Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attic conversion - differing opinions!

• 23-04-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭firefish

We have two different opinions on whether an attic conversion is possible, given floor to apex height. The height would be 2.2m, so possible or not?
    Also roughly how much does an attic conversion cost?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

You can convert for storage ONLY not for habitation.
    €15-25k .
    ish

• You can convert for storage ONLY not for habitation.
    €15-25k .
    ish

Yes, got mine done a few years ago for about €30k but we were getting other stuff done as well. I store one of my kids up there along with his bed and all his stuff.

If getting the attic done, you should see if they can run a CAT6 cable into it as well. Attics always have poor WiFi if your router is 2 floors below.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

firefish wrote: »
    We have two different opinions on whether an attic conversion is possible, given floor to apex height. The height would be 2.2m, so possible or not?

whats 'acceptable' and whats 'possible' can be two completely separate things, and probably where the differing opinions comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭firefish

sydthebeat wrote: »
    whats 'acceptable' and whats 'possible' can be two completely separate things, and probably where the differing opinions comes from.

Hmmm, I guess acceptable! I know it couldn't be described as a bedroom when selling but would it be ok for using as an occasional guest room or play den? Or would it feel too cramped? Do people convert attics this size?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well then if 'non habitable' is available to you. ... it comes down to specific engineering of the problem ie will any ceiling joists be too high? Do the floor joists need to be strengthened? Can the rafters still be adequately supported etc.

We can't comment on that for you, but if you've had an engineer say it's possible (and they will stand over it with certification) then the decision rests with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

firefish wrote: »
    It's really up to you op,get up in the attic with a good light and imagine it's kitted out even put a few boards down and walk around,of your happy go ahead.
    As said its only for storage.there's nothing against having a lush storage Attic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yes, got mine done a few years ago for about €30k but we were getting other stuff done as well. I store one of my kids up there along with his bed and all his stuff.

If getting the attic done, you should see if they can run a CAT6 cable into it as well. Attics always have poor WiFi if your router is 2 floors below.

:D

Advertisement