Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Foetus misdiagnosis'

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

there will be NO sanction or sackings over this.to say it was the scanning machines fault is b***x as they continued using it for six months after.
    this will be forgotten in a few days because as bad as this story is,we irish just accept that these things happen.
    there will be no marches or protests outside h.s.e. offices or harneys for that matter.the hse and goverment are a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Abigayle wrote: »
    Very much so. I wonder what it was that made her think she should ask someone else? Thankfully she did.

I think a lot of people would just accept what is being said to them as gospel truth, as they firmly trust the people that are treating them.

Apparently she had the scan on the Wednesday and no heartbeat was detected, she was asked to come back for a D&C on the Friday and given the abortificant drugs to take the morning of the procedure. She still had morning sickness on the Thursday morning and a friend said she should get it checked out, so she headed to her GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Fair play to that GP he is obviously a better doctor than the eejits in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Given the education they have to go through can you really get a stupid doctor? Maybe a stupidly cocky one that doesn't think to check their work.

Horrible, terrible mismanagement is the problem in our hospitals. We have some of the highest educated people in the country working in them and yet the organisation as a whole is constantly making all kinds of errors which I'm certain our down to the office more than the doctor. While doctors can be tared and feathered we never hear of the managers getting any kinds of reprimands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

"Computer sayz no" and they kill your unborn child....ƒucked up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

ScumLord wrote: »
    Given the education they have to go through can you really get a stupid doctor? Maybe a stupidly cocky one that doesn't think to check their work.

Horrible, terrible mismanagement is the problem in our hospitals. We have some of the highest educated people in the country working in them and yet the organisation as a whole is constantly making all kinds of errors which I'm certain our down to the office more than the doctor. While doctors can be tared and feathered we never hear of the managers getting any kinds of reprimands.

Yes, you can indeed get stupid doctors, just like you can get oustandingly good ones. However, youre dead right that the bureacrats that run the HSE cause a lot of damage due to the anything-for-a-quiet-life attitude they have. Just wait til their the patient in the bed - oh no wait they'd probably all go private!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

there will be no marches or protests outside h.s.e. offices or harneys for that matter.the hse and goverment are a disgrace.

You

obviously

don't

read

the

news

(plenty of links there)

There are, and have been, plenty of people protesting this & there is a lot of anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Two sides to every story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

DubMedic wrote: »

Yeah, the general public's experiences and the HSE circling the wagons.:rolleyes:

True, I'd love to hear it if anyone knows the other story.
    ƒucked up.

Nice :D

It led me to think of writing sh1t as ∫hit :D

What a stupid rule boards has, it only inspires creative ways to bypass it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

While obviously some misdiagnoses are inevitable, particularly with more complex or subtle illnesses, it seems incredible that this mistake was made.

I can't see a date, but if it was early days in the pregnancy then I can see it happening, but the fact that they expected a strong heartbeat seems to suggest that it was far along - how hard is it to tell a living baby from a dead one, once it has a heartbeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't see a date, but if it was early days in the pregnancy then I can see it happening,
    But why push to abort? Why not just let it go for a while instead of ordering an immediate abort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

That's awful but I really don't find it that hard to believe. I had a scan at 8wks pregnant and they didn't find a heartbeat, that was on a Friday. I was told to come back on the Monday for a d&c. On the Monday I asked for another scan before the procedure and grudgingly they agreed, the man who was doing the scan even asked me what I was doing there as there wasn't going to be a change over the weekend. Lo and behold they found a heartbeat. The sonographer just said it's a viable pregnancy and sent me on my way. My son is now 3. That was in UCHG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Did the phrase "international best practices" get trotted out yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

ScumLord wrote: »
    But why push to abort? Why not just let it go for a while instead of ordering an immediate abort?
    If the foetus has died and the woman isn't passing it naturally there is a risk of infection to the mother. That's why they carry out d&cs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm just more petrified for any mothers that may have been made abort healthy children that were alive and well beforehand on the advice of their doctor :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

That's awful but I really don't find it that hard to believe. I had a scan at 8wks pregnant and they didn't find a heartbeat, that was on a Friday. I was told to come back on the Monday for a d&c. On the Monday I asked for another scan before the procedure and grudgingly they agreed, the man who was doing the scan even asked me what I was doing there as there wasn't going to be a change over the weekend. Lo and behold they found a heartbeat. The sonographer just said it's a viable pregnancy and sent me on my way. My son is now 3. That was in UCHG.

oh my goodness! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you know the other side? Because I'd like to know it, if the equipment was too shabby to be detecting heartbeats then it shouldn't have been in operation.
    While obviously some misdiagnoses are inevitable, particularly with more complex or subtle illnesses, it seems incredible that this mistake was made.

I can't see a date, but if it was early days in the pregnancy then I can see it happening, but the fact that they expected a strong heartbeat seems to suggest that it was far along - how hard is it to tell a living baby from a dead one, once it has a heartbeat?

Apparently it was at 8 weeks, you should be able to see a heartbeat on a sonogram at that point, but possibly not hear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Heard it today and was pretty chilled.

I wondered how many times it had happened before but the parents had just taken their word for it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

my goodness , you were lucky . Interestingly , a member of my own family was advised to terminate as the babys heartbeat was very weak .... I only found out AFTER she had gone ahead and terminated on the doctors advice .... apparently in a lot of countries , this is very common , doctor reckons the heartbeat is weak and advises termination , shocking yes , outdated yes .Sent red flags up in my mind , but i did not want to distress the woman further , after all she had done as the doctor advised .She was 8 weeks pregnant .

• Advertisement

If the foetus has died and the woman isn't passing it naturally there is a risk of infection to the mother. That's why they carry out d&cs.

Please tell me that 'passed' isn't the correct word in this situation :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Front page of today's Irish Times, seems it's not a once-off case and it's not limited to Drogheda.

Second baby scan error in Galway

EITHNE DONNELLAN and JAMIE SMYTH

DETAILS OF a further case in which a woman was wrongly told she had miscarried her baby when in fact she was still pregnant emerged yesterday. The Irish Times has learned that a mother from the Athenry area of Co Galway was told she had miscarried when she presented for a scan to a doctor who works at Galway’s University College Hospital.

Full story.

Shocking stuff altogether, but not surprising since it's the HSE we're talking about here.

My thoughts are with those women up and down the country who are probably traumatised tonight having gone through the same experience, but who are now unsure as to whether or not they actually miscarried. I can only imagine how they feel.

What is interesting is that the unborn have a right to life under the Constitution - this is a bigger deal here than it would be in other countries, since we don't have abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

What is interesting is that the unborn have a right to life under the Constitution - this is a bigger deal here than it would be in other countries, since we don't have abortion.

Indeed, that's the first thing I thought of when I heard this story.

Only problem is, there is no way of proving whether or not any other women in the same position who took the abortive drugs had or hadn't miscarried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Where the fuck do these morons get their qualifications from, a fucking Frosties packet? This is a bigger worry then NAMA tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That place is always in trouble. Sure isn't it the same hospital that was giving out free hysterectomies with every C-Section? :rolleyes:
    I heard the word butchers used in reference to the place back in the late 80's. People in Dundalk were going to Holles Street.

What is interesting is that the unborn have a right to life under the Constitution

No, you don't understand.

It's alright when the institutions engage in practices that can possibly result in a technical procedure known as an abortion, then it's called an administrative by-product, or a technicality that certainly wont happen again.

However, when the people request abortion it's morally reprehensible, indecent, out of place, most egregious...

I'm sure you would have picked up on this method of governance from Sir Humphrey Applebey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Very much so. I wonder what it was that made her think she should ask someone else? Thankfully she did.

I think a lot of people would just accept what is being said to them as gospel truth, as they firmly trust the people that are treating them.
    It's one of those times when only a mother knows.

Like this lady's story...
    So glad to hear that he's alive and well, destined to do great things :)
    Yeah, this is the correct polite term. If you wanted to be scientific you could say expell but tbh that sould of it turns my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

To listen to them last night on Primetime talk about this being such a rare occurrence.
    No, the rare ****ing occurrence was that they got bloody found out.

Seriously, this hospital should be shut down. It's abysmal, and I would much
    rather take my chances on the outside as opposed to going there to
    get ****ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Can't really think of any other word that doesn't sound either cold and clinical or just plain insensitive.

Advertisement