Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

casting weighted goldhead lures

• 31-03-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I'm hoping some of you might be able to give some advice on set up and techniques for casting weighted lures like these:
    http://www.troutflies.co.uk/product.php/105/gold-head-fritz-trout-fly-olive/077bb4a9a55a9e460cfc869175dddc74

I have been using a 12 foot 6lb fluro leader, 6/7 9ft rod with 7 wt floating line and fishing buzzers on a stocked lake and have had a few fish and my casting has been ok (I don't fly fish much and am trying to get up to scratch but I can do basic casts)

I bought a few weighted lures just to try another method however my casting was an absolute joke with the heavy lure on and a lighter mini lure on the dropper. I was getting about a third of the distance and big wide loops.

I was chatting to someone who told me to just slow everything down. I'm wondering would upping the leader to 8 lb help too?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

some times with the heavy lures on like lead heads and gold heads a double haul can help. it gives extra compression in the rod to help get the heavy lure a bit further. although im sure some will pint out the old saying 'some anglers use double hauling to cast their mistakes further'

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks floattuber, yeah I've tried looking up videos on the double haul and had a craic (unsuccesssfully) at it. I seemed to be causing slack on the back cast, hauling too early maybe? In any case I thought I might be better trying to work on practicing the overhead casting a bit more before I move on. I had a couple of lessons when I started out so I think I have a fair idea of what I should be doing (i just need to remind myself now and then!) it's just with the weighted lures I'm struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

its a bit of a complicated thing to put into writing. but your turn over with a weighted lure will not be as good as a lighter fly. so you casting distance would be reduced, dont be too scared of putting a bit of effort in to punching the lure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Handy tip to improve your double hauling is practice with your rod held parallel to the ground.
    You need to shorten your leader to cast weighted flies. Increasing leader thickness will help some but adjusting length is the key.

You need to be careful though when flinging weighted flies about, hat and especially glasses ALWAYS it only takes one wayward cast to ruin everything. I've also seen umpteen rods broken by lures hitting the blank on the forward cast.

its a bit of a complicated thing to put into writing. but your turn over with a weighted lure will not be as good as a lighter fly. so you casting distance would be reduced, dont be too scared of putting a bit of effort in to punching the lure out.

Thanks, yeah will just have to practice

• Advertisement

Auldloon wrote: »
    Handy tip to improve your double hauling is practice with your rod held parallel to the ground.
    You need to shorten your leader to cast weighted flies. Increasing leader thickness will help some but adjusting length is the key.

You need to be careful though when flinging weighted flies about, hat and especially glasses ALWAYS it only takes one wayward cast to ruin everything. I've also seen umpteen rods broken by lures hitting the blank on the forward cast.

Cheers, how short would you recomend? 10 ft or even shorter? The water is never that clear on the lake.

Yeah I caught my rod a couple of times alright, no damage done. To be honest I didn't even know you could actually break the rod that easily. Hah, starting to wonder are these weighted flies more hastle than they're worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Depends on the weight of the thing you're trying to cast, just experiment. I've fished leaders as short as 4 feet before.
    When I say broken rods it's more a case the blank get's damaged and breaks later when playing a big fish! :eek:

Ouch, I'll watch out for that so. Thanks for the tip off

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

I agree about a shorter leader, it will make a big difference. Generally you are fishing these lures across and downstream so you don't need a long leader anyway.
    In addition I have found that a faster action rod is better for casting heavy lures.

Cheers Flyfisher,although I'll be fishing a stockie lake. To be honest I'd say I'll spend more time fishing buzzers though. Just be good to be able to use the lures if needs be. Practice is called for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

mattcullen wrote: »
    Ouch, I'll watch out for that so. Thanks for the tip off

Don't mean to burst ur bubble but if the lure / gold head hits the blank on a few occasions you can be sure ur rod is broken , you will find out when a fish hits u and comes back at u or tests the top of the rod ,tight lines .

madred006 wrote: »
    Don't mean to burst ur bubble but if the lure / gold head hits the blank on a few occasions you can be sure ur rod is broken , you will find out when a fish hits u and comes back at u or tests the top of the rod ,tight lines .

Yeah I’m not sure how hard it would have been hit with the lure (not very hard I’d imagine given that I couldn’t get a decent cast going!) but I recall it catching on the rod ate least once anyhow. I was out yesterday evening fishing with it and caught a fish with no problems (albeit a small one of about 1.5 lb) . So fingers crossed no damage done!

Cheers for all the advice. Was able to use the lures ok after changing to 11 ft of 6 lb maxima and casting back with a side cast and forward with an overhead cast and slowing it all down and just using one fly. Went back to fishing the buzzers in the end though!

Advertisement