Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

xperia mini

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Vego wrote: »
    No I inputted data and it said it had a "code" so im just waiting

did the code work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

darokane wrote: »
    did the code work?

havent got anything back yet

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fidelis wrote: »
    A word of warning; there's a 62 page thread on the Sony Ericsson website detailing what's wrong with this phone. It overheats and the screen becomes unusable. The only solution is to bring it to a Sony Ericsson approved service centre and have it 'calibrated'. There are reports of people still having issues with the phone, even after this calibration.

I think mine is starting to suffer this problem. If you play something like angry boards for a while it starts to kick itself out of the game. But otherwise the phone remains responsive. Maybe it will get worse? I wonder can you underclock it.

havent got anything back yet

:(

unable to find code ah well tweezers out !!

unable to find code ah well tweezers out !!

have the fast gsm unlock tool got the thing bypassed etc but cant unlock it hummm

• Advertisement

ahhhh I was on a machine using xp went on the notebook with windows 7 no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Ok. After reading through this thread, I decided to try it all out for myself.

I ordered the Xperia Mini online from 02.ie for €99 - and used fatcheese.ie for a further €10 cashback. Total for phone: €89.
    After spending some time extensively playing/messing with the phone to make sure everything was ok, and no warranty issue was apparent, I used FastGSM to unlock the phone at a cost of $15 (€12) using discount code 1aits5g (hidden bargain alert, good until end of May).

Total for unlocked phone: €101 (€89 + €12).

The unlocking procedure is very fast and only takes minutes - however, once you use this service you probably loose your warranty - so beware!

A few things from my experience which may be worth keeping in mind:

- May be best done in bright daylight, as it's much easier to see what you're doing.

- Instead of removing the sticker behind the battery, as per video instructions, I just scratched away a small part of the sticker which was over the contact points in question (it's easy to see, as there's a slight indentation on the sticker over where the relevant contact points are located). I then used a tweezers to make the contact as per instructions. When contacting the points as per instructions, keep the points contacted until the X Unlock Tool tell you to remove contact - then click "OK" as per dialog box, and then just watch on as the program goes through the unlocking process.

- I was using Windows XP, and when my phone was connected as per instructions my computer was requesting a driver file called "QHSUSB_DLOAD". This file is located in the FastGSM driver folder (i.e. the downloaded file from FastGSM). When this file was located and installed everything worked fine.

I must say the Xperia Mini is a very nice and neat phone, which perform very well, and has a very good hardware specification which can't be touched for the price. At a guess, I would say that you would probably have to spend maybe twice as much to get another phone that performs as well.

I've had to send mine back for repair a few times. But otherwise its hard to beat the spec for the price, and its getting ICS eventually which a lot of more expensive phones like the Samsung ACE or Defy+ aren't getting. Seems lot of them with the overheating issue though. Though if you root it you can run a script to fix that apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Thanks OP ~ ordered one. Let see how the unlock goes. Did the Xperia PLay a while back and that was a little tricky to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

I have one of these phones and had the problem of the 2 bottom touch buttons activating by themselves really fast and the unit getting very hot. It usually happens when using a demanding app like Google Navigation with GPS on. I was able to fix it myself by following the guide here.

Apparently the update to ICS also fixes the problem.

• Advertisement

The only problem with rooting is it invalidates your warranty. Mine was only new so I let O2 try and fix it, and they (and their phone repair shop, and Sony themselves) couldn't so I got a refund after a very long time and effort. The problem with ICS is O2 are glacial with releasing updates. So you'll probably have to root to get that also. I note that O2 don't sell it anymore and no one else does either. Pity because it was lovely little phone otherwise. I moved on to this one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,928 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

had the problem touch screen problem using it in sun or hot conditions, did the fix a month or two ago and no problems since, nice phone, good camera for price point

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

i had the overheating issue. Updated to ICE last night, left the phone in the sun for a few min today and with problems. Ninja little phone it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

Any idea where i can pick up another one of these phones? i busted the screen last night :( I can get from a German amazon seller but its €160+!!

Advertisement