Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have a phobia that seriously affects your life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

ok but do you fly despite the phobia? Anyway I think a few valium and glasses of wine should do it...for me.. maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 honeyvale

rustopher wrote: »
    ok but do you fly despite the phobia? Anyway I think a few valium and glasses of wine should do it...for me.. maybe!
    you should be careful with a few valium could be a paradoxical reaction especially by adding alcohol to the mix

Sorry I didnt mean together... last time I just had 2 glasses of wine, but it doesn't mean will always be lucky. Would do one or the other, and if one doesn't work. Never found valium much good but maybe i just have a high tolerence to them and should up the dose... will ask a doc!
    But good to know...thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Since forever I've always been scared of wind turbines. I'm not sure if there is a name for this and they don't really affect my life but I would be a bit freaked out and sometimes a little short breathed if I was driving and came upon a wind farm around a corner. I clearly remember driving around Tenerife and finding loads of them on both sides of the road.

ok going to book flight tom.... or will I?? My world is so small, I need a change of scene!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

im having the same problem with flying,i never used to be like this about it after being on loads of flights even long haul ones.in 3 weeks im leaving for canada on a 5 hour flight and im petrified even thinking about it,if they're was a boat to canada believe me i'd be on it.anyways i find a drink or two and valium helps settle the nerves a bit,usually im like a rabbit in the headlights,breathing rapidly ,nostrils flaring upon take off.

Good at least it doesnt stop you going places, like me. Am trying to book flight to the sun as I would like to see and feel the sun for a change and enjoy a holiday but you'd think I had to pull my teeth out... its such a chore to me and those I'm going on holls wit!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I've just cancelled a holiday due to flying.

I book the flight saying 'I'll be grand and then im fill with dread for the week/months leading up to it. Its just not worth it :(

I,ve used the 'fear of flying CD's, tried valium, tried wine...Ah well its a good job i love this counrty :D

But a life time of being stuck in this country and not having the same freedom to experience other countries and cultures, i need to get away just for a break! It didnt bother me for a while I just got used to not going anywhere but now I'm hearing too much about other peoples holls, people they meet, places they've been especially now people take off to oz, middle east and all those far away places....I just want a sun holiday in anywhere in Europe!! :mad:

I know what u mean about the dread and fear leading up to it...it should be excitment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Social Phobia. Slowly learning to overcome it. It can make the simplest, everyday things seem harder than they should be.

• Advertisement

yeah heard of that.. a house mate I lived wit during college said she had it. I thought she was just shy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I have had social anxiety disorder since about 12... It's awful I avoid everything and I always miss out on parties Abd then regret it.. It's affecting my social life aswell because I find it hard to speak to people and I can't look at them and also my voice goes all girly and it's so embarrassing! I can't walk by people either or I night have a panic attack but I've learnt to control then I feel like a fool and trapped lol! But seeing a councillor person in September... I think the source of it's bullying because that lowered My confidence And I think I got s fear of speaking to people incase they critisised me it's so stupid! I hope the therapy works because I just want to get on with my life.. Its sad too because loads of people see me on my own and try to be my friend but it never works because the social anxiety makes it all awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Dante

owenc wrote: »
    I have had social anxiety disorder since about 12... It's awful I avoid everything and I always miss out on parties Abd then regret it.. It's affecting my social life aswell because I find it hard to speak to people and I can't look at them and also my voice goes all girly and it's so embarrassing! I can't walk by people either or I night have a panic attack

I know how you feel buddy, its a pain in the hole alright.

I would be interested to hear how it goes with the therapist.... best of luck with that!!!

I would be interested to hear how it goes with the therapist.... best of luck with that!!!

Ya it should go well but i've heard they only recognise your problems and not get rid of them! I wish you could just take tablets and then you'd be super confident LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bitchstalker

phobia of eejits on boards.ie

phobia of eejits on boards.ie

wtf.. you may not believe it but those phobias do exsist.

Bitchstalker!!! HA the name says it all!!!!! Just joined and nothing to do, is it??????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

@ bitchstalker

Contribute or begone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LandL84

What affects my quality of life is social anxiety and phone phobia (making and answering calls).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

LandL84 wrote: »
    What affects my quality of life is social anxiety and phone phobia (making and answering calls).

Yeah, telephobia and social anxiety usually go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

yep social phobia :(

Does everyone have social anxiety lol? Anyway here is a wee test thing.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/

I got 105 in the test and apparently thats very severe social anxiety. I don't think i have it that bad i think its severe because somedays its not that bad and some its awful but i'm not the type who can't go out of the house for months i'd die if it was that bad!

i got 80, which i think it pretty accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Dante

88 myself.

49 is my score, although low I would never do public speaking!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LandL84

Mine is 111... pretty bad, huh?.. :confused:

LandL84 wrote: »
    Mine is 111... pretty bad, huh?.. :confused:

i don't think the test is all that accurate, firstly it isn't all that long and it's in the internet it can only be so accurate

i also have a fear of large crowds, i used to know so much anymore, completely avoid large gatherings like festivals/parades and parties, oh god how i hated parties
    i still don't like them but the fear as become a lot more manageable

allydylan wrote: »
    i don't think the test is all that accurate, firstly it isn't all that long and it's in the internet it can only be so accurate

i also have a fear of large crowds, i used to know so much anymore, completely avoid large gatherings like festivals/parades and parties, oh god how i hated parties
    i still don't like them but the fear as become a lot more manageable

I agree if i was you i'd just take 10 or 15 points off your score and that would be more accurate. Because apparently i have very severe anxiety, that is not true sometimes i have no anxiety and others i do but when i do it can be bad so its not really that accurate i just thought it would be interesting.

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    I agree if i was you i'd just take 10 or 15 points off your score and that would be more accurate. Because apparently i have very severe anxiety, that is not true sometimes i have no anxiety and others i do but when i do it can be bad so its not really that accurate i just thought it would be interesting.

no it was, i think my score was pretty accurate, but just cos i feel it was accurate for me doesn't mean it will me for everyone

Advertisement