Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic News

• 11-03-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

For posting of articles related to Magic etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Limerick priest condemned by fellow clergy as magician duo win talent show

A CITY priest's criticism of the inclusion of magic in a fundraising talent show was condemned by his fellow clergy members at the weekend as the performing sisters won the competition in Crescent College Comprehensive.
    Fr Terence O'Connell was at the centre of controversy last week as he appeared on papers and national radio stations criticising the school for allowing two magicians to take part in the show, which was raising funds for the Limerick Diocesan Pilgrimage to Lourdes.

"I couldn't support any kind of magic, especially if its running concurrently with an event that is predominantly Christian," said Fr O'Connell. The St Patrick's curate also told the parish priest of Our Lady of Lourdes, Fr Damian Ryan, on RTE's Liveline that he should question his priesthood for supporting any kind of magic.

A very large audience attended the talent show in the Dooradoyle school on Friday evening, including a large number of priests from Limerick, one of whom apologised for any confusion over the Catholic Church's views on magic.

"I'd like to apologise sincerely for the total misinterpretation of the church's script," said curate in Raheen, Fr Eamon Fitzgibbon. "I hope there was no distress caused to any of the performers or organisers of the show because you're all wonderful people."

The Crescent talent show proved to be a huge success on Friday night with the sizeable attendance generating almost €5,000 to send young helpers to Lourdes on the pilgrimage.

Article HERE

Spidey is about much more than the tricks. The 22-year-old magician, mentalist and hypnotist practices what he calls "social magic."

Social magic is a concept the Montreal performer has been tinkering with for years. He draws on his understanding of psychology and sociology to quickly forge a tight bond with the complete strangers he is entertaining. He sets a convivial mood, gains their trust and reacts according to their reactions, with a hybrid of magic, mentalism and hypnosis.

Okay, it's also about the skills.

"But a magic trick isn't just a trick," Spidey said during a recent interview. "It's a display of personality."

Spidey (a.k.a. Bedros Akkelian) grew up in Cartierville and Town of Mount Royal. He learned his first magic trick when he was 4 years old, but it's never been just about the magic. He has a passion for performing.

Spidey also began playing piano at age 4 and grew up to complete a music degree at McGill University. His love of music is reflected in the show, which features musical guests: Arabic bongo player Marco (a.k.a. Mr. Tam Tam) and Yvan Le, a 16-year-old deaf pianist with electronic Cochlear implants.

Spidey heard Le play for the first time three weeks ago and was blown away by his talent.

"I know piano," Spidey said, "and he is amazing."

When Spidey isn't doing corporate shows or performing at a Club Med somewhere, he's working on a sociology degree at Concordia University and preparing for the April launch of his two-disc DVD The Art of Attraction.

One disc focuses on how to successfully interact with the opposite sex. (Spidey is a huge fan of the seduction guru Zan Perrion.) The second disc teaches basic magic skills - the logic being if you combine both sets of skills, you will become a force to be reckoned with.

"My whole fascination with the development of the social magic theory started with my interest in learning how to flirt well," Spidey said. He quickly pointed out that flirting can be a harmless way to interact with strangers and that he has a steady girlfriend.

Spidey honed his magic skills performing for children (Spidey was his nickname during five summers working as a counsellor at a TMR day camp and it's stuck.)

He eventually added mentalist elements to his show - his idol is the impressive British mentalist/hypnotist Derren Brown - and began working on hypnosis techniques when he was attending Marianopolis College.

Hypnosis is the main focus of the Out of My Mind show, although Spidey promises a grand finale involving a major magic trick. Please note that the show has a 15+ rating and is not suitable for young children.

Surrendering to the magic is not everybody's cup of tea, and Spidey has sparred with his share of hecklers over the years.

"I just ask them to appreciate what I'm trying to show them," he said.

"I don't mind skeptics. I mind people who are rude."

He also has a secret a weapon - a killer card trick he demonstrated during the interview - which never fails to impress even the toughest of critics.

Article HERE

Illusionist on benefit was well enough to lie on bed of nails

Magician Nigel Hardman may have dazzled audiences with his illusions but he failed to trick fraud investigators that he was too ill to work.

Hardman drew incapacity benefit but, billed as Prince Razaq, burst out of straitjackets, lay on a bed of nails and swallowed swords.

He also raked in thousands in council tax and housing benefits while his stage act - which included sawing his wife in half - was so good it won a TV talent contest.

Digby Johnson, defending, said: "He found he had a natural bent for dangerous forms of entertainment and became quite adept at it."
    Advertisement
    Click here to find out more!

But investigators saw past the smoke and mirrors and Hardman, 40, admitted 11 fraud charges yesterday. Blackpool magistrates heard he falsely claimed £18,000 while earning £10,000 a year. They told him to wear a tag for six months and observe a night curfew.

The ex-civil servant, of Kirkham, Lancs, also ran a limo business. But after a series of setbacks he clocked up debts of £100,000.

Article HERE

Advertisement