Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good lake for early season wet fly fishing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    twas my mates 8 lber made the front of the Irish angler during the summer:) twas a lovely trout he got it stuffed he will probably never seen an 8lber again :D

How much did it cost to stuff the trout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

420 euro mate included the class case and a small engraving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I thought it was much more. Not that I'm interested, the place for a big fish like that is passing on it's genes, if it's a wild fish. I saw a 12lb Trout lately on a deadbait go back, and another 9lb I heard on a lure go back last sun by another Pike angler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Haha each to there own mate if someone wants to keep one i don't mind. i personally wont unless i am eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

thats not bad. i know lads who paid more, a lot more.

• Advertisement

mattcullen wrote: »
    As above, could any one you recomend a good lake for wet fly fishing when the weather picks up? I only ever fly fish a few times a year so wouldn't have the greatest cast. Am thinking wet fly might be a bit more forgiving. I'm Dublin based I should say...any of the midland lakes good for wet fly?
    any advice much appreciated

try lough sheelin. great fish being caught on wets at the moment.
    good fish caught every year on drys to.
    if you need a ghillie contact michael farrell. he guides on the lake and will feed you as well.
    his email is loughsheelinguide@hotmail.com easy to remember!!!
    also he is on discover ireland and that IFI site. you should get his number there.
    if you need it i might be able to get it.
    tight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Maby a FIshery does'nt take that much skill to catch rainbow trout
    You should go to Courtlough Trout fishery look it up on Google

Eriesniper wrote: »
    Maby a FIshery does'nt take that much skill to catch rainbow trout
    You should go to Courtlough Trout fishery look it up on Google

good fishing to be had there. i was there once, a few years back and caught lots of trout. only thing is that it got a bit boring after a while.
    i prefer to fish for wild browns from a drifting boat. not as easy but the days are never long enough!!!

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Corrib, two hours from you. Midland lakes are crap.

have you ever heard of lough sheelin?????? best brown trout lake in ireland if not europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

have you ever heard of lough sheelin?????? best brown trout lake in ireland if not europe.

How is Sheelin best brown trout lake in Ireland just as matter of interest maybe best stocked lake but not brown trout lake , IMO .

• Advertisement

madred006 wrote: »
    How is Sheelin best brown trout lake in Ireland just as matter of interest maybe best stocked lake but not brown trout lake , IMO .

best brown trout fishing in ireland. average weight is about 3lb.......
    it has the largest trout carrying capacity of any lake in ireland, fisheries fact.

best brown trout fishing in ireland. average weight is about 3lb.......
    it has the largest trout carrying capacity of any lake in ireland, fisheries fact.

Well here's another fact this is first year it hadn't been stocked with larger sized fish , so give it few years to see how it holds up to angling pressure and see if the smaller trout are as abundant as the larger ones .

Well here's another fact this is first year it hadn't been stocked with larger sized fish , so give it few years to see how it holds up to angling pressure and see if the smaller trout are as abundant as the larger ones .

well the smaller ones are abundant. i had three fish today that were less than eight inches, they were wild.
    i cant remember the last time i caught a stockie.
    you say it hasnt been stocked with larger fish! how big are these large fish???? a pound, pound and a half????
    it annoys me when people talk of stocked trout in sheelin as if they are all you catch!!!! any regular sheelin angler will tell you that stockies are few and far between. one in a hundred.

do you think the larger stocked fish are why the average weight is 3lb+ in this lake????

well the smaller ones are abundant. i had three fish today that were less than eight inches, they were wild.
    i cant remember the last time i caught a stockie.
    you say it hasnt been stocked with larger fish! how big are these large fish???? a pound, pound and a half????
    it annoys me when people talk of stocked trout in sheelin as if they are all you catch!!!! any regular sheelin angler will tell you that stockies are few and far between. one in a hundred.

do you think the larger stocked fish are why the average weight is 3lb+ in this lake????

Just to clarify I say is was well stocked with larger fish 5- 6 lb and no there is an abundance of feed in the place to bring on smaller fish , but IMO it can't be the best wild brown trout lake in Ireland , or indeed Europe once it's been stocked with old brood stock fish from various fish farms .Good look in your quest to promote it as such .

Just to clarify I say is was well stocked with larger fish 5- 6 lb and no there is an abundance of feed in the place to bring on smaller fish , but IMO it can't be the best wild brown trout lake in Ireland , or indeed Europe once it's been stocked with old brood stock fish from various fish farms .Good look in your quest to promote it as such .

i have caught lots of fish over 5lb, 6lb and heavier. none of them were stockies or grown onn stockies.
    im not trying to promote it "as such" it already is. open any fishing book and sheelin is mentioned in it. why do people keep coming back? the lure of the lake, the possibility of the next trout being the fish of a life time!! blood worm for example, a sheelin phenomenon.....

i have caught lots of fish over 5lb, 6lb and heavier. none of them were stockies or grown onn stockies.
    im not trying to promote it "as such" it already is. open any fishing book and sheelin is mentioned in it. why do people keep coming back? the lure of the lake, the possibility of the next trout being the fish of a life time!! blood worm for example, a sheelin phenomenon.....

It's a stocked fishery :-)

do you disagree with me when i say its the best trout lake in ireland????

do you know what a fishery is????????

do you disagree with me when i say its the best trout lake in ireland????

Yes of course I do it's a stocked fishery and as such cannot be compared to the likes of corrib mask conn , but it had to be stocked in order to save it ,and it's a work in progress and great work at that the smell of it does me I just don't like it .

Yes of course I do it's a stocked fishery and as such cannot be compared to the likes of corrib mask conn , but it had to be stocked in order to save it ,and it's a work in progress and great work at that the smell of it does me I just don't like it .

its like this; a lake cannot be called a fishery unless there is a hatchery on the shore. a lake is NOT a fishery if there is no hatchery there.

the club(LSTPA) have been running the hatchery for years . i dont know how many but i presume its well over ten.
    they have been putting fingerlins, by the hundred thousand, into small streams that flow into the lake. they have spent millions, yes millions of pounds/euros, grants and club money on developing spawning beds in the rivers that flow in and out of the lake. this is the reason why the lake is back from the brink. not stocking!!!!!

and whats the smell you are onn about????

• Advertisement

its like this; a lake cannot be called a fishery unless there is a hatchery on the shore. a lake is NOT a fishery if there is no hatchery there.

the club(LSTPA) have been running the hatchery for years . i dont know how many but i presume its well over ten.
    they have been putting fingerlins, by the hundred thousand, into small streams that flow into the lake. they have spent millions, yes millions of pounds/euros, grants and club money on developing spawning beds in the rivers that flow in and out of the lake. this is the reason why the lake is back from the brink.

You need to chill the word fishery has other meanings ie: woodford fishery coolrain fishery tooman fishery many more are all stocked waters and provide fishing . I'm not nor never did doubt the work that has been done up there but it's been stocked and heavily stocked at that with large fish . Like all anglers each has a preference for where to fish you obviously love Sheelin and good for you , but I'm not in agreement with you as to it been best lake in Europe . And maybe in few years it will be but it has a way to go yet , tight lines :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

When he said midland lakes, that to me ment the lakes around mullingar and athlone, not cavan, personally ive never consider sheelin as a midland lake so keep calm.

they have been putting fingerlins, by the hundred thousand, into small streams that flow into the lake. they have spent millions, yes millions of pounds/euros, grants and club money on developing spawning beds in the rivers that flow in and out of the lake. this is the reason why the lake is back from the brink. not stocking!!!!!

Your are correct about the stocking with mature fish it's a waste of time, they disapear and dont spawn, its proven.
    All the trout I caught this season so far about 40-50 have been wild.
    As you say the reason the lake has come back is the work of the lstpa without them and them alone the lake would be in a poor state.

Alarmingly the IFI actually allow for 'anglers' to kill three fish each per day which in this day and age is just madness. Just shows how far off the pace they are.

Killing wild trout should not be allowed on this lake.

Whether the lake is the 'best' is hard to say, that's largely a matter of personal experience and opinion. The angler who fishes mask or corrib regularly and who has success there may not agree. You see it's all lakes are different. To me sheelin is up there with the best dry fly lakes around, but I can't say its definatively the best.

Mmmm think your wrong there. Stocking did not save the lake. Over the years the IFI (under various other names and guises) put over three million mature stocked trout from the fish farm in roscrea into lough ennell. This was over a long period of time I believe around 30 years.
    In recent genetic surveys of ennell trout the scientists can not find any descendants of the three million stocked trout. In other words the stocked fish did not spawn and are gone. They have left no lineage worth talking about. They contributed nothing in the long term.

So stocking does not 'save' any lake, in fact far from it the stocked trout probably do more long term harm than good.

The ongoing recovery of sheelin has absolutely nothing to do with stocking.

Advertisement