Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MayDay DISGRACE!!!

• 20-04-2004 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Archvillain

I've long since left behinf the flag waving trotism of my salad days but I have to say I'm totally sickened by all this bilge all over the media about Dublin being ravaged by psychotic anarchists on May 1st.
    As everyone who knows any of teh facts will tell you, people go to protest against actual problems, they go there with agendas and intelligent arguments. However media watchers and police focus horribly on the supposed 1% who only turn up to cause trouble.
    And who would these be? The police is who. I've seen this first hand countless times, believe me. I'm not saying there is no problem with protestors, but the vaaaaast majority of incidents, including that famous example in Genoa is designed, plotted and orchestrated by police simply in order to draw attention away from the actual issues at play in modern society. You know the ones... that everyone ignores to talk about the smoking ban....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yes, it's all a conspiracy. The police actively encourage vandalism in order to prolong the war in Iraq, poverty, disease and nuclear armament.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Yes, it's all a conspiracy. The police actively encourage vandalism in order to prolong the war in Iraq, poverty, disease and nuclear armament.:rolleyes:

well actually yes, its been alleged and reported that in Iraq the US coalition authorities got the Iraqi police to fire on protesters who were protesting the closing of an Iraqi newspaper, and this has precipitated the current situation.

in any case, the point made in the original post is very valid.

the majority of protesters are peaceful and come with very intelligent arguements and facts backing their cause.

to think that authorities don't provoke incidents to detract from the real issues and to make the protesters look bad, is naievety in the extreme.

its like the Bush administration that declared anyone who was anti-war to be a hippy and unpatriotic.

Sorry, let me clarify, by police I meant the Gardai. If you honestly believe that the Irish police force have nothing better to do than cause riots you need a psychiatrist. It's called paranoia.
    the majority of protesters are peaceful and come with very intelligent arguements and facts backing their cause.
    Forgive me if I disagree. Most opponents of Globalisation (Naomi Klein included - see the Economist here ) can be shredded in a debate by someone who knows what they're talking about. Read more here .

I disagreed with the Bush administration on the War in Iraq and tbh on practically everything they've done. Yet, I wasn't on the streets. Why? Because to associate myself with most of those that were is something I couldn't bring myself to do. Unfortunately for society, the most vocal protesters are the new age hippys, the anarchists and in general, worthless gob****es of society that to be honest, don't know what they're talking about. They just take their lead from the innoculation against Republicanism (Klein, Moore et al) who offer opinions and 'facts' yet no alternatives.

Yes, the world is in a terrible state. Yes, Bush is an idiot who wouldn't know a bible from a copy of playboy. Yes, global corporations do need to be monitored. Quitting your job, growing your hair, smoking a lot of dope and drawing the dole ain't gonna change it though. There isn't going to be a revolution. There isn't going to be any change until you make it happen.

How do you make it happen? Stop drawing the dole and protesting, get a job, pay tax and contribute to society. Change the system from within. Capatalism and Democracy are flawed but they're the best tools we have. Ultra left wing politics don't work, they help further the problems we have in society just as much as ultra right wing politics do.

Christ, I must be stressed today, that's two rants inside ten minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i disagree, you need protests to,
    1) highlight the problems to society en masse. you'd be surprised just how many people are ignorant of these problems
    2) To show the governments that their citizens disagree with their stance

if problems aren't highlighted they will be swept under the rug, not dealth with...

silently paying your taxes won't "solve" the problem. Not that i'm saying you shoulnd't do that.

I intend to work (after i graduate med school), pay my taxes, and be a law abiding citizen. That doesn't mean that I should stand idly by while exploitation and profiteering are rife...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How do you make it happen? Stop drawing the dole and protesting, get a job, pay tax and contribute to society.
    Seeing as Mayday is on the weekend, protesting and work are perfectly compatible. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Peaceful protesting is fine....

If they start attacking unarmed gardai (by attacking i mean spitting, pushing, throwing objects) or try to gain access to the phoenix park thats when the trouble will start and people will end up getting injured/killed.

It is very easy for even one person out of a group of people to start a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I've no time for these students/anarchists/hippies intent on causing trouble.
    The unfortunate thing is it won't just be the Irish element this time, they'll be coming from all over the world. And if they do start trouble, I hope the Gardai kick the f*ck out of them (even though this is probably what they want, so they can whinge about it afterwards).

Originally posted by Chief---
    try to gain access to the phoenix park
    Hmmm, I wonder how they intend to stop that :)
    It is very easy for even one person out of a group of people to start a riot.
    Ah, come on you should know it legally takes eight to have a riot. ;)

Originally posted by Victor
    Hmmm, I wonder how they intend to stop that :)

Sorry I meant to say Farmleigh or wherever the big dinner for all the Presidents is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I hope the Gardai kick the f*ck out of them

Me too. Remember the Lansdowne riot. I was rivetted infront of the tv watching the guards and security get stuck into the hooligans. Gwan ye good ting!! :D:D

Why are you protesting Sean?

Eh dunno, but all my friends are going loike and loike we'll protect the poor of the world against from all those evil multinational corporations man.......loike.

How exactly will you do that Sean?

Loike throwin stones at big brother policemen and smashin shop windows loike.

I didn't know the hairdressers and newsagents etc shop fronts on ......... street were affiliated with multinational conglomerates?

Roysh whatever loike. So I'll see ya at blackrock Dort roysh....How long does it take to get to Connolly cause I want to avoid tara st....cause I'm sick of steppin over those dirty scumbag beggars outside, fookin vermin those lot are loike

• Advertisement

No, working quietly will not make a difference. Making yourself electable will. My problem with the protests in Ireland are that they're always made up of the same hippy's who seem to nothing but protest. Protesting is a valid form of public expression, yes, but when there's a protest every week/month it's not going to have ANY effect. The media only show the protests at this stage when violence breaks out at them because the vast majority of Irish people seem to feel the same way I do: it's just the same gob****es as last week, whinging about whatever the big topic is this week.

I love this "it only takes a small group of people to create a riot" line that's thrown out all the time. It's utter boll0x. If it was only a small group that acted out it wouldn't be too bloody difficult to arrest/shoot(in an ideal world) them.

You obviously were not watching Aggro on SKy one yesterday. Although i normally hate any show that sky one broadcasts I was glued to this one.

It showed how when groups of people congregate a mob rule can take over based on the actions of only one person.

It showed how when groups of people congregate a mob rule can take over based on the actions of only one person.
    Just look outside Slapper Face Jacks at 2:30am ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I just love this...

"(IndyMedia) advised against violence, but also offered tips on how groups could "de-arrest" people arrested by the gardai" - http://www.thepost.ie/
    but when there's a protest every week/month it's not going to have ANY effect.

All about the same thing?

By the way, what is your problem with students, anarchists, and hippies? (not that I'm any of the listed)
    utter boll0x.

That's what I think of the daily Irish print media pre-Mayday coverage, are the Irish Times the only paper not hyped to the last? I was sickened - rather then the normal laughing - at the Indo compare to the IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

May day is a celebration for workers rights. people should not judge the entire may 1st march because of the actions of dissident anarchists i dont condone violence whether it is violence by the mob or excessive force used by the gardai.The press are scaremongering to incite resentment of the entire movement as a whole. yeats was right when he said"romantic ireland`s dead and gone its with o`leary in the grave"

theres so much neo liberal sentiment on this board these days its unreal next they`ll be suggesting an IBEC day in celebration of how great big business is and how wrong the oridinary worker is. after all having an organisation thats anti worker and is opposed to the minimum wage is what makes this country great:rolleyes:

Students I've no problems with. Anarchists are just idiots. At best anarchy is a naieve ideal, at worst an excuse for violence. New age hippies? Well, I despise the fact they sponge my tax money out of education, the health service and the national budget in general.

If all the protests were about the same thing, it might have some effect on national policy. However, in Ireland the protests are about the flavour of the week whether that be keeping the trees in Eyre Square in Galway, saving the perimeter wall of Cloonacauneen Castle, not allowing American planes to land in Shannon, the war in Iraq, Bush's visit to Ireland, yada yada yada...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If all the protests were about the same thing, it might have some effect on national policy. However, in Ireland the protests are about the flavour of the week whether that be keeping the trees in Eyre Square in Galway, saving the perimeter wall of Cloonacauneen Castle, not allowing American planes to land in Shannon, the war in Iraq, Bush's visit to Ireland, yada yada yada...

Yada, yada, yada. Do you not see the problem here? Is it the act of protest, or that we have to resort to protests?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Yes there are idiot protesters intent on causing trouble. They should be dealt with. Appropriately.

On the other hand, there are many over-enthusiastic Gardai just as hell-bent on some hippy-bashing. These people should also be dealt with. Appropriately.

Sure those lads on Tianamen Square were just all a bunch of vandalising hippies, right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Forgive me if I disagree. Most opponents of Globalisation (Naomi Klein included - see the Economist here ) can be shredded in a debate by someone who knows what they're talking about. Read more here .[/SIZE]
    Klein is hardly a good example of someone who knows a great deal (or realistically, anything at all) about economics and international finance. She may be the poster girl of the "movement" but that's about it. Perfectly fine for the Economist (or anyone else) to take potshots at her obviously - she wrote her books and hence invited criticism of her work and ideas obviosly though. Let's not pretend she knows anything more than anyone else who's ever written a book though.

I'm not going to tackle the issue of globalisation or exploitation in this thread as it's rather off the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Students I've no problems with. Anarchists are just idiots. At best anarchy is a naieve ideal, at worst an excuse for violence. New age hippies? Well, I despise the fact they sponge my tax money out of education, the health service and the national budget in general.

Depends on the anarchist tbh, anarchcy can have many meanings to different people, some just take it to mean a world with out atorithy, which in its self is pretty naieve.Anarchy can also mean a society with more emphasis's on personal responsibilty as oppesed to state control obsessing with controling every aspect of life.There are many theories on anarchy, and in fact some in working practice.The police in holland cant be arsed bout petty theft, as they feel its your responsibilty to secure your own personal belongings.Theft is still a crime and if the theif can be caught they will be dealt with, but at the same time in a country like holland the police want to catch the guys busting up warehouses and carrying out serious crime.

I guess hippies smell tho :D

• Advertisement

Is it the act of protest, or that we have to resort to protests?
    The need to protest is created by people not using their votes wisely, vote for the wrong person and accept the consequences. Do you honestly believe that Fianna Fail give a ****e aboout the protestors views?
    Yes there are idiot protesters intent on causing trouble. They should be dealt with. Appropriately
    I agree, the protestors that are here to cause trouble should have the **** kicked out of them and then be locked up for a long time.
    Klein is hardly a good example of someone who knows a great deal
    My point exactly. It was her book that "educated" the vast majority of the anti-globalisation protesters.
    The police in holland cant be arsed bout petty theft, as they feel its your responsibilty to secure your own personal belongings
    That's hardly a good thing now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Most opponents of Globalisation can be shredded in a debate by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Really? Is that because opponents of globalisation don't know what they're talking about? Or because they're lacking in debating skills? Or because they're wrong?

I hope its not hte latter, because then I'm wondering why the main focus at Davos this year was the problems inherent in globalisation.

It would seem that the proponents fo globalisation have started realising that the opponents of same actually had an awful lot of valid points about problems that need rectifying.

Kinda makes me wonder why these same peopel would be shredded in a debate by someone who knows what they're talking about? You know...I can see it now..."yes, yes, we know that the major globalisation proponents have acknowledged that you have a point...but you're still wrong".

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The only experience I have with mayday protestors are the ones that attacked a local top petrol station with paint. A part from the fact that this station brings employment and money into a highly disadvanaged area, it is also someones lifely hood they tried to destroy. They also came into my community and pissed all over it, what the hell gave them that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

It was her book that "educated" the vast majority of the anti-globalisation protesters.
    Yeah, No Logo was written about protesters who didn't start protesting until they'd read about themselves protesting in No Logo. Obviously.

Susan George from Attac is speaking in Dublin on Mayday. She's got an article about the tactics used to discredit and discourage criticism of globalisation here. Why don't you go along and shred her arguments? And I suggest that instead of wasting your time coming up with incredibly witty insults like "students" and "hippies" you can just use Urban75.com's Instant Tabloid Writer.

"As far as my purely personal preferences went I would have liked to join the Anarchists." George "Idiot" Orwell - Homage To Catalonia.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The need to protest is created by people not using their votes wisely

So people should just sit quietly until the next election and say nothing? Imagine Bertie & Co decided to sell off all of Dublin's hospitals to a private company next week. Should everyone just go "ah well, I won't be voting for them next time an election comes around"?

Protesting isn't in direct opposition of utilising your vote. It's something parallel to it. Protests raise awareness, have visual impact, and allow people to express themselves outside of a ballot box, especially when access to that ballet box isn't available for x amount of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by sceptre
    Klein is hardly a good example of someone who knows a great deal (or realistically, anything at all) about economics and international finance.
    True, but rubbishing Klein (as the first poster did) based on her apparent lack of economic insight is much akin to rubbishing Moore because, well, he's a bit of an asshole. It's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

NoLogo wasn't about economics and it certainly wasn't about offering solutions, as the most prevalant complaint about the book ("this is terrible, but what am I supposed to do") clearly demonstrates.

Perhaps Klein should have tried to offer solutions, perhaps she should have consulted with economists on how to correct the problems with corporate misbehaviour, but it doesn't change the fact that the problems exist, and they're far from trivial.

The Economist is one to talk about balanced opinion by the way. The last few paragraphs seem to suggest that they didn't even read NoLogo. Large corporations may reduce poverty in some circumstances, but at what cost and for how long?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Although I'll begrudge the protestors and call them "smelly hippies" because it's fashionable, I'd never deny anyone the right to protest.

My problem with the Anti-Globalisation/Reclaim the streets type of protest groups is that there is a certain element who go along to these protests with the intention of causing trouble. I'd be pretty sure there are plenty of people who'll travel to Ireland simply to cause the damage under the guise of a riot, and couldn't care less about the issues being protested about. Sure, it wouldn't surprise me if Anto, Jayo, and teh boyez turn up for a good fight with "the filth".

Yet, the organisers shrug their shoulders, and go "Meh, they're only a minority, we don't set out to cause trouble." Which is particularly hypocritical in the case of anarchists organising it. When they don't exercise authority (as is the ideal of anarchy), people abuse it, clearly showing the main flaw in the ideal of anarchy. They even expect these people to come along, giving advice on how to protect yourself in riot situations, yet cry foul when police forces come down heavy-handed, or national media slate them for being nothing but a gang of thugs.
    If they're not willing to try and stop this element from attending their protests, then defence forces are going to have to be heavy-handed, even when intentions are peaceful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

How do you stop them though seamus? I get the impression that they don't because they can't.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Forgive me if I disagree. Most opponents of Globalisation (Naomi Klein included - see the Economist here ) can be shredded in a debate by someone who knows what they're talking about. Read more here .

I just finished reading no logo last night, and now just finished reading that stupid article, There no reason to label Klien as an anti-capitalist or to question the integrety of her book. no logo is heavely noted, all quotes, references and statistics sources are given. where authors like Michael Moore may be criticised for exadurating minor details while adding humour or personality to his writing, Kilen cannot, I found the book to be subjective from the beginning, the lack of humour was a little offputting at first, but only adds to the integrety of the overall work.

How do you know that the economist.com hasn't got a globalisation agenda, here's some quotes from your second link:

"deploring economic “injustice” is no answer"

"Labour comes cheap, and will get cheaper still" (in relation to sweatshops)

"Outsourcing actually sustains American jobs"

Surely if proponents of Globalisation can be shreadded by a -->debate<-- then you will be happy to post a transcript of an actual debate with Klien where she was 'shreadded' instead of a lame one sided article by hardline capitalists who think the cold war's not over :rolleyes: <-- congratulations that's my first ever rolleyes!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Redleslie
    Susan George from Attac is speaking in Dublin on Mayday. She's got an article about the tactics used to discredit and discourage criticism of globalisation here.
    Interesting snippet:
    "Activist pressure groups should place emphasis on legitimising themselves. Where this does not happen, rules establishing their rights and responsibilities should be considered. Business is accustomed to working with trade unions, consumer organisations and other representative groups that are responsible, credible, transparent and accountable, and consequently command respect. What we question is the proliferation of activist groups that do not accept these self-disciplinary criteria."
    This seems entirely reasonable to me.

Advertisement