Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Dodd wrote: »
    What if you had just put that 10k on BOI when they were 12/15 and checked it often what would would you have.

Balls of steel and a crystal ball.

If you are waiting for the papers for news on shares you are in the wrong bis.
    You need to know whats up well before the papers are out.

I use this cool think called the internet. Instant news updates. FT.com is very quick with the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

bobbbb wrote: »
    I use this cool think called the internet. Instant news updates. FT.com is very quick with the news.[/q

Well I don't have the internet odd that I can post with out it.
    What I was saying was you would have twice the money if you just stayed with BOI and checked it for a big drop.
    All the best in the future.

bobbbb wrote: »
    I use this cool think called the internet. Instant news updates. FT.com is very quick with the news.[/q

Well I don't have the internet odd that I can post with out it.
    What I was saying was you would have twice the money if you just stayed with BOI and checked it for a big drop.
    All the best in the future.

Would love to have done that, but
    Unfortunately i cant guess the future. All i can go on is the pattern i see and the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ppthink

i bought at 0.155 per share in boi but i intend holding them for a couple of years , they may help me to raise capital for my sme from boi , but irish life and permanent seems to be the only bank share holding its own , or even a decent stakes ,compared to the rest, not getting away from the matter but do you think the government will refloat anglo shares anytime soon ,or how does that work now
    I am of the same mind as bobbbb. You are up over 200%. if you sell them you have a profit. If they go up more dont worry you still made money. Dont be too greedy or you can get stung. From their highest price a lot of people bought boi shares. wWho knew they would go as low as 12 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dragonbet

I see there falling again today, is that just from people realising their profits from the 12c-15c brigade??

I bought them at 15c and bailed at 45.5c, personally I thought they'd settle around 20c-30c but there is no way to judge the markets these days, its virtual racing ISEQ style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

well i still have them anyways ,not bothered about them in the short term so long as they are not nationalised ,and if they are im taking possession of a branch

dragonbet wrote: »
    I see there falling again today, is that just from people realising their profits from the 12c-15c brigade??

They are just following the US financials.

US financials closed down yesterday. Irish financials followed on Ireland opening.

Then when US opened with them making a move up. Guess what happened in Ireland.

US then levelled off. Guess what happened in Ireland.

US then lost a bit. Guess what happened in Ireland.

You guessed it. We followed like the sheep we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hotshnot

Bobbbb

I would like to set up an account to be able to trade daily on Irish shares, what would you recommend?

bobbbb, where do you get the up to the minute price on Irish shares. Davy and Goodbodys are 20 mins delayed. No problem with NYSE and NASDAQ on YAHOO FINANCE

• Advertisement

i use good bodys but im not really a day to day trader , i buy a few shares every now and then after i do a bit of market reaserch on the company i fancy

ppthink wrote: »
    bobbbb, where do you get the up to the minute price on Irish shares. Davy and Goodbodys are 20 mins delayed. No problem with NYSE and NASDAQ on YAHOO FINANCE

I have access to a bloomberg machine. :D

Ive started using paddypowertrader more and more.

You'll see the prices updated to the minute on your account anyway.

Im not trading today though. I only do this when there are big movements or big news that i know will be in my favour. Today, even though its going as i expected, its just too tight for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

i use good bodys but im not really a day to day trader , i buy a few shares every now and then after i do a bit of market reaserch on the company i fancy

You did Market Research to buy BOI at 15c? Pull the other one

Dont know If would rely on bloomberg. When i trade etf`s Ihave to ring. they have to check their Bloomberg terminal for a price which is a good bit different than what I have in front of me on Yahoo Finance which has the trading time beside it. As soon as markets close it stops and changes later with after hour trading. I was selling financial ETF (SKF) and was told it was at $282 but Yahoo was showing $287. put a sell on it at $290. within 2 minutes it sold. that was end of last year one day when the ass was falling out of financials. Same when i buy them. Did you ever check the Yahoo Finance site. It shows real time. See what you think and let me know

If you do market research, i presume yesterday eve or this afternoon!

well that was obvios ,2 years ago they were 20.00 now they are between 0.12and 0.55 but it is long term as i said, but some foerign investments have stayed within 10% of what they were in good times ,what is the story woth anglo shares when will they be floated again

anglo is gone

they were nationalised because they were on the point of declaring themself bankrupt

so irelands richest man handed over a billion, never to be seen again .
    i would imagine the chances of boi or aib being nationalised are geting slimmer by the day,i may be wrong, but would the announcment today about the 700m for sme be much of a help to the share price or any at all

sme?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I use Davy.
    I can sell my U.S. shares online. When I put a sell price on themas soon as they reach that price on Yahoo Finance, they sell!? To the second

Maybe they are getting the bid price, I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

well for what it is worth i think if you have some spare cash lying around you could do alot worse than invest it in the banks. i bought boi shares a while back at €0.22 invested €500 then and yesterday i invested another €500 in boi at €0.57 ea.
    my theory is simple this is a long term investment if they don't get nationalised they will eventually rise in price as the world lifts itself out of resession they may never reach those dizzy heights of €20+ a share again i always felt this was overpriced because up untill a few years ago boi shares were always trading around €11,€12,€13 anyhow my idea is that in 5,6,7 or even 10 years time they might hit €10 or €11 again then i will cash in thus making a nice return on my €1000 investment. the flip side of the coin is that if they get nationalised i whistle good luck to my money, but hey €1000 is not alot of money given the possible return.

n.b. don't do this with your mortage money or shopping money
    only do it if you have spare cash and don't mind loosing €1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

what happened anglo irish shares?
    will they ever be traded again i mean the govt isn't going to stay in the bank forever,
    and if they do trade again will the original shares be worth something again?

Anyone know what sme is? re:leitrimlad
    Didn`t see the news today

Anglo was more of a commercial bank so unless they can recoup their bad loans they wont be seen again. Wouldn`t like to guess what they have to write off or how much they had leveraged. probably nothing is coming out from the gov. because Anglo is so much in debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Dont know If would rely on bloomberg. When i trade etf`s Ihave to ring. they have to check their Bloomberg terminal for a price which is a good bit different than what I have in front of me on Yahoo Finance which has the trading time beside it. As soon as markets close it stops and changes later with after hour trading. I was selling financial ETF (SKF) and was told it was at $282 but Yahoo was showing $287. put a sell on it at $290. within 2 minutes it sold. that was end of last year one day when the ass was falling out of financials. Same when i buy them. Did you ever check the Yahoo Finance site. It shows real time. See what you think and let me know

TBH Its more likely yahoo is wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

sme?

Small and Medium Enterprises

Advertisement