Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I Hate Football

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I Was VB wrote: »
    Why do us non-football fans have to endure the endless ****e that will be forced down our necks???

I dont care if the goal keeper person from Manchester Rovers is playing for Inter-Pool, so stop gicking on about it!!!

You could always change the channel or turn the tv off, perhaps watch a film, read a book or play a game or do one of about a million other things and let us enjoy the greatest show on earth in peace. If you don't care about something why don't you just use that wonderful invention called the remote control, nobody is forcing you to care about the most popular sport in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I hate football too. Watching overpaid primadonnas fall crying to the ground every time they don't get their own way is not my idea of fun. It's a ghey sport but not many people have caught on to the fact yet. Rugby for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Confab wrote: »
    I hate football too. Watching overpaid primadonnas fall crying to the ground every time they don't get their own way is not my idea of fun. It's a ghey sport but not many people have caught on to the fact yet. Rugby for me.

Oh yeah, football is much gheyer than the sport where they spend half the time with their heads up each other ar$es :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

wylo wrote: »
    Get over it lads, the WC (obviously this is whats stemming the rant) is the biggest sporting event in the world, and arguably the biggest event internationally of all time. Despite a select few countries it captures the interest of the whole world, from the poorest in Africa to the richest in Europe and everything in between.

The sport is fantastic, you can meet someone in the middle of Europe, South America, Africa, Australia and they will be able to have a kick around. The scarcity of goals is what adds to the sport, it makes each goal ridiculously important.
    It is easily more important and more popular than every other sport in the world.
    If you can appreciate technical and physical skill watch football.

this.

firstly, im gaa to the core, but the world cup is really what makes soccer wonderful as it is where true passion is shown. the players are playin for pride over money. i have little interest in the premiership and other leagues but this and the european championships are the real deal.

i simply cant get how this cant be appreciated. soccer is the one true global game, you can count the number of countries on your hands that rugby is played to a decent level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If you dont like it dont watch it, dont bemoan the enjoyment others get from it either.

Some people cant abide others being happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I don't understand how someone can like a sport, lets say football, then say that the likes of GAA or rugby are 'CRAP!'

A field sport is a field sport, they all take a lot of skill and dedication and embody a lot of passion. How can any of them be a bad thing when they liven up the senses, promote team spirit, competitiveness and get people up off their arses and get active.

Whats worse is that people not liking a particular sport is often down to a faux location snobbery.
    Ffs, if you like sport there's no reason why you can't enjoy any of the sports mentioned in this thread as they are all highly entertaining, as millions will attest.

I don't understand how someone can like a sport, lets say football, then say that the likes of GAA or rugby are 'CRAP!'

A field sport is a field sport, they all take a lot of skill and dedication and embody a lot of passion. How can any of them be a bad thing when they liven up the senses, promote team spirit, competitiveness and get people up off their arses and get active.

Whats worse is that people not liking a particular sport is often down to a faux location snobbery.
    Ffs, if you like sport there's no reason why you can't enjoy any of the sports mentioned in this thread as they are all highly entertaining, as millions will attest.

fully agreed..

except for lacrosse.. thats for gheys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I love my soccer, I'd watch any game on the telly, I'd watch most sports but I wouldn't cross the road to watch a hurling or football match. Thats just me. But unlike the op im not dead against it, I know these games take great skill and dedication to play but theyre just not for me, i wont whinge and bítch if all the lads are watching it. Its like Coronation Street, I personally think its a load of bóllocks but I dont go around whinging that its on telly 5 times a week, I simply switch the channel or go do something else.

Fair enough if your not into a particular sport, but dont be one of these anti-sports people who will go out of their way to tell you that all soccer players are pussies and will bítch at you the whole way through a match about how crap the sport is. How about all you people just fúck off for a month ya? Nobody's forcing you lot to watch it or partake in any of it. Dont like it?-fair enough, quit your fúcking bitching and flick the channel.

much of that i would say is less to do with the actual sport and more to do with the perception of those who follow it.

around my parts its fair to say the majority gaa players are from a rural/farming background, soccer players are townies and the rugby boys are the posh fellas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Having just re-read that, I think I need a beer and step away from the laptop :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Anyone who hates football probably tried it in school and was crap at it/never got picked. Such a cruel world it is....

aDeener wrote: »
    mucthe rugby boys are the posh fellas.

You've never been to athlone then

much of that i would say is less to do with the actual sport and more to do with the perception of those who follow it.

around my parts its fair to say the majority gaa players are from a rural/farming background, soccer players are townies and the rugby boys are the posh fellas.

Does that have anything to do with whether a sport is good or bad though? It really isn't about the audience as much as the spectacle

Tbh, RTE doesn't help when outside the games they interview the greatest stereotypes they can find but still, nevermind that and just look at the game

Does that have anything to do with whether a sport is good or bad though? It really isn't about the audience as much as the spectacle

Tbh, RTE doesn't help when outside the games they interview the greatest stereotypes they can find but still, nevermind that and just look at the game

no it has nothing to do with the actual games themselves, just perhaps its an underlying reason why some people who like field sports are completely turned off by others no matter how similar they might actually be

no it has nothing to do with the actual games themselves, just perhaps its an underlying reason why some people who like field sports are completely turned off by others no matter how similar they might actually be

Yeah, agree with you 100%, think it definitely is an underlying reason

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rovert wrote: »
    Lads passing to other lads in the middle of the pitch for the next 29 days. Yippee.

You spend most of your time posting about male actors sweating up against each other while dressed in ill fitting spandex.

I don't think you're in any position to play judge and jury here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I dont follow football at all which is to say i have absolutely no problem with it most of the time and i like the world cup etc. My only problem with it and its not so much a problem with the game as with society... the assumption that every guy follows it really bugs me.
    For example if im in a taxi and conversation runs dry the driver will inevitable ask me "did ya catch the game?" to which ill respond "what game?" because i honestly wouldn't have a clue and the vast majority of the time they'll be stunned by this.

I have no problem with soccer or people passionately following it but i find it strange that people automatically assume i do too simply because im a guy.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You spend most of your time posting about male actors sweating up against each other while dressed in ill fitting spandex.

I don't think you're in any position to play judge and jury here.

Seriously though, don't feed him.

This thread has a limited time span starting now.

If anyone has input now is the time.

/Tick..Tock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Why do us non-football fans have to endure the endless ****e that will be forced down our necks???

I dont care if the goal keeper person from Manchester Rovers is playing for Inter-Pool, so stop gicking on about it!!!

First thing came to my head when I read the OP's post. Homer Simpson asleep at a funeral and he says:

Marge change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

you just want goals and points galore lyk gaa or cricket. you have no capacity to even understand or recognise beautiful sport taking place. its great to watch a team put a string of twenty passes together and even if the end product isnt a goal at least you can apreciate its something they've worked on in training. not just hoofing the ball 50 or 60 yards up the field to whoever wants it. theres plenty of other stuff to watch you just have sucha boring life you felt the need to come on this and start a crappy thread. your outnumbered kid sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

How come arguments between GAA/Rugby v Football always come down to which is more physical and manly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I dont really mind the other peoples enjoyment in the game, diffrent strokes for diffrent folks and all that.

But where it does get a bit overwhelming is every ad break has somthing to do with the world cup and what not.

And its not a manly sport, loada fella's running up and down a field kicking a bit of leather, while being paid massive amounts and being bought by other rival teams for even more amounts of money.

To be honest football is a business not a sport.

And its not a manly sport, loada fella's running up and down a field kicking a bit of leather,

So if soccer, rugby, GAA, American Football and Aussie Rules amongst others aren't manly sports (because they all fall into your category above) then what are?
    To be honest football is a business not a sport.

Name me a sport that isn't a business in some shape or form.

So if soccer, rugby, GAA, American Football and Aussie Rules amongst others aren't manly sports (because they all fall into your category above) then what are?

Death hockey?
    Name me a sport that isn't a business in some shape or form.

They all are, some more than others, I doubt that the senior hurler for Longford gets a bought for the same amount as Beckham to what ever team, probaly not because its about the sport not how much a player gets or how much to go to another team.

They all are, some more than others, I doubt that the senior hurler for Longford gets a bought for the same amount as Beckham to what ever team, probaly not because its about the sport not how much a player gets or how much to go to another team.

GAA players get their fair share of 'expenses' and do well enough for an amateur sport.

If it were professional then I don't see any reason why club football and hurling wouldn't got the same way as soccer, albeit on a smaller scale, given that there is already player movement.

GAA players get their fair share of 'expenses' and do well enough for an amateur sport.

If it were professional then I don't see any reason why club football and hurling wouldn't got the same way as soccer, albeit on a smaller scale, given that there is already player movement.

But thier main source of money will never be selling Longford Hurling pencil cases, jerseys, Longford Hurling TV.

Unlike all the other ****e a Football team puts thier name to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

But thier main source of money will never be selling Longford Hurling pencil cases, jerseys, Longford Hurling TV.

I don't know why.

What a vast untapped market that would exploit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Anyone who hates football probably tried it in school and was crap at it/never got picked. Such a cruel world it is....

There's a huge difference between playing a sport and just sitting there watching other people play it. How would you feel about watching other people play video games (top level gamers :D let's say)? Personally I'd find it quite boring. I'd much rather be having the actual fun myself, you know :rolleyes:.
    How come arguments between GAA/Rugby v Football always come down to which is more physical and manly?

Because a lot of men are pathetic enough that they watch sport mostly to help them form a more masculine identity. These are probably the same men who drink beer despite not liking the taste (again to look manly and fit in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

How can the OP hate possibly hate football ? The Cork v Kerry match was amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I don't watch football for fear of having the tits bored clear off me, and then where would I be?

Bored, and with no tits, that's where.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement