Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Foetus misdiagnosis'

Options
  • 08-06-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Can you believe this story? Incredible.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0608/redmondm.html
    The Health Service Executive has set up a helpline after a pregnant woman was given a misdiagnosis at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda that could have resulted in the death of her baby.

Melissa Redmond was told that her foetus was dead when in fact it was alive.

Mrs Redmond was given an abortive drug but decided to seek a second opinion that found no problem with her pregnancy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Was just listening to it in the background, shocking stuff. Thank God the mother wanted a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i didnt watch the video..too lazy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Can you believe this story?

HSE was in the first sentence, so yes.

Honestly, they are the enemy within.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Archeron

This thread title could be a college motto.

Shocking stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Fucking hell, that is unreal. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Crazy stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Archeron wrote: »
    This thread title could be a college motto.

Shocking stuff though.

Yeah sorry, I couldn't think of a title so I took it from the article.

"Recommendations included training junior doctors in the 'correct methodology of scanning for early pregnancy' and a consultant is engaged in a process of verification with all junior doctors involved in scanning to ensure their competency."

Its quite worrying that that wasn't already the procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

Jesus Christ, the Health System here just keeps on getting better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Woah:eek:

Imagine telling the kid that story when they grow up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

That place is always in trouble. Sure isn't it the same hospital that was giving out free hysterectomies with every C-Section? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

I'm kind of curious about the 'abortive drug' (and completely disinterested in the abortion debate). Was it actually administered to the mother in the hospital or was it just handed to her and she got a second opinion before taking it? I would imagine a (fully qualified) doctor would have to be pretty damn sure the foetus was actually dead before prescribing something 'abortive'. Either way, they're all very lucky the child survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Abigayle wrote: »
    That place is always in trouble. Sure isn't it the same hospital that was giving out free hysterectomies with every C-Section? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking the same! What kind of idiots are they employing there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

In before the abortion debate starts....

Shocking stuff! I would personally blame the equipment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Very highly paid idiots.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yes I'd believe it.. it happened in the Lourdes hospital, which has a long history of major fcukups. It's a miracle the place is still open

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055833487

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Those morons in the HSE never cease to amaze me with their stupidity!

One of many of their 'faux pas's too. They had to make a massive pay-out to one of my friends neighbours a few years back, because of mis-judgements that were made by the doctors. The baby was starved of oxegen and it caused massive brain damage.

It's also gotten some stick for the cleanliness of the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Jayus Christ.
    I wonder just how many other misdiagnoses have there been? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Before the slagging starts I just thought i would say we found this hospital to be great with our kids.

However i agree this is mystifying and a worry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Abigayle wrote: »
    One of many of their 'faux pas's too. They had to make a massive pay-out to one of my friends neighbours a few years back, because of mis-judgements that were made by the doctors. The baby was starved of oxegen and it caused massive brain damage.

It's also gotten some stick for the cleanliness of the hospital.

oh no how awful! :(

I can't imagine being as vigilent as the mum in the story though....wasn't she so right to get a second opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

This is just disgusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Yes I'd believe it.. it happened in the Lourdes hospital, which has a long history of major fcukups. It's a miracle the place is still open

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055833487

+ a billion

I can't imagine being as vigilent as the mum in the story though....wasn't she so right to get a second opinion!

Very much so. I wonder what it was that made her think she should ask someone else? Thankfully she did.

I think a lot of people would just accept what is being said to them as gospel truth, as they firmly trust the people that are treating them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Give that kid a crayon and tell him write down 6 numbers between 1 and 49.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

bonerm wrote: »
    HSE was in the first sentence, so yes.

Honestly, they are the enemy within.

Is this what you mean?
    The HSE is frequently portrayed by the Irish media as an inefficient, top-heavy, bloated and excessively bureaucratic organisation defined by cronyism, budget overruns and an excessively "manager-oriented" culture where middle management and consultants' demands are prioritised over adequate service provision.[4][5]

Additionally, the organisation has been involved in a number of serious health scandals, relating to cancer misdiagnoses.[6] [7] The HSE has also been the subject of criticism for cutbacks, service cancellations and overall stinginess.

The organisation was the subject of an Irish high court ruling in September 2008 stating it was in breach of contract over a reduction in payments made to pharmacists for dispensing drugs under various State schemes. If repayments are mandated, the HSE faces a bill of over €50 million.[8]

In late September 2008, the HSE was also criticised for not anticipating costs and deteriorating economic circumstances, which it claims as the cause of the cancellation of a Flu vaccination scheme for people aged over 50, with the Irish Medical organisation accusing the HSE of "incompetence and acting irresponsibly".[9]

In March 2010 it emerged that 58,000 X-Ray radiographs had not been reviewed by a consultant radiologist. [10]

In the same month, the Irish Medical Organisation stated that patients awaiting a HSE medical card were waiting up to six months to receive their card, and that their health was being put at risk as they could not afford medicines that they would have otherwise obtained had they received their card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Service_Executive
    That sounds atrocious.

If this was private healthcare I doubt this would happen.

I definitely do not support privatization of public healthcare but the fact that the organization is not run with the efficiency of a private organization tells you how the general public is viewed to a great extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I can imagine... "But I can feel it kicking!" "That just means it's really dead."

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

I'd imagine there's a quite a few women who had scans there now wondering if they should have got a second opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I'd imagine there's a quite a few women who had scans there now wondering if they should have got a second opinion

Don't worry, they've set up a helpline to deal with such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Don't worry, they've set up a helpline to deal with such things.

"Now just hold the phone to your stomach and we can double check the diagnosis... Oh you hear that?"

"No?"

"Yeah me neither. You had better get your vaccum cleaner"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sack and name and shame the incompetent staff involved.

edit, that won't happen, our HSE are much better at cover ups than direct proper action.

Advertisement