Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric Tattoos

• 01-05-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if any boardsies have lyrics as tattoos? It is something that is getting more and more interesting to me each day and something I would consider!

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

Can't say it would be high up on my list of things to get. I mean, imaging getting the hottest lyrics of the 90's tattoo'd across your back.

Now imagine a decade later, trying to explain to someone why you went with "Too Legit to Quit."

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

good point!! obviously i'm not talking about getting "i'm a barbie girl" strapped across my torso but was just wondering what sort of tattoos, if any, people had!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

rcaz's rule of tattoos:
    If something's important enough to you that you'd want to get it permanently written on your skin, the act of writing it on your skin will completely undermine its significance.

Needless to say, I don't have any tattoos :pac:

I don't think "We've got heads on sticks, you've got ventriloquists." would look great across my chest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Ladjacket wrote: »
    good point!! obviously i'm not talking about getting "i'm a barbie girl" strapped across my torso but was just wondering what sort of tattoos, if any, people had!

What line would you get..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sinfonia wrote: »
    What line would you get..?

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
    I like to sink her with my pink torpedo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I got the lyric 'There, There' (a Radiohead tune) tattooed across my right bicep recently. People ask me what motivated me to get it done and I just say that I find the song quite affecting. It's achingly beautiful and it just felt like something I wanted to do. Isn't that motivation enough in itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Stompbox wrote: »
    I got the lyric 'There, There' (a Radiohead tune) tattooed across my right bicep recently. People ask me what motivated me to get it done and I just say that I find the song quite affecting. It's achingly beautiful and it just felt like something I wanted to do. Isn't that motivation enough in itself?

Maybe "creep" on the other bicep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Wouldn't imagine I'd get lyrics tattoo'd on me

I have no tattoos currently but have thought about them and would like one linked with music - I wouldn't necessarily agree with rcaz's input regarding

If something's important enough to you that you'd want to get it permanently written on your skin, the act of writing it on your skin will completely undermine its significance.

I think if something means something to you, and you want to constantly remind yourself about it - whether it's pain, happiness, lyrics that make you smile....whatever, then go for it.

For now there aren't any lyrics I'd say 'Yeah I'd like that tattoo'd on me' but I do have one or two lines from poems that mean quite a bit to me that I would consider in the future.

All that said - it's a good debate, nice thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Tempted for years to get either

'Living is easy with eyes closed'

'Forever Young'

'"La Tristesse Durera'

"Motorcycle Emptiness"

Could never decide which one to get.

Get 'Forever Young' just over your heart and watch the funny shapes it makes as you grow saggy man boobs in middle age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

While I dont like tattoos and would never consider one, I'd imagine that some kind of picture or logo etc, would look far better than words. The latter to me, would make someone look like a permanent sandwich man, or a wall of graffiti. :P Besides, those words that mean so much now, might be an embarrassment in in thirty or forty ( or less) years time.

However, to each their own.

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
    I like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Yeah, that would really look cool when you reach the age of say seventy five, and the torpedo is long past it's sinking days. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

people with 2 pac lyrics on them should be put down Iv always felt.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Yeah, that would really look cool when you reach the age of say seventy five, and the torpedo is long past it's sinking days. :D

It'd look better than any other lyric I could think of. Better than having an empowering or pseudo-intellectual quote perched upon your delasticated skin as a constant reminder in your dotage of what a tool you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I wouldn't even consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

yup have live forever on my leg and the cover of kasabian's debut album on my other leg. its my favorite album and it is special to me thats why i got it done.

It'd look better than any other lyric I could think of. Better than having an empowering or pseudo-intellectual quote perched upon your delasticated skin as a constant reminder in your dotage of what a tool you were.

Better still would be....a "blank page" !! ;)

I have to say some of the comments on tattoos here are fairly disrespectful imo

I don't have any tattoos, I know plenty of people who do, but the ignorance in calling somebody a tool for putting something on their body that means a lot to them is just downright ignorant.

I would always maintain that tattoos, like music is subjective - one persons cup of tea may not be anothers etc. etc. - that said, calling something that simply isn't in your taste shít is out of line imo.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I have to say some of the comments on tattoos here are fairly disrespectful imo

I don't have any tattoos, I know plenty of people who do, but the ignorance in calling somebody a tool for putting something on their body that means a lot to them is just downright ignorant.

I would always maintain that tattoos, like music is subjective - one persons cup of tea may not be anothers etc. etc. - that said, calling something that simply isn't in your taste shít is out of line imo.

Why can't I have an opinion and say I think something is idiotic if that's how I feel? Look, if you're mad in to your tats me saying I think they're sh¡t is not going to change your opinion, is it? There is nothing in this world that I would think is significant enough that I'd want to see it badly rendered on my body everyday for the rest of my life but that's my personal choice.

Band logos and lyrics would be extremely silly in my opinion and rank up there with chinese symbols and butterflies. Imagine seeing a person in their 50s with a Meatloaf tattoo, you'd think 'what a sad bastard' now think of yourself with your band tattoo in thirty years time and tell me it's not going to be the same thing.

Why can't I have an opinion and say I think something is idiotic if that's how I feel? Look, if you're mad in to your tats me saying I think they're sh¡t is not going to change your opinion, is it? There is nothing in this world that I would think is significant enough that I'd want to see it badly rendered on my body everyday for the rest of my life but that's my personal choice.

Band logos and lyrics would be extremely silly in my opinion and rank up there with chinese symbols and butterflies. Imagine seeing a person in their 50s with a Meatloaf tattoo, you'd think 'what a sad bastard' now think of yourself with your band tattoo in thirty years time and tell me it's not going to be the same thing.
    My point is that you're discussing something that's very personal to people who might be reading this thread - tattoos like music can be seen as art - I'm sure if somebody put up some of their music on this thread you wouldn't post up that they were shít.

Say what you want, I'm simply venting that a little sensitivity wouldn't go astray in this instance. Like you said - it's your opinion and you can express it how you like but what I've read so far in the thread is lacking in consideration - you're not going to change peoples opinions on their tattoos - I'm sure they love them and will continue to, but it's never nice to hear people referring to you as a tool due to a life choice they've made.

• Advertisement

My point is that you're discussing something that's very personal to people who might be reading this thread - tattoos like music can be seen as art - I'm sure if somebody put up some of their music on this thread you wouldn't post up that they were shít.

Say what you want, I'm simply venting that a little sensitivity wouldn't go astray in this instance. Like you said - it's your opinion and you can express it how you like but what I've read so far in the thread is lacking in consideration - you're not going to change peoples opinions on their tattoos - I'm sure they love them and will continue to, but it's never nice to hear people referring to you as a tool due to a life choice they've made.

What's lacking in consideration? Some people love the tattoos that they have and some deeply regret them. I'm in my mid thirties now and I know an awful lot of the later category these days. People that got tattoos that they thought were quite deep in their early twenties are a bit daft and a bit fecking permanent for their liking now and the people that regret getting them would say they were a tool for doing it. I was making a very generalized and jokey statement, I really don't get what your problem is with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What's lacking in consideration? Some people love the tattoos that they have and some deeply regret them. I'm in my mid thirties now and I know an awful lot of the later category these days. People that got tattoos that they thought were quite deep in their early twenties are a bit daft and a bit fecking permanent for their liking now and the people that regret getting them would say they were a tool for doing it. I was making a very generalized and jokey statement, I really don't get what your problem is with it.

No one is saying that one can't have a different opinion.

How you express that opinion can separate you from coming across like a well reasoned person or an 'orrible ****.

The choice is easy.

Not directing this at you, just explaining where people are coming form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Temaz wrote: »
    Tempted for years to get either

'Living is easy with eyes closed'
    I'm pretty sure Robbie Williams has that.. Dunno if that helps you decide at all :P

Are you seriously suggesting that people will have their feelings hurt or become dreadfully offended by reading this thread? Because that would be some seriously over-the-top hypersensitivity on their part. I agree that it's better to have a reasoned discussion on the merits and downfalls of something, but if somebody comes along with the simple argument that "it's sh*t" (whatever the topic may be), anyone can feel free to disregard it; becoming seriously offended would be a major overreaction.
    If someone calls me a tool because I like something, that's okay, I don't need to get upset about it.. As Reg D Hunter (or was it Louis CK?) once put it, "When did 'sticks and stones' stop being relevant?"

And if you don't think that people will unreasonably trash music and other art forms on this forum, the bulk of the threads here would presumably appall you.

lordgoat wrote: »

How you express that opinion can separate you from coming across like a well reasoned person or an 'orrible ****.

The choice is easy.

This.

Never said i had a problem with people having opinions. Said something about how the thread read to me and it read as being flippant regarding tattoos and would appear disrespectful to me were i to have a tattoo of the nature being discussed.

Call me hypersensitive but i was just calling it how i read it

This.

Never said i had a problem with people having opinions. Said something about how the thread read to me and it read as being flippant regarding tattoos and would appear disrespectful to me were i to have a tattoo of the nature being discussed.

Call me hypersensitive but i was just calling it how i read it

So you're getting hypothetically offended?

People can and should be able to get their point(s) and opinions across without the need for name calling, and personal remarks. It could be a comparatively harmless taunt at the start, but if left to go unchecked, could develop into something unsavery.

@ PaulieC :

If you are offended by people merely being flippant regarding tattoos, then yes, I would call you hypersensitive, and would suggest that perhaps forums like this are not for you. :)

So you're getting hypothetically offended?

I'm pointing out a possible situation, don't assume I'm getting offended by all of this.
    Rigsby wrote: »
    People can and should be able to get their point(s) and opinions across without the need for name calling, and personal remarks. It could be a comparatively harmless taunt at the start, but if left to go unchecked, could develop into something unsavery.

@ PaulieC :

If you are offended by people merely being flippant regarding tattoos, then yes, I would call you hypersensitive, and would suggest that perhaps forums like this are not for you. :)

IF Indeed. This isn't the case as I've already mentioned

Also, I've derailed the thread somewhat so apologies for this.

Couldn't think of any lyrics I'd get done myself....maybe 'I still feel you and the taste of cigarettes'

Blue Light by Bloc Party is one of my favorite songs and the line has a somewhat special meaning to me

lordgoat wrote: »

The choice is easy.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have said I was overly aggressive in tone in this thread but I suppose there's no accounting for how people will react. I guess I'm at an age where tattoos would have long ago lost any appeal for me. I remember about 12 years ago going over to Ibiza to meet the future brother in law who was working out there and as you walked around the beaches with the beaches with the tanned beautiful people I'll admit the tats had a certain amount of appeal and one I gave a very passing consideration to. When I arrived back at my workplace one of the first people I was talking to about it was my colleague who proceeded to show me his arm and the little cross tattoo he'd given himself as a 13 year old. He'd had 5 pretty painful and expensive enough laser sessions to try and get rid it removed and it was still as clear as day. That put cold water on the idea straight away as there was nothing I could think of that I'd put on my skin that was worth going through that if I lived to regret it. About 4 years ago, me and my family went over to Spain again on holidays and this time the beautiful people, like ugly me, had gotten paunchy and a little less muscular and the tattoos seemed to sigh on their saggy skins and I just thought 'There, but for the grace of god…'

The major tat heads bizarrely though I'd have no problem with. You know the guys with their bodies emblazoned with tattoos so that they almost become a roadmap of their lives. I respect those guys because that's hardcore. Tramp stamps and the like are just fashion accessories that happen to be permanent but are most likely to be regretted later in life. By all means go ahead and get a tattoo if you want but I would get you to ask yourself if you think, let's say, the lyrics of Stronger by Britney Spears are going to have the same resonance for you when you're 68 as they are after your break up with your partner.

And I'll leave you with Life in Hell:
    LifeInHell.gif

Now, I don't have any tattoos but I'm sure if I did I would be highly offended by that insensitive cartoon.

The major tat heads bizarrely though I'd have no problem with. You know the guys with their bodies emblazoned with tattoos so that they almost become a roadmap of their lives. I respect those guys because that's hardcore. Tramp stamps and the like are just fashion accessories that happen to be permanent but are most likely to be regretted later in life.

Agree with certain tattoos like trampstamps but I'd imagine lyrics wouldn't be as regrettable as something like that.
    Now, I don't have any tattoos but I'm sure if I did I would be highly offended by that insensitive cartoon.

lol

• Advertisement

I'm pointing out a possible situation, don't assume I'm getting offended by all of this.

Okay, so you're not offended, you're just highlighting the fact that I called nobody at all a tool but said that getting a tattoo might be a permanent reminder of when one was once a tool in a throwaway remark so that if you could possibly be offended, this is what you should be offended by. Right…

Advertisement