisement

I am not a smoker myself, in fact I had cigarette in my mouth only twice, both times there was "something" in it... It did feck all to me so I never tried both of them anymore... Waste of money.
    Saying this I don't let to smoke anyone in my car. Even misses gets a very rare chance to have a smoke in my car. I had a pleasure to be cleaning mx5 for misses and amount of ash made me go Nerdrage!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement