Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie in north county dublin

• 02-08-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Does anyone know any good spots for sea fishing around Donabate/Portrane or North County Dublin in general? Was thinking of taking it up as a hobby to take advantage of living so close to the sea and also cause I was told the mackeral season is in but not sure if there's any decent spots to fish round here? I had a look on this forum and on the Eastern regional Fisheries Boards site and some other websites for advice for absolute beginners. Also I went for a stroll dow the pier in Dun Laoghaire and got some advice from a lad fishing there on how to start out etc. I read that Bass can be caught in Rogerstown Estuary. Anyone had any luck fishing round there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Hi Matt, we have ben fishing out of rush harbour this summer. Have had good success with the mack's. Rogerstown is a good spot but you need to get the tides right for the fish. An hour before the turn is usually good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks for the reply Balfey,

Went out to Skerries on the weekend and tried fishing from the pier with feathers but had no luck. No one seemed to be catching anything out there. Is the pier in Rush any good do you know?

I've been down in Rogerstown a few nights now. I just have a spinner at the moment though as I don't have much gear - just the 9ft rod rod/reel/spinner/feathers. The other lads seem to be using bait. Have you heard of anyone catching anything there with spinners at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Hey matt,

If these lads are having a bit more success than you go over and ask them for advice. Ask them to show you their set up and ask what bait they are using and where they got it. 99% of the fellas you will meet out fishing will be only too happy to help out a new angler.

If they ain't too chatty take a casual walk past one of them when he is setting up his gear or re-baiting and spy on his tactics!

Sorry i aint from Dublin so can't offer any advice on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Hi Matt,

There has been very little activity this year off the piers in Rush or Skerries. To be honest I haven't beach cast in Rogerstown despite growing up 500 yards from the place.

We are hoping to go out this Sunday for the day, (Lambay for some pollock) weather permitting but have a full boat, pm your mobile number and I'll arrange for you to get out on the boat for a spot of mack fishing in the next few weeks before they start to head off if you are interested.

I have used the hoki mackeral rigs with great success. Had a great mackeral rig that i got as part of a hok set in aldi and it was the best by far. Lost it on Sat evening after it got snared in a lobster pot line. gutted. just after ordering some new rigs so hopefuly have them in the next day or two.

Derek.

Advertisement