Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Interesting Thought ?

• 28-05-2014 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

I have a question for the emergency services, especially the Gardai, re: their encrypted communications on tetra.

With the way technology is going now, and the easy access to purchase and install extremely high frequency radio transmitters, is it a possibility for instance that a criminal of a criminal gang can wilfully get arrested for say' drunk and disorderly (faking it obviously) just to plant a radio transmitter bug into a squad-car or special branch car as a way to receive your private communications ?

I'm sure it is, and I wonder if it is already a process under-taken by high-tech criminals already in different districts. Has this scenario been thought of on your part ? as to this intrusion scenario ? I'm just curious that this can easily be done by any-one.

The tetra communications systems are encrypted, and as such cannot be received from any radio scanner, so I am just curious as to know for the Garda security tetra system if this was thought of, because technologically speaking, any-one now can put a transmitter bugging device in any vehicle.

The reason why I ask this question is because I'm curious about data breach in communications regarding this tetra digital system.

Myself and a friend were just pondering on the electromagnetic spectrum as to radio waves and frequencies and we were thinking that this simple thing like bugging vehicles is a real life possibility and of which has already occurred. We are just curious as to a yes or no question if this has happened already ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I have a question for the emergency services, especially the Gardai, re: their encrypted communications on tetra.

With the way technology is going now, and the easy access to purchase and install extremely high frequency radio transmitters, is it a possibility for instance that a criminal of a criminal gang can wilfully get arrested for say' drunk and disorderly (faking it obviously) just to plant a radio transmitter bug into a squad-car or special branch car as a way to receive your private communications ?

I'm sure it is, and I wonder if it is already a process under-taken by high-tech criminals already in different districts. Has this scenario been thought of on your part ? as to this intrusion scenario ? I'm just curious that this can easily be done by any-one.

The tetra communications systems are encrypted, and as such cannot be received from any radio scanner, so I am just curious as to know for the Garda security tetra system if this was thought of, because technologically speaking, any-one now can put a transmitter bugging device in any vehicle.

The reason why I ask this question is because I'm curious about data breach in communications regarding this tetra digital system.

Myself and a friend were just pondering on the electromagnetic spectrum as to radio waves and frequencies and we were thinking that this simple thing like bugging vehicles is a real life possibility and of which has already occurred. We are just curious as to a yes or no question if this has happened already ?.

With regards to comms, you are not going to get any information about it except what you can google yourself, and with good reason.

As for bugging cars etc I don't advise trying to break into a garda vehicle. It tends to end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

I can't see how this could easily be done if someone was to get themselves arrested in order to plant a 'bug'

Once arrested they would be handcuffed and would have limited if any time where they wouldn't be under close observation by one of the guards and even if they did manage to get a moment or two alone and get a bug out of a pocket where would they be able to place it discreetly enough that it would not be found but still able to pick up clear transmissions?

I don't think it is a major concern because the likelihood of it happening and being successful is very small

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

I can't see how this could easily be done if someone was to get themselves arrested in order to plant a 'bug'

Once arrested they would be handcuffed and would have limited if any time where they wouldn't be under close observation by one of the guards and even if they did manage to get a moment or two alone and get a bug out of a pocket where would they be able to place it discreetly enough that it would not be found but still able to pick up clear transmissions?

I don't think it is a major concern because the likelihood of it happening and being successful is very small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Dunno about bugging moving vehicles, could get quite technical and require a decent power source to transmit back to you and with that you may knock out Tetra Communications as it's quite low powered transmission or cause interference.

If you had the knowledge, you could listen in on communications. Nothing is ever 100% secure. An example would be if someone found a Tetra Radio from the Garda network, they could with some work spoof the address onto another unit again not easy put there is no saying it can't be done. Tetra has a lot of fail safes built in, generally password encrypted node to node transmission.

In saying that if you have the intelligence to do this you would also have the intelligence not to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

If recent history has thought us anything it's that the Gardaí would probably be blamed for it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

TallGlass wrote: »
    Dunno about bugging moving vehicles, could get quite technical and require a decent power source to transmit back to you and with that you may knock out Tetra Communications as it's quite low powered transmission or cause interference.

If you had the knowledge, you could listen in on communications. Nothing is ever 100% secure. An example would be if someone found a Tetra Radio from the Garda network, they could with some work spoof the address onto another unit again not easy put there is no saying it can't be done. Tetra has a lot of fail safes built in, generally password encrypted node to node transmission.

In saying that if you have the intelligence to do this you would also have the intelligence not to do it.

If a person found a garda tetra radio, it would still be useless, because the radio that went missing, it's IMEI code would be deactivated and as far as I know, would not be able to receive the encryption signal.

I just thought that with the tech regarding transmitter bugging equipment, it would be easy enough to have it transmit on an extremely high frequency that would not interfere with the tetra radios themselves. It would be a complex set-up to make it work, but not impossible. The tetra digital frequency I think is in the 400 - 450MHZ band. If a bugging transmitter of 10GHZ can be used then it should not interfere with this band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Tell you what lets all discuss how best to bypass your office or home security online?

What time do you leave for work in the morning?

Do you have a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

TinFoilHatAreaOnly.jpg .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Perhaps someone is watching too many James Bond films.

Advertisement