Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Visa questions

• 27-04-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Perhaps someone might have some feedback on this matter.

I am currently looking at the possibility of going over to Japan to teach later in the year. As I am over 30, I would have to get visa sponsorship as opposed to the working holiday visa.

Going to Japan was something I was considering about 4 years ago and I secured a position with a well known teaching recruitment organisation. It's one of those companies that source people for public schools but only tell you the location about 3 weeks prior to the commencement of the position. Anyway, the upshot is that when they offered me the position, I wasn't that happy with the location and a number of other issues, so I declined the position, all very amicable.

The company had applied for a visa for me. It was probably the working holiday visa as I was under 30. I presume so, but I can't quite remember. Anyway, I received the Certificate of Eligibility which I would have had to exchange for the visa at the Japanese embassy in Ireland. But obviously it didn't come to that.

Anyway, my question is 'Do you think I would have any issues when applying for a visa this time, given that I have been granted a visa in the past'?

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thank you!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hmmm, it's not a good question. I've never actually heard of your situation before and I've heard of a LOT of different visa experiences! I can't really imagine that it would be an issue and if you get questioned on just tell them your reasons for not going before. It would have been a regular working visa that the company would have applied for for you regardless of your age at the time.

Best bet is to just contact the embassy and ask them straight out. As I say I can't imagine it would be a problem but post again when you find out as it's an interesting situation! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

AutumnLady wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyway, my question is 'Do you think I would have any issues when applying for a visa this time, given that I have been granted a visa in the past'?

Thank you!!!!

The recruiting season is way past for this year as most companies are advertising in December, January,February, the late comers in March have a possibility with a start date for April in the schools. The review of late overseas applications comes again during the summer with starting dates set for September. The above is just a guide and not set in stone.

What is set in stone is immigration. You will need a job to get a working visa. It doesn't matter what spin you have had in the past as you have nothing stamped in your passport to say you entered the country. Unless the visa you were granted is still valid, you are free to enter the country on that visa

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

AutumnLady wrote: »

Thank you!!!!

As you didn't take the visa, it shouldn't be an issue. If you have a company willing to employ you and do the visa paperwork again, it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Quick question. I am a student going to a conference in Sapporo in Japan. Do I need a VISA or to sort out anything like that before I go? From what I read it seems like I don't need anything.

I will probably have a few more questions on where to go/what to do but will read through the thread first.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Quick question. I am a student going to a conference in Sapporo in Japan. Do I need a VISA or to sort out anything like that before I go? From what I read it seems like I don't need anything.

I will probably have a few more questions on where to go/what to do but will read through the thread first.

Nah, you'll just go in on a tourist visa which is valid for 90 days and requires no applications anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Konata wrote: »
    Nah, you'll just go in on a tourist visa which is valid for 90 days and requires no applications anything :)
    Thanks!!

That is what I read but I really have no idea about Japan and I know nobody that has gone there so really needed someone to confirm. I could have rang the Japan embassy in Ireland but easier to post here. :)

Raoul wrote: »
    Thanks!!

That is what I read but I really have no idea about Japan and I know nobody that has gone there so really needed someone to confirm. I could have rang the Japan embassy in Ireland but easier to post here. :)

No problem! I'm just back (as in a few hours ago haha!) from a year studying there so if you have any more questions at all feel free to ask :)

Advertisement