Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power boating/Diving Qualifications in PDF?

• 10-04-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I completed a power boating course recently and one of the instructors told us he was in the army and got his power boating and diving qualifications while he was in Army. I taught it was a little odd to be able to get this in the army then just taught it might have been part of some sort of "sports/adventure training package" he got down the line.

I know the ARW have a unit that works with the Navy for boarding ships ect, and this might be a stupid question, but are these kinds of qualifications activley used elswhere in the Army?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    there are several users of powerboat (ie, RIBs) in the DF, not least the Naval Service. Gormanstown had one as a rescue boat/ putting out targets boat when it was an active airfield. One of my former colleagues in the Don had his own RIB and was a qualified diver and did body searches and used his own boat.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Engineering Corps also use large RIBs for river crossing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

It does seem odd but the army have many more clubs and stuff that the naval service.

The army run the sailing club lol and they run sailing courses.
    The army have a sub aqua club and they run diving courses.

The Naval Service barely has time tofield a football team with their workload.

but off course everything the naval service turns its hand too is just better because it is the naval service, just a simply fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The NS also have a sailing club. And I don't mean the one that travels in the grey ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

The NS also have a sailing club. And I don't mean the one that travels in the grey ships.
    ''Not with those shoes''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Rumour has it the Navy have a knitting circle, floral arrangement and male to male massage club too ;)

Yeah any member of the DF just needs to join up with the ADG and can get all the aforementioned qualifications, same way as a joe soap civvie could join a dive club and get them. Just that they have access to some some extra eqpt and highly skilled instructors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

but off course everything the naval service turns its hand too is just better because it is the naval service, just a simply fact.

Apart from passing Selection, according to yourself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

It does seem odd but the army have many more clubs and stuff that the naval service.

The army run the sailing club lol and they run sailing courses.
    The army have a sub aqua club and they run diving courses.

The Naval Service barely has time tofield a football team with their workload.

Mate of mine did that when he was based in Dublin I think, he did a diving course anyway but dunno if it was civvie of DF run.

Advertisement