Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

• 14-03-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

What do you guys think, they were 0.12 last week and now they've more than doubled in a week, worth a shot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

was thinking the same yesterday but went against it. the irish banks, and the world markets, are still in a big state of upheaval. nationalisation of one of the banks is still a possibility and you have to remember that 20c is still and extremely low share price which shows that there is no confidence in BOI from major players in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Im making a fortune on these banks.
    Without fail, every time the US banks do well. As soon as the Irish markets open, the irish banks follow and vica versa.

Its like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bobbbb wrote: »
    Without fail, every time the US banks do well. As soon as the Irish markets open, the irish banks follow and vica versa.

Noticed the same pattern myself , but didn't do anything about it.

What method are you using to cash in ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    Noticed the same pattern myself , but didn't do anything about it.

What method are you using to cash in ?

Im only buying on the upswing. Obviously no shorting the banks anymore.
    When the US closes with big gains in the banks, I check the news in the morning. If there is no bad news, then im buying (50/50 on AIB and BOI shares) on opening and selling at about 1pm, no matter if i think it will keep going up or not.
    Then rinse and repeat.
    Its been very profitable so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Cantoris

Smcgie wrote: »
    What do you guys think, they were 0.12 last week and now they've more than doubled in a week, worth a shot?

The world economies and financial systems are still a mess. some highly respected people saying it's still going to get worse and others that it'll get better. Who knows. What we do know is cash is king. The best time to buy will be when there is a two or three month period of sustained growth, no really bad news, spreads falling etc etc. Some sign that the whole system is correcting itself and the fear driving the prices down has subsided. There is going to be massive upside out of ths turmoil and if I miss 20% of the upside, still means I get 80% of it. Sounds good to me and don't need to call the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Eventually they will be worth a punt but not for a long time yet imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thebang

First of all this should be moved to the other forum.

Secondly in response the above statement- this makes little (common) sense. The only thing I can sense from current prices is the prospect of nationalisation is likely. If you have good reason to think otherwise, you know something most people dont. Ergo, if they are worth having a punt on in the future, they are worth having a punt on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Im not buying to hold.
    Im buying because irish bank shares follow whatever happens in the US without fail lately.

Buy after a rally in the US and sell later that day. Working out 100% so far for me.

The first day i lose money doing this is the day i stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

thebang wrote: »
    First of all this should be moved to the other forum.

Secondly in response the above statement- this makes little (common) sense. The only thing I can sense from current prices is the prospect of nationalisation is likely. If you have good reason to think otherwise, you know something most people dont. Ergo, if they are worth having a punt on in the future, they are worth having a punt on now.

Actually it makes perfect common sense.

Like yourself I have no idea what way this is going to go....They could be nationalised, they might not. When this global mess starts to sort itself out and people start regaining confidence in the banks and the Irish economy and if BOI avoids nationalisation then it is a sensible long term punt. Im not talking about buying it and selling it three days later to make a quick buck...Im talking buy and hold.

At the moment its a big gamble imo and I prefer to save my gambling for the bookies....just because I might miss the initial surge doesnt mean there is no value there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ppthink

Wouldnt touch them.Dropped to 12 cent and up today to 50 (B of I). Culd drop like a stone. U.S. financials on the decline today so expect Ireland to follow on Monday.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 norming09

Hay I was wondering could anyone give me some advise.

I have bought some Bank of Ireland Shares purchased at around .60 and .30, but i have say 5k, to play around with which i would like to invest.

I am absolutely cutting my throat that I didnt purchase the shares at .12 :(, will they drop that low again does anyone recon? and would it worth investing 5k in them if they did? or are they on the increase now?:confused:

norming09 wrote: »
    Hay I was wondering could anyone give me some advise.

I have bought some Bank of Ireland Shares purchased at around .60 and .30, but i have say 5k, to play around with which i would like to invest.

I am absolutely cutting my throat that I didnt purchase the shares at .12 :(, will they drop that low again does anyone recon? and would it worth investing 5k in them if they did? or are they on the increase now?:confused:

They may yet be worth nothing.
    I dont think buy and hold is not the best strategy with the Irish banks.
    If i were you i would sell now and stay away from the banks.
    The only possible reason to buy banks is to turn them fast and take a quick profit if you can. Certainly not to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭iDontReallyCare

They may yet be worth nothing.
    I dont think buy and hold is not the best strategy with the Irish banks.
    If i were you i would sell now and stay away from the banks.
    The only possible reason to buy banks is to turn them fast and take a quick profit if you can. Certainly not to keep.

I'd agree. Take a quick punt and get the hell out.

O i agree im not doing it for the long term like.

If i invested 5k @ .30 thats 16,666 shares and i could sell them again then if they up

but sur no one knows really:cool:

ya but they prob wont fall back down under .20 again that was my chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ppthink

Didn`t take any notice of that before.
    There are going to be plenty more ups and downs over the next year.
    get in and get out.
    What company or ste do you use to trade.
    I use Davy but i cant buy and sell on the same day.
    Very annoying! Especially the U.S.

I use Davy aswell, i suppose in and out quick is the thing now really.

Im only a beginner in these stock markets so ive never bought and sold in one day im only starting off with 5k of my saving i just hope i dont bloody loose it, its the only way i can see now of making money really i duno if im being silly or not

Does anyone know how to make a quick for pounds if you were to invest say 5k or 10k to get a quick return whats the best shares to buy , i dont want anything long term im just talking like a couple of weeks or months id appreciate advice on this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

norming09 wrote: »
    ya but they prob wont fall back down under .20 again that was my chance

There's an old saying that should be listened to here.... do not try to catch a falling knife.

If you really want to make a quick buck (or at least try to) then you may as well make a punt on it. BOI closed around 52c today I think, big swings aren't too uncommon at the moment. Time it right and you could easily be up 10,20 or 30% in a day. Of course you could just as easily go down as much.

Unless it's money you can honestly say you don't care if you lose, you might wanna keep it in your pocket.

• Advertisement

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0f609f0a-17db-11de-8c9d-0000779fd2ac.html

http://www.ft.com/markets

Check the news before the irish markets open in the morning.
    And check whats happening in the Asian markets.

Then decide whether to take a punt or not.

make sure you are out by about 3pm though if you do go in on the banks. They seem to always go mad at around 3pm. And start with small amounts to test your theories. Its gambling.

If anyone bought this morning sell now.
    Citigroup and Bank of America are down in pre-market trading.

If you sell now you will have gained. I made over 8% on BOI and lost about 3% on AIB when i bailed out.

If you spread 50-50 in each you have a nice profit, so take it.

If you are thinking of holding til later, i wouldnt advise it.

If - unlike me - you had been watching this a few hours ago, you would have made a huge profit.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29850347/site/14081545?__source=yahoo|headline|quote|text|&par=yahoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

according to eddie hobbs last week on the radio he advised to get rid of bank shares , but he could be wrong if you bought 1000 shares for 0.12 and sold them in a months time for 1.20 , that would get rid of the depressing feelings for a few days

according to eddie hobbs last week on the radio he advised to get rid of bank shares , but he could be wrong if you bought 1000 shares for 0.12 and sold them in a months time for 1.20 , that would get rid of the depressing feelings for a few days

Hes right. (and he should have advised people to get rid of property in Cape Verde too :) )
    Long term you just dont know what will happen with the banks.

But if you follow the US and invest here on a day to day basis there is money to be made.

Since Christmas i have made over €24,000 with a float of €10,000 day trading the Irish banks and following the US. Its going along according to plan so far, but if i get it wrong im out of it until things start showing a pattern again.

be very careful i know people who lost everything in boi shares, and these people had money and no debts just investing the nest egg, look at it this way it could be in a paper tomarrow that brian goggin lent himself millions from boi ,then your shares are worthless, thats the chance you take

be very careful i know people who lost everything in boi shares, and these people had money and no debts just investing the nest egg, look at it this way it could be in a paper tomarrow that brian goggin lent himself millions from boi ,then your shares are worthless, thats the chance you take

Its only play money that i can afford to lose if it turns sour. I dont go over the €10,000 float ever, so i cant lose what i started with at this stage. If i lose anything even once, im out for good. Its very important to put stops right below the closing price from the day before, so if it starts down you will only lose a couple of hundred and not get wiped out if things go bad.

You're right though. I shouldnt really be encouraging people to gamble on here, so i'll keep my market opinions to myself. I would feel guilty if people lost anything because of me.

i bought at 0.155 per share in boi but i intend holding them for a couple of years , they may help me to raise capital for my sme from boi , but irish life and permanent seems to be the only bank share holding its own , or even a decent stakes ,compared to the rest, not getting away from the matter but do you think the government will refloat anglo shares anytime soon ,or how does that work now

i bought at 0.155 per share in boi but i intend holding them for a couple of years , they may help me to raise capital for my sme from boi , but irish life and permanent seems to be the only bank share holding its own , or even a decent stakes ,compared to the rest, not getting away from the matter but do you think the government will refloat anglo shares anytime soon ,or how does that work now

I think anglo are finished. i dont think anyone who invested money in them will see it again.

A friend of mine advised everyone he knew to invest everything they had in BOI when the share price went below €10. Claimed he had done all the research and it was undervalued at that.

He himself invested €100,000 in it at that price. Undervalued indeed. :eek:
    Another friend followed his advice and invested €7,000.

Buy and hold in financials is just dangerous these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

If you are waiting for the papers for news on shares you are in the wrong bis.
    You need to know whats up well before the papers are out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Hes right. (and he should have advised people to get rid of property in Cape Verde too :) )
    Long term you just dont know what will happen with the banks.

But if you follow the US and invest here on a day to day basis there is money to be made.

Since Christmas i have made over €24,000 with a float of €10,000 day trading the Irish banks and following the US. Its going along according to plan so far, but if i get it wrong im out of it until things start showing a pattern again.

What if you had just put that 10k on BOI when they were 12/15 and checked it often what would would you have.

Advertisement