Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inclusive vs Exclusive *Noc Notice* Read plox

• 10-11-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately had to look at a few peoples posts today for mean-ness and such. Got some PMs* about certain folk not being welcoming to other posters in the Noc.

I've already talked to people about it individually, but just a reminder to everyone that excluding other users or being nasty to them is not cool and won't be tolerated.

So please keep an eye on your fellow users and make sure you look out for them.

Thanks

*If you don't want to hit report post, please at least pm a mod or cmod you feel comfortable talking to when you see something dodgy. Thats the only way we'll see and keep tabs on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

With all due respect, if you're going to say things like that you should really follow your own rules. You had a few questionable posts today yourself so really whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Everyone should play nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

With all due respect, if you're going to say things like that you should really follow your own rules. You had a few questionable posts today yourself so really whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Everyone should play nice!

if you want to link me to where I bullied someone, I'd love to see it (and the disprove it as bs).
    otherwise,don't have a go at me over the janitorial merging of a thread. cheers

Firstly, I never said you bullied anyone, and you never mentioned bullying in your original post so I don't really see why it's being brought up now :confused:

Secondly, I'm not having a go, there wasn't a hint of confrontation in my post. All I said was one rule for all, not just for some.

I'm not looking to start a fight.

lol. ok

Case and point.

Good day!

• Advertisement

o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Question for you chief, how do you define not welcoming someone? I mean abusing someone or being nasty to them is easy enough to define, spot and therefore enforce but not welcoming someone is extremely vague and undefined no?

Forcing people to be civilised I understand but not sure I get the implication that we are to be forced to like or at least pretend to like each other?

Maguined wrote: »
    Question for you chief, how do you define not welcoming someone? I mean abusing someone or being nasty to them is easy enough to define, spot and therefore enforce but not welcoming someone is extremely vague and undefined no?

Forcing people to be civilised I understand but not sure I get the implication that we are to be forced to like or at least pretend to like each other?

very good point and thanks for making it.
    exclusion through inaction is obviously fine, ignoring people isn't a crime. theres loads of boardsies I don't talk to because they annoy me.

excluding through action is what should not happen,such as making someone feel **** through what you say to them/about them publicly.

get Doom in here to write it down clearly, as its late and I'm in bed :-)

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

What exactly is this thread about?

Being rude, abusive etc. is all covered by the charter so I presume it's not to remind people of that.

As for the being welcoming to other posters on the forum, how will any mod enforce such a rule? Will people start getting infractions after X minutes if they don't respond to someone on thread who says hello? What if someone says hello and the only other person on thread has logged off? Will the person who logged off be infracted/talked to the next time they log on?

It seems like an almost annual thing for the forum now that we have one of these threads.

I'm all for making sure the forum continues to be a fun and welcoming place, but telling people "you will talk to all posters" (or some variation of that) is just going to put peoples backs up.

If people want to clarify what this is all about, I'd appreciate it. But until then, it seems this is much ado about nothing.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Can a Mod please merge this with the Charter thread since "people" don't like more then one thread open on the same subject.....
    Nerin wrote: »
    if you want to link me to where I bullied someone, I'd love to see it (and the disprove it as bs).
    otherwise,don't have a go at me over the janitorial merging of a thread. cheers
    koth wrote: »
    What exactly is this thread about?

Being rude, abusive etc. is all covered by the charter so I presume it's not to remind people of that.

As for the being welcoming to other posters on the forum, how will any mod enforce such a rule? Will people start getting infractions after X minutes if they don't respond to someone on thread who says hello? What if someone says hello and the only other person on thread has logged off? Will the person who logged off be infracted/talked to the next time they log on?

It seems like an almost annual thing for the forum now that we have one of these threads.

I'm all for making sure the forum continues to be a fun and welcoming place, but telling people "you will talk to all posters" (or some variation of that) is just going to put peoples backs up.

If people want to clarify what this is all about, I'd appreciate it. But until then, it seems this is much ado about nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

The thread is pretty much saying be nice to each other. What's not to get?

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

But the forum isn't rampant with posters being dicks to each other so it just seems like overkill to me.

If some posters are misbehaving, well then report posts or PM a mod.

I find it hard to believe that the forum has descended to a level where a thread telling all posters to be nicer to each other was called for.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    But the forum isn't rampant with posters being dicks to each other so it just seems like overkill to me.

If some posters are misbehaving, well then report posts or PM a mod.

I find it hard to believe that the forum has descended to a level where a thread telling all posters to be nicer to each other was called for.

Posts were reported. Mods were PMd.

Define how nice we have to be to each other exactly? There is a giant world of difference between "don't abuse someone" and "do be nice to someone".

It is too vague to me anyway to be told to "be nice", I need that sort of stuff defined. For example many times I have jokingly given out to Jokettle for her perverted love of pineapple on pizza, can she report that as me not being nice? This would clearly not fall under me being abusive to her but it could easily be classified as "not being nice" due to the vagueness of such a term.

I refuse to apologise by the way, pineapple on pizza is disgusting!

Define how nice we have to be to each other exactly? There is a giant world of difference between "don't abuse someone" and "do be nice to someone".

It is too vague to me anyway to be told to "be nice", I need that sort of stuff defined. For example many times I have jokingly given out to Jokettle for her perverted love of pineapple on pizza, can she report that as me not being nice? This would clearly not fall under me being abusive to her but it could easily be classified as "not being nice" due to the vagueness of such a term.

I refuse to apologise by the way, pineapple on pizza is disgusting!

That stuff is obviously joking though. :) (and justified... :pac:)

There were meaner, verging on bullying, posts in the forum a while ago. I will fully admit that I reported them to a mod. It turns out they had also been reported to this mod and another mod by someone else. So the mods saw fit to take action.

That stuff is obviously joking though. :) (and justified... :pac:)

There were meaner, verging on bullying, posts in the forum a while ago. I will fully admit that I reported them to a mod. It turns out they had also been reported to this mod and another mod by someone else. So the mods saw fit to take action.

Surely stuff either counts as bullying in which it is dealt with under the normal charter or it is not bullying in which case people need to grow a thicker skin?

Fine, being unnecessarily mean to people is bullying in my eyes but I didn't want to say outright 'X is being a bully' so I left it up to the mods.

Fine, being unnecessarily mean to people is bullying in my eyes but I didn't want to say outright 'X is being a bully' so I left it up to the mods.

Which is fair enough as it comes down to is X action classed as bullying? if yes then the mods deal with it and problem solved, if X action is not bullying then people need to grow a thicker skin.

If recent actions were considered bullying then I assume they were dealt with in accordance to the charter, until "be nice to each other" is defined in some way like the charter defines "don't abuse people" I just don't see the point of this?

Nerin wrote: »
    ... just a reminder to everyone that excluding other users or being nasty to them is not cool and won't be tolerated...

^ This is pretty much the general idea of the thread. I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of it. It was a reminder by a mod not to be dicks to one another as outlined in the charter.

And recent actions were dealt with by a mod Mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

If all this was done in public, defamation notices would be going out left, right and centre.

If a user deems a post as bullying (and bullying is a well defined term, and not a word to be used lightly.) they should report the post. Being selective about what mod you go to isn't how such things should work.

• Advertisement

I reported the posts to a mod. As did other users. I'm fully entitled to report them to whichever mod I choose.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    If all this was done in public, defamation notices would be going out left, right and centre.

If a user deems a post as bullying (and bullying is a well defined term, and not a word to be used lightly.) they should report the post. Being selective about what mod you go to isn't how such things should work.

I hope you are taking the mickey with the legal talk, you know they have a ****fit about that in the offices. :p

maybe you think it isn't how it should work,but it happens and has always happened,even before lots of us even joined boards.

just like I wouldn't go to certain admins, I don't expect (or want) everyone coming to me.

I think I explained already,I only mean abusive,nasty or cliquey posts,that's all that was complained about. I can't (and never have) mind every new user.

Which is fair enough as it comes down to is X action classed as bullying? if yes then the mods deal with it and problem solved, if X action is not bullying then people need to grow a thicker skin.

If recent actions were considered bullying then I assume they were dealt with in accordance to the charter, until "be nice to each other" is defined in some way like the charter defines "don't abuse people" I just don't see the point of this?
    The fact it was done by message after the posts is why there is a reminder. the reminder is about user actions and how they should immediately report or pm if they have an issue.
    better to get it out of the way instead of let it build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hi Nerin.
    While I am glad this topic has come up (I was not aware of such occurances), I find this thread and the OP in particular somewhat vague and confusing.
    Would it be possible to re-jig the OP for clarity purposes? (bullet points or something)

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hi Nerin.
    While I am glad this topic has come up (I was not aware of such occurances), I find this thread and the OP in particular somewhat vague and confusing.
    Would it be possible to re-jig the OP for clarity purposes? (bullet points or something)

of course, I'll do that this evening. didn't have time last night to edit and time wasted elsewhere.
    I'll bullet point it, leave it on its own and then after day or two post it into the charter.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hi Nerin.

of course, I'll do that this evening. didn't have time last night to edit and time wasted elsewhere.
    I'll bullet point it, leave it on its own and then after day or two post it into the charter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok, I've been quiet up to now but I have been watching.

This is all news to me but frankly I am a little saddened by the clear anger and sniping going on in here and the merged thread. Not that I am blaming anyone, there's always some reasons behind this stuff, and always two sides to every story.

I think it'd be best for everyone to take a deep breath and a day or two away from this whole thing. Smell some puppies, pat some flowers and come back with a logical head, remember this is supposed to be a forum based on friendship of the weird and wonderful and this kind of infighting hurts everyone involved, and ultimately it's an argument over a difference of opinion on an internet forum.

At the moment I have had virtually zero feedback from anyone. I know of late I've been a busy boy and not here much, but there's no reported posts in my inbox, this whole thing came completely out of the blue and mainly anything I've gotten til now has been quite a bit of he said- she said.

I would like to think in my time here I have proved to be fair minded and helpful and I'd like some time to think things over, as I am sure the other mods do. So how about we all calm down and approach this like the reasonable adults we are.

With posts like that ^ you really oughta(bot) change your name to Optimus Brian ^_^

^ This is pretty much the general idea of the thread. I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of it. It was a reminder by a mod not to be dicks to one another as outlined in the charter.

And recent actions were dealt with by a mod Mags.

We are not making a big deal out of it, simply looking for a little clarity due to the vagueness of the words used. If this thread is simply "dont break the charter, that's bad mmmmkay" then it all makes sense, but the vagueness so far has been "some stuff might not break the charter so no rules have actually been broken but we will mod it anyway" in which case I for one just want clarity and definition of this vagueness so we know what is and is not appropriate going forward.

• Advertisement

Clarification is forthcoming. I'm satisfied with and willing to wait it out for that.

Advertisement