Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new book on rocommon andnd the volunteers of 1916-1923

Options
  • 16-11-2008 3:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭

there is a new history book out (around €45) dedicated to people of roscommon who fought for independence from 1916-1923. looks very interesting, i am wondering did anyone get it and what do they think of it. i hope its mostly text as oppose to lots of pictures (like judging dev book) i understand that roscommon as oppose to say its neighbours athlone was reasonably active in those days - burning of knockrary (sp) by the black n tans. i understand from prominent td's during this period presented roscommon-leitrim eg harry boland

yours comments would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pflanagan132

You are probably referring to Kathleen Hegarty Thorne's book, "They Put The Flag a-Flyin", launched 2005, and amended 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

while it is a good read, the author was sidetracked by some of her sources
    for instance relations of mine were printed in it , but some of the facts were down right false hence the amentments in 2007 , i lot of people commented that it was anti treaty book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

dennistuam wrote: »
    while it is a good read, the author was sidetracked by some of her sources
    for instance relations of mine were printed in it , but some of the facts were down right false hence the amentments in 2007 , i lot of people commented that it was anti treaty book.

i was often told that the county or prominent parts of roscommon was anti treaty, very pro treaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

the county would have been like the rest of country at the time pro treaty but in the 1930s fine geal took money of the pensioners sounds familiar and dev promised free beef for the poor because he made a tool bag of himself with the economic war with britian and he promised county council houses for supporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Backwardness?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Hate to bump a SERIOUS zombie thread but I was wondering if anyone could scan me a few pages of that book that I need for my Leaving Cert history project?
    I'd buy the book myself if it wasn't so expensive and after doing a search it's not in any of the libraries around here either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

storm2811 wrote: »
    Hate to bump a SERIOUS zombie thread but I was wondering if anyone could scan me a few pages of that book that I need for my Leaving Cert history project?
    I'd buy the book myself if it wasn't so expensive and after doing a search it's not in any of the libraries around here either

Scanning a book and putting it up online would breach copyright. Ask the library to order it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What he said ^^^

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement