Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges and boil notice

• 23-09-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭

I live in south Roscommon, and have been on boil notice for over a year.

The thought of paying water charges for un clean water disgusts me, even a reduced rate. The argument about it being ok for showering is fair enough, but are we going to get reimbursed for the bottled water we need to buy or electricity for the boiling of the water? Even my dog and cat are on bottled water ...

So I would have no problem "fighting the system" on this, but I am renting. And I like my landlord, and he would more than likely be liable.

So fellow Rossies (you can probably tell from that I am a blow in), as the county with most likely the worst water in Ireland, what is going to happen with you and water charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

The thought of paying water charges for un clean water disgusts me, even a reduced rate. The argument about it being ok for showering is fair enough, but are we going to get reimbursed for the bottled water we need to buy or electricity for the boiling of the water? Even my dog and cat are on bottled water ...

So I would have no problem "fighting the system" on this, but I am renting. And I like my landlord, and he would more than likely be liable.

So fellow Rossies (you can probably tell from that I am a blow in), as the county with most likely the worst water in Ireland, what is going to happen with you and water charges?

They'll do what they always do. Moan, whinge and PAY as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

misplaced priorities in the council

huge new office building in Ros town.

no drinking water in a lot of areas.

A friend of my wife is involved in the rebuilding of the water treatment plant at the centre of the boil water issue.

She has been instructed that the plant MUST be up and running before the end of the year, in other word in operation and producing clean water before the first bills land on the doorstep.

They know that there will be a real risk of a revolt if the water is still undrinkable when the bills arrive.

dolanbaker wrote: »
    A friend of my wife is involved in the rebuilding of the water treatment plant at the centre of the boil water issue.

She has been instructed that the plant MUST be up and running before the end of the year, in other word in operation and producing clean water before the first bills land on the doorstep.

They know that there will be a real risk of a revolt if the water is still undrinkable when the bills arrive.

its a wonder they don't delay this by election until then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    its a wonder they don't delay this by election until then

That would be against the law.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    That would be against the law.

really? what is the maximum period a seat can remain unfilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Well the first thing you can do to register a protest is vote against the party that signed up for Water Charges (Fianna Fail) and the parties that introduced them (FG/Lab). People whinge about water quality and charges yet they voted in droves for Fianna Fail in the recent local elections despite FF being in control of Roscommon County Council. Very Bizarre

Lack of alternatives really.
    Ireland has always been a two party state more or less

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Customers who live in areas where the water is unfit for human consumption will not pay any water supply charge, once a boil water notice has been in place for at least 24 hours. However, they will continue to be charged for waste water services.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0930/648862-water-charges/

At least that is something

for how long?
    will they pay the electricity bills for the kettle?

• Advertisement

I was emailed a bill the other day which stated that they'll take the money by direct debit in the first week in May.

So I phoned and cancelled the direct debit.
    I'm very annoyed to receive a bill and the boil notice is still in force. :mad:

I was emailed a bill the other day which stated that they'll take the money by direct debit in the first week in May.

So I phoned and cancelled the direct debit.
    I'm very annoyed to receive a bill and the boil notice is still in force. :mad:
    Just an update to confirm that I did indeed receive a refund.

Boil water notice is still in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,008 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You already pay for your water from your motor tax, VAT and VRT.

You already pay for your water from your motor tax, VAT and VRT.
    Exactly!!!

Advertisement